C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Copper Crush Washers on Front Rubber Brake Hoses

Old 07-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Copper Crush Washers on Front Rubber Brake Hoses

They go on the threaded connection into the front calipers. Can anyone tell me the purpose of these? Can the old ones be re-used? I have a new rubber brake hose kit and although advertised as included, they were omitted. I want to get those hoses on tomorrow and the brakes bled.

NAPA says to go to Home Depot? GM says a package of 12 from the USA in two weeks?

I'm tempted just to re-use the old or if it is a sealant issue just use a dab of pipe sealant teflon paste on the outer (not inner) edges/threads of the threaded connector.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:44 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Chances are they will reseal but I would go to HD or Ace hardware and get some new ones. They won't get there by tomorrow but I would be more than happy to drop a couple in the mail.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
Chances are they will reseal but I would go to HD or Ace hardware and get some new ones. They won't get there by tomorrow but I would be more than happy to drop a couple in the mail.
Roger,
I very much appreciate that offer but I will check Home depot or a local auto parts store tomorrow. Believe it or not it is over 90*F here in Canada and I dread the thought of doing that job in such heat but my brake pedal is low and one of my favourites shows is this weekend.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:44 PM
0Paul Ruggeri
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can try reusing the originals. Once you bleed the brakes, press on them REALY HARD and look for leaks. Don't put any sealer on them though.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Paul Ruggeri
You can try reusing the originals. Once you bleed the brakes, press on them REALY HARD and look for leaks. Don't put any sealer on them though.
Thanks Paul. Will do. What is the function of those little washers?
Old 07-06-2010, 05:55 PM
glackore
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The copper washers compress and seal better than any other metal or non-metal material and hold the extreme high pressure of the braking system. Re-using them is not recommended, but you can do in a pinch if you haven't got replacements. As another post says pump those brakes and push hard to check for leaks if you re-use the old washers. Otherwise, most legitimate parts stores will have replacements or a very good hardware store. Good question Paul 74! Happy motoring! PS - 90F? Move to Texas and you'll know what hot is! Of course, you know cold better than us down here in the Lonstar state!
Old 07-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

I don't have a lift so I jacked up the driver's side this evening and of course with jack stands holding things up. I hit the joints with PB Blaster for tomorrow. Hopefully those steel lines will not twist! But of course... I do have the flare tools. I will try to get those washers tomorrow. If not I will re-use the old and snug things up. But quite frankly I can't see washers on the old connections$$. Love these old cars.

On temps we had three days last summer greater than 86*F (30*C here with metric). But this year! Darn this is hot! It will go away in 3-4 days. I can't imagine a summer of it. It would be impossible to drive my Corvette. People in Florida seem to say that the drive only in winter?

Just as a treat for readers, what is wrong with this pic. Now corrected. Love these old cars!

Last edited by Paul L; 07-06-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:05 PM
dzhrp7
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Copper Washers

This type of washer is commonly used on high pressure hydraulic systems. O rings, gaskets, or sealants are not capable of sealing at brake system pressures, which can exceed 1000 PSI, and are subject to repeated shocks. Re-using them isn't recommended, as the soft copper workhardens when compressed the first time, and may not seal as well in subsequent use. You may get away with re-using them, but you would be prudent to get some new ones heading your way.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:13 PM
tonak
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I think local parts shops like Auto Zone have them in stock all the time.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dzhrp7
This type of washer is commonly used on high pressure hydraulic systems. O rings, gaskets, or sealants are not capable of sealing at brake system pressures, which can exceed 1000 PSI, and are subject to repeated shocks. Re-using them isn't recommended, as the soft copper workhardens when compressed the first time, and may not seal as well in subsequent use. You may get away with re-using them, but you would be prudent to get some new ones heading your way.
Good advice. I will try to get them tomorrow. I did not know those little washers were that critical.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:40 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
what is wrong with this pic. Now corrected.
That darn ladder doesn't have a strap securing it to the hooks , it could jump off and scratch the crap out of your car.

Oh and did you notice your spring bolt is upside down ?
Old 07-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
That darn ladder doesn't have a strap securing it to the hooks , it could jump off and scratch the crap out of your car.

Oh and did you notice your spring bolt is upside down ?
Roger,

Not sure what you mean about the ladders? A large C-clamp was added. I know that drill.

But there are many treats when you buy a 35-year-old car. I found many. And most have been corrected. But it can be a gradual process. Even starting with a pretty solid example. Sometimes I marvel at people who take on projects. But it must be an age thing. I just want to drive.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:04 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

Low brake pedal, upside down spring bolt, man, those defects are adding up. Maybe you could store that 74 at my house, you wouldn't want your friends to see those imperfections.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:17 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes Sir; I use toilet paper to wipe off the lines when I'm bleeding, then wrap the fittings with it, then step on the brakes hard. The toilet paper will show even a slight leak, if you have one. Silicone brake fluid makes you double check things. Lot of luck, have a great time at the meet. Gene
Old 07-06-2010, 09:14 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

If you can't get new washers, you can use the old ones with no problems if they look good. Have done it many, many times.
Just clean all the surfaces well and if you really want to you can dust with a powder to check for leaks.
Contrary to popular belief, brake systems are relatively low pressure hydraulics compared to most hydraulic systems. That is why oem's were able to safely use fabric braided flex lines instead of single or 2 wire steel hydraulic hose.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:28 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I put on stainless steel brake lines in place of the rubber hoses 20 years ago and just went down to the local hardware store with the old copper washers and matched them up to the closest ones that they had in stock and have never had an issue all these years.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:48 PM
stevelischynsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul,
I think I've seen these at Ottawa Fasteners over in Bell's Corners.
They have bins of automotive fasteners against the wall to the right as you walk in.

Steve L
73 since new

Get notified of new replies

To Copper Crush Washers on Front Rubber Brake Hoses

Old 07-06-2010, 09:56 PM
stevelischynsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Paul,
My VBP kit has these but I'll be putting them in this wknd.
They are 0.684 od; 0.460 ID and .040 thick

Steve L.
73 since new
Old 07-06-2010, 10:23 PM
myk7
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The u-joint keeper looks busted too
Old 07-06-2010, 10:34 PM
stevelischynsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by myk7
The u-joint keeper looks busted too
I think it's just the picture and dirt. I can just barely see both tangs.

Steve L.
73 since new

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Copper Crush Washers on Front Rubber Brake Hoses