C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Campbell Hausfeld Catch Can Mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:05 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Campbell Hausfeld Catch Can Mod

Long story that I'll try and Cliff's Notes for you:

After installing my ECS kit my original PCV setup was a single CH catch can with the arrow reversed so the air would have to go through the stone filter first, then out. I had the valve cover nipple capped off and the breather oil cap that came with the ECS kit. This is how ECS says to do it with the exception of capping off the valve cover. They say to route that to a hose barb built into the air filter but I figured the breather would serve the same purpose.

I was catching plenty of oil in the single CH can but I was sure oil was getting past it so I put another on in series with it. I put the arrrow pointing the opposite direction as the other since there is/was a debate about which direction to point the CH cans; I was pointing both ways so I should be golden .

The second can caught some as well and I was fairly sure there was still a good bit getting past both cans.

Since I didn't want oil in my intake I decided to delete the PCV system; cappping off everything except the valve cover breather. This resulted in oil residue on the coil cover and a noticable oil smell that made its way into the cabin regardless of whether recirculate was on or off. No oil in the intake but I couldn't take the smell any longer. After driving it for 10 minutes my shirt would smell like oil/gas. No to mention I was not expelling the contaminants in the crank case.

So I started looking at a real catch can and how things should really be routed which spawned this thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...n-is-best.html

I learned some things about the different available cans and I also learned that there are two parts to the system, the PCV AND the fresh air source. I had neglected or misunderstood the latter (Thanks Tracy for your PM which cleared that up for me).

So after looking at real catch cans it came down to the RevXtreme or Saikou Michi. Both of which have long dispersion tubes as well as filter media (Saikou) or baffling discs (RevXtreme). I was getting ready to pull the trigger but during my research I found a good thread on a Mustang site about modifying a CH can: http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1031385

That gave me the idea to add a dispersion tube and more media to my CH cans. So I got some 1/2" copper tubing (like in a house) which just barely fit over the stone filter in the CH. I cut it to 2.26" which made it the length of the CH can and I put some slits at the bottom and relief holes for when the oil level gets higher than the slits.

It fits in the can perfectly and unlike the Mustang guy I kept the stone filter. So the air/oil needs to go through the entire stone filter, then down the tube to the bottom of the can, then do a 180 and then around a baffle built into the top of the CH can in order to get out.

Then I filled the can with steel wool. I would like a different material more like the Mustang guy had but I had this lying around so I used it for now. I'm not worried about it degrading and getting into the intake because I am running this can in series with another one just like it but with no steel wool in it.

So for my PCV system I have these two cans in series from the lifter valley to the intake with a check valve in between the TB and catch cans because of the blower. I found a new place to put them that is pretty stealthy:

And for my fresh air source I have a single can (no steel wool) from the valve cover nipple to the air filter ahead of the blower. The reason for this can is under boost the check valve will disable the two cans in series and instead of sucking air from the fresh air source it will be blowing out of it and I don't want oil going through the blower, intercooler and manifold:

I acutally had to move this can over where the others are because the ECS shroud would not go back on with it there. I could have gotten it to work with some 90 degree brass fittings but was in a hurry.

And I still have the ECS breather oil cap but I would like to omit that as soon as I can find my original oil cap to ensure there are no oil vapors in the engine bay that can make their way into the cabin. So routing looks much like this except I have another catch can in place of the check valve in-between the valve cover and air filter ahead of the blower:

Thanks to Tracy for the diagram.

I will likely get a RevX or dual Saikou setup later but I had most of this stuff lying around and wanted to see how it would work first. All I can say so far is my shirt didn't smell like oil/gas when I got to work this morning. I'll report on how well it works after some miles. I hope/expect that there will be little to no oil in the second can. I had not too long ago removed my intake manifold and sprayed it out with brake cleaner so I know it was 100% dry before this so if I see any oil in the intake I know it's still not working well enough.

Last edited by 5 Liter Eater; 07-12-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:30 PM
deano9666
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-12-2010, 07:22 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

What are you doing for the seals between the clear plastic bowls and the metal top of the CH? Everytime I unscrew the bowl from the top that seal pops out and it is so stretched that it's impossible to re-install it. I haven't been able to buy a replacement O ring that's the right size.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:55 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

I just looked and mine don't have any seals or I lost them long ago. I just snug them up. The new one I have for the fresh air line seems to have a seal that comes off and sticks to the bowl. Not sure if it will give me trouble later on.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:29 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I love the experimentation.

