C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading Stock C6 Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 05:21 PM
mattnelson819
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Upgrading Stock C6 Suspension

Alright - I need your help on this. I have a stock suspension C6 (for only about 2 weeks now) and I want to upgrade my suspension.

I notice while pushing it hard on corners, if I hit a little bump, the vette has trouble sticking to the road. Also, I like the smooth ride of the stock suspension but I'm craving something that feels a little "tighter". I still want a smooth ride while still feeling that I can push the car when I want to.

I've poked around quite a few threads and it seems that adding Z51 sway bars and Bilstein HD shocks is a pretty popular upgrade. If you've done this, what kind of difference have you noticed? If you have performed a different upgrade, please chime in with what you did and how it changed the ride.

Thanks!

Last edited by mattnelson819; 04-22-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:44 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the stock sus. on my 05' coupe. I've gotten rid of the runflats and went with wider rims and better tires. I also went with Z06 shocks and sway bars and lowered the car completely on the stock bolts. Car still rides nice but sticks like glue and corners on rails. See my sig. below. Good luck
Old 04-22-2010, 06:03 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the base suspension with Z51 sway bars and Koni FSD shocks. It is an improvement however I am now thinking about replace the stock springs with Z51 springs. Has anyone done this with the base car? If so, what is your opinion on doing this?
Old 04-22-2010, 06:14 PM
mattnelson819
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
I have the stock sus. on my 05' coupe. I've gotten rid of the runflats and went with wider rims and better tires. I also went with Z06 shocks and sway bars and lowered the car completely on the stock bolts. Car still rides nice but sticks like glue and corners on rails. See my sig. below. Good luck
How wide of rims and tires did you go with? How much did you lower it?

Thanks!

(Also - I can't see your signature)
Old 04-23-2010, 05:16 PM
stout1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, to jump in here I have a NON Z51 C6 coupe and want to add Z06 sway bars? will they fit?? Turboo2u, I see you did part of what I am asking. Was yours a base coupe or a Z51 car?? thanks!! Henry
Old 04-23-2010, 05:26 PM
omc707
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have an '06 C6 Z51 with Bilstein Sports, non-run flats Kuhmo Ecsta SPT, lowered all the way on stock bolts on front, WCC bolts in the rear to match the the front's gap (this needs to be replaced, too squeaky). Rides great, still firm, but rides confidently over bad surfaces.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:40 PM
C6Buddy
Racer

Hotchkis Sway bars set to the middle, lower on the stock bolts and be happy!
Old 04-23-2010, 07:16 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I did the Z51 bars and Bilstein HDs and the car is just great now. The skittery nature of the car when in a bumpy corner is mostly a function of the stock shocks, whether they be stock base, Z51 or Z06 shocks. The Bilsteins are a much more sophisticated shock and will go a long way towards improving this. The whole thing was $500 and its the best $500 I can imagine spending on the car.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:17 AM
widgetsupply
Burning Brakes

I did the Z51 sways and Bilstien Sports. It really made the supsension feel alive, not something I really feel now but that is how I felt when I first got into it after the upgrade. I don't really know how to explain it. It's like you feel all of the imperfections in the road, but the ride is still good. I never really understood what magazines said about road feel until I did this upgrade. I like it so much, I doubt I would buy anothe Vette with the base suspension, even though I did like the base suspension before the upgrade.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:10 AM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by csun213
I have the base suspension with Z51 sway bars and Koni FSD shocks. It is an improvement however I am now thinking about replace the stock springs with Z51 springs. Has anyone done this with the base car? If so, what is your opinion on doing this?
Did the anti-sways already and the koni's are my next move. Do the koni fsd's not work well with the stock springs?
Old 07-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by thirtythird
Did the anti-sways already and the koni's are my next move. Do the koni fsd's not work well with the stock springs?
Mine FSD's work great with the stock springs. Perfect ride and street handling with the Z51 bars. Base shocks to bouncy up front, FSD's cure this with awesome ride.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Upgrading the sways is a relatively inexpensive and easy no brainer if you can pick up a set of Z51 bars. A definite improvement. I have trouble with the cost benefits of upgrading shocks and lowering with bolts, etc. I think anyone serious about handling and ride should consider swapping out to coilovers and do it right. Lot's of good options out there for our cars. I went with the Pfadts and think it's the best overall mod I've done. Not only does the car handle like it's on rails, there was a noticeable general improvement in the ride. Greatly improved. I also ditched the runflats.

