C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Cleaning

Old 07-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Washtubman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Convertible Top Cleaning

I bought a 03 convertible and it has a stained area on the top about ten inches in diameter. I bought Raggtopp and cleaned it twice, and although it is better, it is still noticeable. The second cleaning, I let the cleaner sit about 20 minutes before lightly brushing it. So, I am assuming a third cleaning would not accomplish much. Any ideas on what might work? I am not sure what the stain is from, but it looks like it may have been from an oily substance. I have great results from "Tuff Stuff" on carpet, etc., but am a little apprehensive on trying it on the top. Any suggestions or solutions would be appreciated.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:33 PM
MidYearRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

try Dawn dish liquid, it releases grease...try that .
Old 07-29-2010, 02:38 PM
dub squared
Instructor

When my 05 was delivered last month the carrier that brought it had an old (1930s)Chrysler sitting on the top rack that leaked oil all over my car including the top. I used Ragg Topp twice and didn't notice a difference. I called the company and actually got the owner, Rick, on the phone. Really nice guy. He told me to mix a solution of 1/3 Ragg Topp and 2/3 water and spray the stain, let it sit for 30 minutes, spray it again adn work it in with a brush and let it sit for 30 minutes and spray again and let it sit for 30 minutes. Boom...stain ws gone. Top loops brand new. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:44 PM
KP08
Advanced

Great information.

I usually just water off my top, but have recently been thinking about actually cleaning it. I have a gray top on a silver 08 and while it looks good I worry about somehow hurting it.

What type of brush are you guys using and do you treat it with anything afterwards ?
Old 07-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I would NOT use Tuff Stuff. I've seen it work great, but, on certain fabrics/carpets, I've seen it "bleach" the fabric and ruin it.

Whatever you try, I'd do a "test patch" on the rear, bottom side (the part that tucks under and you can't see until you lift the top). That way, you'll be sure and won't ruin your top.

Last edited by Luster; 07-30-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:38 PM
cartop2
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KP08
Great information.

I usually just water off my top, but have recently been thinking about actually cleaning it. I have a gray top on a silver 08 and while it looks good I worry about somehow hurting it.

What type of brush are you guys using and do you treat it with anything afterwards ?
I sold my Vert, but I used Ragtop to clean and seal it.

I would suggest buying the Ragtop kit. It has a bottle of cleaner and a spray can of sealer. After you clean the top, let it completely dry, then spray on sealer. I masked off the windows and covered the paint to prevent overspray from getting on things.

I wouldn't use a cleaner on my top unless planning to seal it, and I certainly wouldn't seal in dirt, so clean it well first.

I found the best price on Amazon.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:16 PM
dub squared
Instructor

That's exactly what I used: the Ragg Topp kit. After I did four applications to remove the oil stains, I used the sealer. Rick, the owner, said to not even wash the top; just use a lint brush. That's what I have been doing. I used a soft bristle brush that I bought at Target in the automotive section. I think it was labeled for grills and wheels. Rick told me that if you rub it on your arm and doesn't leave a mark or scratch it will be safe for the top. The key is to let the chemicals do the work, not the brush. Hope it works as well for you as it did for me. Check out the Raggtopp website. They sell direct and the price is pretty good. FYI. Let us know how it works out for you. By the way, my car is silver with a graphite (gray) top.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Washtubman
Advanced

Originally Posted by dub squared
When my 05 was delivered last month the carrier that brought it had an old (1930s)Chrysler sitting on the top rack that leaked oil all over my car including the top. I used Ragg Topp twice and didn't notice a difference. I called the company and actually got the owner, Rick, on the phone. Really nice guy. He told me to mix a solution of 1/3 Ragg Topp and 2/3 water and spray the stain, let it sit for 30 minutes, spray it again adn work it in with a brush and let it sit for 30 minutes and spray again and let it sit for 30 minutes. Boom...stain ws gone. Top loops brand new. Good luck.
Did you wet the top first or spray it on dry?
Old 07-29-2010, 11:42 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

In my detailing shop we put Ragg Top on a dry top and use a soft/medium stiff brush to scrub it. Don't be afraid to use some pressure when you scrub it, you won't wreck the top. You will if you use enough pressure to mangle the brush, but some decent pressure won't hurt anything. As stated on very tough stains we let it sit, scrub it and use water from a hose under pressure(Full or Jet setting). NOTE: not a pressure washer, a regular hose with a nozzle capable of delivering decent water pressure.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:17 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by KP08
Great information.