Why don't you get a stainless brillo pad? I know steel wool disintegrates to dust when you use it...I'd hate to get that dust in the engine, not sure it would disintegrate under this use or not but seems most catch cans use a more brillo like material.

Are you going to go with a Revxtreme can when you are done fooling around? lol
I like the fact that the Revxtreme can has the pcv valve in it.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:40 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

I am not too hot on the steel wool material either Joe. I'll swap it out with something else soon. More like the material the Mustang forum guy used. The filter element inside the second can in the series will stop any foreign objects coming out of the first can. It's good to either 5 or 20 microns depending on who you ask.

Either the RevX or the Saikou. I like them both and the dual Saikou's are about as much as the single RevX so that is a factor. Not all of us are as lucky as you to have a buddy hand us a RevX can gratis.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:16 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Reporting back on this. I removed the steel wool after a about a thousand miles. It didn't seem like it was doing it's job. So I've just been running the two cans in series with the copper tubes for maybe another thousand miles. I don't get as much oil as I used to and I think thats because of the addition of the fresh air source. I'm still getting oil in the second can, probably about 1/8th the amount of whats in the first can. So for comparison, in the picture above where I show how much oil I was catching pre-mod, now the first can level is about the same as the old second can and the new second can has just enough to pour out of the canister but not much at all. I haven't checked my intake to see how much, if any, oil is getting through. I had cleaned it out before this mod so if there is any it pretty much disproves the effectiveness of this "mod".
Old 12-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Bill are you running a vacuum on your crankcase or just running open breather?

If you have no vacuum on the crankcase, how's your oil doing? Mine got really dirty really fast.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:14 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

I guess I didn't think about the fact that there was still no vacuum on the crankcase with the vent. When I did this I meant to put my oil cap back on but I couldn't find it. I need to look around more.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:04 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
Long story that I'll try and Cliff's Notes for you:

After installing my ECS kit my original PCV setup was a single CH catch can with the arrow reversed so the air would have to go through the stone filter first, then out. I had the valve cover nipple capped off and the breather oil cap that came with the ECS kit. This is how ECS says to do it with the exception of capping off the valve cover. They say to route that to a hose barb built into the air filter but I figured the breather would serve the same purpose.

I was catching plenty of oil in the single CH can but I was sure oil was getting past it so I put another on in series with it. I put the arrrow pointing the opposite direction as the other since there is/was a debate about which direction to point the CH cans; I was pointing both ways so I should be golden .

The second can caught some as well and I was fairly sure there was still a good bit getting past both cans.

Since I didn't want oil in my intake I decided to delete the PCV system; cappping off everything except the valve cover breather. This resulted in oil residue on the coil cover and a noticable oil smell that made its way into the cabin regardless of whether recirculate was on or off. No oil in the intake but I couldn't take the smell any longer. After driving it for 10 minutes my shirt would smell like oil/gas. No to mention I was not expelling the contaminants in the crank case.

So I started looking at a real catch can and how things should really be routed which spawned this thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...n-is-best.html

I learned some things about the different available cans and I also learned that there are two parts to the system, the PCV AND the fresh air source. I had neglected or misunderstood the latter (Thanks Tracy for your PM which cleared that up for me).

So after looking at real catch cans it came down to the RevXtreme or Saikou Michi. Both of which have long dispersion tubes as well as filter media (Saikou) or baffling discs (RevXtreme). I was getting ready to pull the trigger but during my research I found a good thread on a Mustang site about modifying a CH can: http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1031385

That gave me the idea to add a dispersion tube and more media to my CH cans. So I got some 1/2" copper tubing (like in a house) which just barely fit over the stone filter in the CH. I cut it to 2.26" which made it the length of the CH can and I put some slits at the bottom and relief holes for when the oil level gets higher than the slits.

It fits in the can perfectly and unlike the Mustang guy I kept the stone filter. So the air/oil needs to go through the entire stone filter, then down the tube to the bottom of the can, then do a 180 and then around a baffle built into the top of the CH can in order to get out.

Then I filled the can with steel wool. I would like a different material more like the Mustang guy had but I had this lying around so I used it for now. I'm not worried about it degrading and getting into the intake because I am running this can in series with another one just like it but with no steel wool in it.

