C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Grand Sport or CTS-V

Old 08-13-2010, 01:27 PM
MattLangley
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette Grand Sport or CTS-V

So my wife and I are saving to buy a new car in about 1-2 years. We are going to pay off our mustang (2006 very base model with pretty low mileage) in about year so we will have a 4 seat car and will get the vette or cadi as a second car (that we'll probably drive daily though).

So in looking ahead we've been debating between a Corvette Grand Sport (we want a car with automatic) or a Cadillac CTS-V. The cadillac would be more convenient, we'd go for the four door sedan, though in keeping our mustang we don't necessarily need another 4 seat car. We really enjoy both of them for different reasons and are really torn, was wondering if anyone here is driven both and can share what the driving differences are.

Right now we're leaning towards the vette since we'd rather have something more sporty and more fun to drive (we don't have any kids right now either so our mustang will last us for a long while for practicality). Also the vette has better mileage and we want to take whatever new powerful car we get on road trips, etc.

Any thoughts, perceptions, or comments are greatly appreciated
Old 08-13-2010, 01:34 PM
TOBASCO
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 62 Posts
CI 2-4-5-6-7-8-10-11-12 Vet
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '08-'11-'13-'14-'15

I think you'll find similar answers from most here - Get the Vette!

But ultimately it comes down to what you want in the car. The GS will give you yet better sports car feel, though the CTS V is a great car too with a lot of spunk.

You didn't say what climate you're in. If you're up north, your winter driving will be something to consider vs. The V.

But all in all, I think the choice is obvious.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Epic_C6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind the $10,000 difference in MSRP of the 2 cars. You will easily be able to get a Grand Sport vette for under MSRP by 5,000 to even 10,000 off MSRP. I have hardly even seen any CTS-Vs for sale let a lone anything off of MSRP at all. That may change in 2 years when you want to get a car but they also may be releasing the C7 corvette at that time. I think if you want a more sporty car for trips and things of that nature, the Grand Sport would definitely work great for you. The CTS-V is an awesome car but it is a luxury car not a sports car. I mean they make BMW and Mercedes with 500-600hp but they aren't sports cars they are luxury cars. These are 2 different types of cars, if you want sporty get the vette if you want luxury get the caddy.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:39 PM
diverdan
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

While both are fun. It's a question of which fits you better. Both are fast, though the Vette is faster. Both are practical, though the CTS-V is more practical (except for the mileage).

I've owned both and found that as a primary car, I preferred the Vette, as I really like a low high-performance sports car.

I guess if I were in your position, I would get the CTS-V Sedan and then later look for a used Vette as a replacement for the Mustang, since they are both 2 door cars. This would give you the maximum versatility. Alternately, you could get the Vette and then later trade out the mustang for CTS-V (First generation ones are pretty reasonable).

Whatever you decide, good luck!
Old 08-13-2010, 01:40 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Neither car is really good for the winter. Corvette is more economical by far. Will you like paying big SUV type prices for gas when the price goes back up to $4-5 a gallon? Cadillacs usually have terrible resale value. To prove my point look at the values of 2005 Vette vs 2005 CTS V. The V is below $20k. Both were about $50k to start with.

I'm seriously looking at the MB E-class for my next car with the 5.5L V8 or an Audi, either will have AWD.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:50 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,569 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Both are great cars.....

Old 08-13-2010, 01:53 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Last buying decision for me came down to CTS-V vs. Corvette Z06. I got the Corvette and couldn't be happier. Of course, you can probably guess you'll get that type of answer when you post a question like that on the Corvette Forum.

Last edited by tonypittman; 08-13-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Honestly?? You say your going to buy one in one or two years?? Come back when it is closer to that time..SO MUCH can change in that time.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:06 PM
SBKfan
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm a big fan of the CTS-V. Although, I wouldn't trade my vette over one.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:17 PM
jsims002
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MattLangley
Any thoughts, perceptions, or comments are greatly appreciated
<-----First fill this info out.

Both are "ok" choices.
Have you asked this question on a CTS-V forum? What did they say?
Old 08-13-2010, 02:21 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

In these situations I always say if you have to ask then get the other car.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:30 PM
MattLangley
Heel & Toe

Thanks, lots of great responses. As far as winter, we live in Las Vegas, Nevada, so not much to worry about for Winter weather in the Desert. My family lives in Phoenix, AZ so desert -> desert driving when visiting. My wife's family lives in Utah so a bit mixed, though most of them don't live in deep winter areas so we don't have to worry about winter weather driving for the most part.