With a Corvette you will want the Fabric kit, and then a sturdy brush for cleaning step. When you get to the protectant step make sure roof is completely dry for best results and longest protection. Thats it !

http://www.autogeek.net/apbrus.html

Originally Posted by Washtubman
Did you wet the top first or spray it on dry?
http://www.autogeek.net/rafaca.html
(there is a video to show how to use Raggtop properly)
Old 07-30-2010, 10:00 AM
madmxnj
Racer

After a thorough cleaning with raggtopp and soft bristle brush, let it dry completely, ususally 24 hours in the garage with the dehumidifier on. then a few rolls with the lint brush, until the lint brush comes up clean. Then mask off the windows and the car. you do not want to get the raggtopp cleaner on glass or paint.

I'll do 3 coats over a 24 hour period. Again, letting it completely dry and cure before touching the car. I do this once every 2 years. My car only see's 5K mi/year. routine washings are just hosing it off or using the lint brush. Some say its a little overkill, but the top still looks brand new.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by madmxnj
After a thorough cleaning with raggtopp and soft bristle brush, let it dry completely, ususally 24 hours in the garage with the dehumidifier on. then a few rolls with the lint brush, until the lint brush comes up clean. Then mask off the windows and the car. you do not want to get the raggtopp cleaner on glass or paint.

I'll do 3 coats over a 24 hour period. Again, letting it completely dry and cure before touching the car. I do this once every 2 years. My car only see's 5K mi/year. routine washings are just hosing it off or using the lint brush. Some say its a little overkill, but the top still looks brand new.
Nice work... I'll remember your plastic covering technique when I go to do mine!
Old 07-30-2010, 02:18 PM
diverman
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My car sat outside under a cover for two months while I was laid up. The top had mildew stains on it when I took it off. I tried Rag Top but it didn't work. A canvas shop put me on to a product called Iosso it worked great, I did use the Rag Top sealer after it was clean
Old 07-30-2010, 05:13 PM
KP08
Advanced

Thanks everyone. I will check out the Rag Top product per your suggestions.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Washtubman
Advanced

[QUOTE=madmxnj;1574856088]After a thorough cleaning with raggtopp and soft bristle brush, let it dry completely, ususally 24 hours in the garage with the dehumidifier on. then a few rolls with the lint brush, until the lint brush comes up clean. Then mask off the windows and the car. you do not want to get the raggtopp cleaner on glass or paint.]

The directions and video do not say anything about not getting it on the paint or glass???
Old 07-30-2010, 06:25 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 243 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

[QUOTE=Washtubman;1574860615The directions and video do not say anything about not getting it on the paint or glass???[/QUOTE]

It won't hurt anything but it IS "oily" and hard to wipe off.

Tom
Old 07-30-2010, 06:36 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

The directions and video do not say anything about not getting it on the paint or glass???
In the video is does touch on it lightly, best bet is to wipe off the overspray from protectant while its still damp. If you find it hard to remove, use a little glass cleaner and its comes up quickly.

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible Top Cleaning

Old 07-31-2010, 11:55 AM
Washtubman
Advanced

Well I just cleaned the top a third time with Ragg Topp. Applied, let sit 20 minutes, brushed, applied more, let sit another 15 minutes, brushed and rinsed. Stain is still visible. Found out from the previous owner that the stain is actually wax. Bottle setting on the roof tipped over and he tried to wipe it up, but obviously the damage was done. So, next step will be to try the dawn dishwashing liquid unless someone else has a better idea?? Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:59 PM
Bandit1
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Wash the top with Dawn and allow to dry. Follow it up with cleaning the top with Aerospace 303 Fabric/Vinyl cleaner. Finish off with Aerospace 303 Protectant or your favorite vert top dressing.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:58 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Well I just cleaned the top a third time with Ragg Topp. Applied, let sit 20 minutes, brushed, applied more, let sit another 15 minutes, brushed and rinsed. Stain is still visible. Found out from the previous owner that the stain is actually wax. Bottle setting on the roof tipped over and he tried to wipe it up, but obviously the damage was done. So, next step will be to try the dawn dishwashing liquid unless someone else has a better idea?? Thanks for the replies.
Dried wax is commonly removed by solvents (to harsh for roof) or peanut butter (oils work, believe it or not). I am not a fan of Dawn in car care and suspect they would not even suggest using on a Fabric Roof. While I am relucant to offer it, is there a small spot where you can try some peanut oil to see if it loosens the dried wax which is likely intewoven into the fabric. Once done, the oil will easily be removed by Ragtopp.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Convertible Top Cleaning