C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery on new 2010 C6 Corvette

Old 07-26-2010, 10:40 PM
dennisdlj
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dead Battery on new 2010 C6 Corvette

When I was at the dealership to look at my future car, the battery was dead sitting in the showroom. They charged it up and everything seemed to go ok. A week after I bought it, the battery was dead again. I know that after "awhile" the battery could go dead but only in one week? The dealer ordered me a new battery. Am I to expect it to go dead in only a week's time with the new battery. Do I have to remove one battery cable or put a battery buddy on it when it sits in the garage all week? What do you guys do??? Thanks for your input. Dennis
Old 07-26-2010, 10:56 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

If it was completely dead and needed charging, how much did you drive it? Was it enough to properly charge it? Answer is no. It ususlly does not go dead in 7 days. My '10 Z06 don't. I remember the day I picked it up from dealer, the first time I got in it and cranked it, it turned over very slowly. It had been sitting on lot for six months, but after the 120 mile drive back home it charged and has NEVER had any problem. I usually plug it in to battery tender on Sunday evenings because I do not drive it to work during the hottest summer (July/August) months because of the intense sun/heat....it fades interiors/paint after several summers.....and I plan on keeping my 427 for a long time....But nope....batteries DO NOT go dead in a week. Need to drive enough to charge and keep it chargedm especially summer months.....winter you'll be wishing you had....
Old 07-26-2010, 11:03 PM
stockticker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a battery tender, we have to drive these cars for them to live. you shouldnt let it sit for too long (3 weeks is pushing it). the car you bought may have sat for weeks without a start-up.

During winter, and for OnStar's sake, I go out and start up the car and let it run for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, since I dont drive during winter, the battery tender stays plugged in to prevent the battery from dying since its not being driven

perfectly normal...and makes u realize...youre driving a chevy
Old 07-27-2010, 12:26 AM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default ah...

It has a lot of computers.. on standby... Drive it or Charge it...
Old 07-27-2010, 12:41 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

And you do have to drive it for 15-20 minutes, just to recover the amount of charge it took to start the car.

Fortunately, I drive my DD about 3-4 times a week. One of those times is a 150 mile round trip on the interstate at 70-75 mph. My 06 coupe still has the original battery in it.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:52 AM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Several possibilities including:

1. look at build date.
2. defective new battery.
3. be happy that that is the most of your worries.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:02 AM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

Location: Boca Raton Inlet, Atlantic Ocean (Floridas east coast)

Originally Posted by AtHomeSoda
Old 07-27-2010, 02:28 AM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Have they checked the battery yet. If the battery has failed 2 times in this short a time period I think you need a new battery...
Old 07-27-2010, 04:06 AM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Once a battery is discharged and charged several times it is headed to the battery "graveyard" because every time this happens it sucks the very life out of a battery.
Your new one should be just fine as long as you use a tender or disconnect the neg. cable when it is not being driven. Good luck.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:22 AM
VettinFan
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

That battery may have been deeply discharged while at the dealer. It's not unusual for batteries to die when they are at the dealership. They are really abused. Car is never driven, everyone is in and out of the car, using the power seats, opening the deck lid, interior lights are ON often, listening to radio, etc. If the battery is bad most likely all you got was a surface charge.

You should be okay with the new battery. It is always strongly recommended that you put the car on a battery tender if it's gonna sit for long periods.

Congratulation with the new car.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:01 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,219 Likes on 409 Posts

The battery should be good for three to four weeks when the car is idle. In your case, the battery may have been bad or simply gone dead during storage.

A new battery will likely take care of the problem ... it did for me when the battery on my 2009 went dead twice after a year of use. When being stored for extended periods of time, you really need to have it on a tender though. I use a CEK 3300 and have had great luck with it.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:04 AM
St.Char
Melting Slicks

Received 282 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by AtHomeSoda
Old 07-27-2010, 10:12 AM
GSRANDY
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For what it's worth, the battery on my 2010 GS failed at approximately 3 months and 300 miles, two weeks after coming out of storage.

All that happened when I hit the on button was the infamous click-click-click sound. The battery voltage would drop below 10VDC immediately.

The actual battery seemed to take a charge fine, however it was unable to output any current to the starter.

I had my 1.25A battery tender connected all the while from January until early April.

The first time in my life I had to use a set of jumper cables to start one of my vehicles.

My dealership replaced the battery under warranty and I haven't had any issues since with 1,500 miles on the DIC.

I wish you early resolution to your issue.

Regards,

GSRANDY
Old 07-27-2010, 11:46 AM
MikeySoft
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stockticker
Buy a battery tender, we have to drive these cars for them to live. you shouldnt let it sit for too long (3 weeks is pushing it). the car you bought may have sat for weeks without a start-up.

During winter, and for OnStar's sake, I go out and start up the car and let it run for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, since I dont drive during winter, the battery tender stays plugged in to prevent the battery from dying since its not being driven

I have one of these, was going through batteries like the wind....

Since I got a battery Tender, no issues.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:00 PM
jnx911
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by stockticker

You are doing more harm than good by running it for 5 minutes in the winter. You are causing condensation to develop in the crankcase.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:02 PM
jor8888
Racer

once its dead, its wont hold the juice like a new one.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Everyone here wants to use a battery tender, but we've never used one on any of our Corvettes over the years, or any other car. The secret, as mentioned above, is to drive the darned thing. Each of our cars gets driven at least once per week for at least ten miles per trip. That seems to be enough.

Our 2006 C6 (sold) and now 2009 C6 are doing just fine without a tender. Of course, we drive them over 15,000 miles per year. If we happen to be out of town on vacation, the C6 and other cars will start after sitting two weeks.

But if you can't drive it often, then the tender may be necessary.

Get notified of new replies

To Dead Battery on new 2010 C6 Corvette

Old 07-27-2010, 02:07 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

I just pull the negative terminal off.

Over the winter hook it up to a tender, but for a few weeks its not necessary if its unhooked.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:09 PM
jackcasa
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

"Buy a battery tender, we have to drive these cars for them to live. you shouldnt let it sit for too long (3 weeks is pushing it). the car you bought may have sat for weeks without a start-up."
I use battery tenders w/quick disconnects on all our vehicles. One of our cars, not a Corvette, went seven (7) years and three months before I had to replace the OEM battery.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Zache
Intermediate

I was driving my '10 GS down the road on a sunny day when I got a low amp warning, then every warning in the car goes off, foot off the gas, back on the gas and nothing. Drifted to a stop, doors wouldn't even open, climbed out, got towed, jumping would not work. They replaced the alternator, and everything has been fine since. Should not need a battery caddy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dead Battery on new 2010 C6 Corvette