I definitely expected the Vette response here, though I've been scanning the forums quite a bit lately and found a lot of people who speak highly of the CTS-V as well so figured I'd ask. We have a good year or so, we nearly traded in our mustang and got one though figured we'd be more practical and keep our mustang so we'd have four seats... If we went for the CTS-V we might go for it sooner and trade in our mustang, but it'd be nice to have two cars so we're trying to be practical and wait lol, with how tempting a vette is though it's hard

I am definitely keeping my eye on what happens for 2012 models next year, though so far I haven't heard anything expecting a huge change, though I'm definitely keep my eyes open. A good point was made about the Vette GS being cheaper than the CTS-V and that definitely gives it even more points. Thanks for all of the responses, think this reinforces us still leaning towards the Vette.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:34 PM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I'm seriously looking at the MB E-class for my next car with the 5.5L V8 or an Audi, either will have AWD.
Saw my first E550 Coupe yesterday. But I don't think they offer the coupe in AWD.
Wouldn't mind an 2010+ E sedan 4matic myself.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:39 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MattLangley
Thanks, lots of great responses. As far as winter, we live in Las Vegas, Nevada, so not much to worry about for Winter weather in the Desert. My family lives in Phoenix, AZ so desert -> desert driving when visiting. My wife's family lives in Utah so a bit mixed, though most of them don't live in deep winter areas so we don't have to worry about winter weather driving for the most part.

I definitely expected the Vette response here, though I've been scanning the forums quite a bit lately and found a lot of people who speak highly of the CTS-V as well so figured I'd ask. We have a good year or so, we nearly traded in our mustang and got one though figured we'd be more practical and keep our mustang so we'd have four seats... If we went for the CTS-V we might go for it sooner and trade in our mustang, but it'd be nice to have two cars so we're trying to be practical and wait lol, with how tempting a vette is though it's hard

I am definitely keeping my eye on what happens for 2012 models next year, though so far I haven't heard anything expecting a huge change, though I'm definitely keep my eyes open. A good point was made about the Vette GS being cheaper than the CTS-V and that definitely gives it even more points. Thanks for all of the responses, think this reinforces us still leaning towards the Vette.
Don't get us wrong, I think all of us like, love, respect, and some own a CTS/V but it's an apple to oranges comparison; and if you need an orange then an apple just won't do.

If you change CTS/V to Porsche Boxster you'd get 7 pages of discussion but if you need a back seat then a Corvette is not for you.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:45 PM
moog5050
Racer

I test drove a new CTS-V and it is fast, but it doesn't feel as raw and the corvette. I like driving the vette better. Its a nice car and if you need a back seat, a perfect choice. I am considering the change to a CTS-V only because we rarely use the vette with 2 young ones. I am still waivering as the vette is a 3rd car for us now. I would just like to use it more and with a 20 month old, we usually have the kids with us on the weekends. We'll see.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:18 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
Don't get us wrong, I think all of us like, love, respect, and some own a CTS/V but it's an apple to oranges comparison; and if you need an orange then an apple just won't do.

If you change CTS/V to Porsche Boxster you'd get 7 pages of discussion but if you need a back seat then a Corvette is not for you.

My thought on this..yea the CTS-V is fast as hell and a cool car., but it's still a Caddy, I'll admit I stereo type Caddy's cuz I see so many elderly people driving them...yea I know not the CTS-v, but a caddy is a caddy.

IMO this is a no brainer. The GS looks bad azz and way cool If I had the money, I'd buy my parents (boomers but not elderly of course) a CTS-V, and my sister and brother a GS. Sorry you asked for an opinion so I gave one

Last edited by FrankTank; 08-13-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I own both a 2008 CTS and a 2010 Vette. I contemplated trading in the CTS and getting just the V. The biggest problem I had was I've already experienced the car and wanted to try something new. I also wanted something that was lighter, smaller and lower to the ground.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Grand Sport or CTS-V

Old 08-13-2010, 04:28 PM
TRR
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am fortunate to own both. The CTS-V is an awesome car, and it makes me wonder why GM short changes the Corvette owners. I do not understand how GM can put so much more in the V and sale it for the same money and some times less then the Corvette. The bottom line however, is if I could only have one of them, it would be the Corvette. I just wish GM would give us what we're paying for.

TRR
Old 08-13-2010, 04:30 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Great 4-door sedan or great 2-seat sports car?
Old 08-13-2010, 04:35 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,918 Likes on 4,804 Posts

Both good choices but really different in many ways, as mentioned 1-2 years is a ways off. I would wait until the time gets closer and you are ready to lay down that money. Take them both for a test ride and decide then which one meets your needs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette Grand Sport or CTS-V