Just another opinion.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:36 AM
San Diego Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by Poppy's Vette
Upgrading the sways is a relatively inexpensive and easy no brainer if you can pick up a set of Z51 bars. A definite improvement. I have trouble with the cost benefits of upgrading shocks and lowering with bolts, etc. I think anyone serious about handling and ride should consider swapping out to coilovers and do it right. Lot's of good options out there for our cars. I went with the Pfadts and think it's the best overall mod I've done. Not only does the car handle like it's on rails, there was a noticeable general improvement in the ride. Greatly improved. I also ditched the runflats.

Just another opinion.
X2. I totally agree with Big Poppy! If you're going to "do" an upgrade, why do it in stages? Just do it right the first time and be done with it. Pfadts are simple to install and well worth the money. Buy them direct for the best pricing without sales tax.
Paul

Last edited by San Diego Z06; 07-03-2010 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-03-2010, 02:21 PM
haracer
Cruising

Originally Posted by widgetsupply
I did the Z51 sways and Bilstien Sports. It really made the supsension feel alive, not something I really feel now but that is how I felt when I first got into it after the upgrade. I don't really know how to explain it. It's like you feel all of the imperfections in the road, but the ride is still good. I never really understood what magazines said about road feel until I did this upgrade. I like it so much, I doubt I would buy anothe Vette with the base suspension, even though I did like the base suspension before the upgrade.
I also did this same setup, best improvement for under $500!!! Definitely a must if you have stock suspension. Tires also make a huge difference.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:28 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My '05 is (was) base suspension. I upgraded and the car is unbelievable now. What made the difference for me was the combination of:
  • Pfadt coilovers w/ poly bushings
  • Z51 sway bars w/ poly bushings
  • removing GM leaf springs
  • upgrade dampers
  • road tested wheel alignment
  • 4 point balance
  • lowering ride height
  • steering adjustment
  • performance wheels/tires

(see profile)

Major improvement in handling.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:47 PM
sprinkler
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

When I first bought my base car I was somewhat alarmed by the way the rear would side step when I hit a bump in a turn. Gradually I have improved the suspension. I added the Z51 sways, HD adjustable end links, and the Pfadt adjustable sport shocks. I'm still on GY runflats. What a difference! I was on a twisty road yesterday and had a great time. Very stable now in the turns, handles like a slot car. Can be a little rougher ride on bad roads, but with the Pfadt shocks I can always make an adjustment to soften the ride. I'm sure the Koni FSD's or Bilsteins would be a good upgrade as well.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:51 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

I have a Z51 equipped car and happy with it but if I werent or had a base car and wanted more I would do coilovers and Z51 sways and call it a day.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:00 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,922 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
I did the Z51 bars and Bilstein HDs and the car is just great now. The skittery nature of the car when in a bumpy corner is mostly a function of the stock shocks, whether they be stock base, Z51 or Z06 shocks. The Bilsteins are a much more sophisticated shock and will go a long way towards improving this. The whole thing was $500 and its the best $500 I can imagine spending on the car.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:15 PM
HBJG
Racer

i have an '06 w/Z51 pkg and i hear that a base suspension w/Z51 sways w/pfadt polybushings are a better match with the base springs, bilstein sports and then you can upgrade your tires to michelin ps2 ZPs or non-runflats - if you prefer.

Last edited by HBJG; 07-03-2010 at 07:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Upgrading Stock C6 Suspension

Quick Reply: Upgrading Stock C6 Suspension