C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

California 63 License Plate Gold touch up paint needed

Old 08-05-2010, 03:31 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

Default California 63 License Plate Gold touch up paint needed

I need to only touch up the gold letters and numbers on my '63 YOM plates. Is there a gold color I can get that matches? Thanks
Old 08-05-2010, 03:59 PM
xiaoman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello, i have used one-shot imitation gold on my yellow black plates (56)...i think it is the same color yellow as was used on 63 ..give it a try . it goes on lighter and when dry was perfect for repairing my 56 plates.
xiaoman
Old 08-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Make sure you do an undetectable job if you have to show it to the gov.,they frown on this kind of thing in some places. K
Old 08-05-2010, 05:25 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

Ben, Where do you buy the one-shot gold paint?
Old 08-05-2010, 10:38 PM
xiaoman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jtranger
Ben, Where do you buy the one-shot gold paint?
you should be able to find it at a large art supply store, automotive paint or try tcp global they always have ithttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

just a tip for you if you are completely restoring not just touching up, clean all the old paint off and use a good primer...paint the body of the plate with several coats of yellow and let it dry a long time( you can use a hardener with some paints so check first for compatibility). i mask off the letters after all is dry/hard it does not have to be perfect but the nicer the better...use a stripping tape 1/8 or just cut some 1/2 blue tape smaller(makes the radius easier to get on. ..cover anything you want to remain yellow. spray the plate black (light coats not one heavy one be patient!) and clean any areas you need to. DONT RUSH TO GET THE TAPE OFF!... it will pull up if you are not careful. you can touch up any missed spots with a fine brush or stripers brush if you have on...some paint the whole plate and either sand or try to wipe the 2nd color with paint thinner ..i think my way is easier and cleaner. takes some time but in the end you have a clean/nice plate.
regards , xiaoman

Get notified of new replies

To California 63 License Plate Gold touch up paint needed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: California 63 License Plate Gold touch up paint needed