So for my PCV system I have these two cans in series from the lifter valley to the intake with a check valve in between the TB and catch cans because of the blower. I found a new place to put them that is pretty stealthy:

And for my fresh air source I have a single can (no steel wool) from the valve cover nipple to the air filter ahead of the blower. The reason for this can is under boost the check valve will disable the two cans in series and instead of sucking air from the fresh air source it will be blowing out of it and I don't want oil going through the blower, intercooler and manifold:

I acutally had to move this can over where the others are because the ECS shroud would not go back on with it there. I could have gotten it to work with some 90 degree brass fittings but was in a hurry.

And I still have the ECS breather oil cap but I would like to omit that as soon as I can find my original oil cap to ensure there are no oil vapors in the engine bay that can make their way into the cabin. So routing looks much like this except I have another catch can in place of the check valve in-between the valve cover and air filter ahead of the blower:

Thanks to Tracy for the diagram.

I will likely get a RevX or dual Saikou setup later but I had most of this stuff lying around and wanted to see how it would work first. All I can say so far is my shirt didn't smell like oil/gas when I got to work this morning. I'll report on how well it works after some miles. I hope/expect that there will be little to no oil in the second can. I had not too long ago removed my intake manifold and sprayed it out with brake cleaner so I know it was 100% dry before this so if I see any oil in the intake I know it's still not working well enough.

I just got another dual valve catch can from Tracy that is his latest design. http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...ducts_id=13738
I already have the plumbing installed to accommodate my APS TT setup so that I can have catch can functions in both boost and normal driving. I worked with Tracy over several months in early 2010, just before Rev Xtreme went out of business, to get a custom made can. He is now back and improving on his design under the RX Performance name as seen on Byun Speed's web site.
I'll put up pictures in a few days.

BJK
Old 12-04-2010, 10:49 AM
TrekGTO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post up some pics!
Old 12-04-2010, 11:01 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

How much oil are you getting?

I have the setup that came with the ECS kit and I haven't seen any oil in the catch can yet. Nothing around the breather either.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:51 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TrekGTO
Post up some pics!
Here are a few.

BJK
Attached Images       
Old 01-05-2011, 11:54 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TrekGTO
Post up some pics!
And...a few more to make up for the holiday delay.
And... a schematic of my setup. Note: I deleted the second catch can shown with the green lines) leaving only the check valve and vapor lines to prevent clean air reversion. I scavenged that part from my APS TT setup. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1571625933-post86.html

Any questions?

BJK
Attached Images   

Last edited by 07MontRedcp; 01-07-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:11 AM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

My final hose routing:

BJK
Attached Images      
Old 01-07-2011, 07:52 AM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 386 Likes on 197 Posts

Neat looking setup what are the benefits to this as oppose to the setup of a stock ecs kit? Also in the first pic your belt is off by a rib, you want to align your pulley
Old 01-07-2011, 08:37 AM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 07MontRedcp
My final hose routing:

BJK
In you last pic, your fuel pressure sensor is angled downward. Shouldnt that be straight inline with the rail? Looks like the part on the rail that every thing screws to is bent

Get notified of new replies

To Campbell Hausfeld Catch Can Mod

Old 01-07-2011, 09:10 AM
tomiboy
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I have an Elite Engineering catch can....is that good enough on a NA car?
Old 01-07-2011, 09:19 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by SinisterC6
Neat looking setup what are the benefits to this as oppose to the setup of a stock ecs kit? Also in the first pic your belt is off by a rib, you want to align your pulley
Forcing the air down through the stone and all the way to the bottom of the can and back up (twice) separates more oil. I get about one to two tablespoons in the first can and one to two teaspoons in the second can every 1000 miles or so and I still get oil residue around the breather. Once I can find my stock oil cap I am going to try omitting the breather but since I'm still getting oil in the second can I'm sure there is still oil getting into the manifold.

Yea, it was jumping a rib (and occasionally shredding itself) because when Vortech upgraded me from a Novi 1200 to a 1500 they failed to put the washer behind the pulley that ECS does with their kit. It's since been remedied.

Tracy's new can is the best design going, especially for FI applications.

Last edited by 5 Liter Eater; 01-07-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:23 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by sabastian458
In you last pic, your fuel pressure sensor is angled downward. Shouldnt that be straight inline with the rail? Looks like the part on the rail that every thing screws to is bent
Yea what did you lean on it or something? And paint or polish or do something to that length of pipe in front of your TB.

Quick Reply: Campbell Hausfeld Catch Can Mod