Sponsored by:

Replace Dash Lights with LED?

Old 06-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Dantana
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Replace Dash Lights with LED?

Hi All,
A suggestion was made to me in another thread about replacing my dash bulbs with LED while I have the dash out. This sounds like an attractive idea. Curious who has tried this and what their thoughts are?

I found these, prewired for under $1.50ea...
http://www.oznium.com/prewired-leds
Old 06-27-2010, 11:21 PM
oneshot
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

funny I was told the same thing. Just have not gotten around to doing it yet. I have read other threads and the opinion is to use SMD LEDs. The produce more light and do a very good job with the dash gauges. The come in blue, white, and red. I was considering doing it blue just to be a little different.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:11 AM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

these are even better -

http://www.oznium.com/prewired-superflux
Old 06-28-2010, 02:22 AM
avner
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by eagle275
I don't see if it fit 1895 bulb house.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:15 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Just to be clear, your other thread was about the blue wire heating up , LEDs will not help with this problem.
Also one other note , I have read some LEDs will not allow you to use the rheostat function of your headlight switch.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Dantana
Burning Brakes

Thanks Roger. I started that other thread to try to avoid confusion. I was thinking that the LED's would help avoid heating the wire due to less current draw...
Old 06-28-2010, 10:42 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dantana
Thanks Roger. I started that other thread to try to avoid confusion. I was thinking that the LED's would help avoid heating the wire due to less current draw...
If you mean LEDs in the INST lights then no they will not help the lt blue wire circuit.
The LEDs in the INST lights could reduce the draw on the dk green wire circuit however.

The lt blue wire circuit is just for the headlamps , do you have anything other than the 4 HL bulbs on the circuit , like maybe some foglamps or are you running all 6 filaments on your headlights instead of the max of 4 filaments the factory intended ? ( I seem to remember you did some fancy wiring awhile back .)
Old 06-28-2010, 05:44 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 542 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
Also one other note , I have read some LEDs will not allow you to use the rheostat function of your headlight switch.
The rheostat doesn't dim LEDs very well. I mixed LEDS and incandescent. I replaced the center gauge instrument, cigarette lighter, shift console lights with LEDS. My rheostat will dim the tach/speedo lights and the turn signals work as well (incadescents). The real reason I went with LEDS was to reduce the current through the rheostat. My original was burnt out from what really amounts to excessive current. The LEDS greatly reduce current draw through the rheostat and my dimming function for the important speedo/tach incandescents is uneffected.

You can't effectively dim LEDS with a rheostat. The rheostat varies the voltage to the light bulbs. A variable voltage works for incandescents. For LEDS, you need to vary the current to effectively dim them...not the voltage. It's a little complicated to explain. It has to do with the LEDS being diodes operated in their saturated part of the I,V curve. Think I"ll stop here!!
Old 06-28-2010, 05:51 PM
sabre1981
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put LEDS in mine and have been very happy. I bought them from superbrightleds.com. As far as dimming goes, no idea, never bother to adjust them.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Dantana
Burning Brakes

I've ordered some SMD LED's that fit into the 1895 sockets in blue. Hopefully they will arrive this week and I can post some pics after installing this weekend.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:13 PM
RIO68
Burning Brakes

I've ordered some SMD LED's that fit into the 1895 sockets in blue. Hopefully they will arrive this week and I can post some pics after installing this weekend.
Who did you order from?
Old 06-29-2010, 08:34 AM
Dantana
Burning Brakes

I ordered these because they are supposed to fit intot he 1895 dash sockets:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Roger, I just caught your post about all the wiring on my C3. I've done quite a bit (electric fans, amps, MSD, fixing my harness) but I haven't tapped intot he headlights for anything that I can recall. I'll go over everything this weekend to make sure. Great thought.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:51 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

I ordered these because they are supposed to fit intot he 1895 dash sockets:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Roger, I just caught your post about all the wiring on my C3. I've done quite a bit (electric fans, amps, MSD, fixing my harness) but I haven't tapped intot he headlights for anything that I can recall. I'll go over everything this weekend to make sure. Great thought.
Weren't you the guy that was going to wire the HL switch to control the low beams only and the dimmer was going to turn on and off the high beams via a full time hot lead ?
Old 06-29-2010, 10:20 AM
Dantana
Burning Brakes

Not me, Roger. Interesting idea though.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:24 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Not me, Roger. Interesting idea though.
My mistake , thats what I meant when I said "fancy wiring",I'll have to do a search and see if I can figure out who that was.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:01 PM
theother_bob
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
..<snip>...
You can't effectively dim LEDS with a rheostat. The rheostat varies the voltage to the light bulbs. A variable voltage works for incandescents. For LEDS, you need to vary the current to effectively dim them...not the voltage.
The best way to dim LEDs is with a PWM dimmer such as this or this.

It is possible to retain the original dimmer **** too if you know your way around a soldering iron and dmm.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Skip Burney
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sabre1981
I put LEDS in mine and have been very happy. I bought them from superbrightleds.com. As far as dimming goes, no idea, never bother to adjust them.
I am getting ready to replace my dash harness and am going with superbright leds I think they are BA9s which ones ddi you use the 90 degree or the wide angle ones

Get notified of new replies

To Replace Dash Lights with LED?

Old 06-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Skip Burney
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sabre1981
How many did you use? I just got my harness today and unless I am mistaken it takes about 20 bulbs and at 8 bucks a pop for leds I am going back with stock bulbs.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:25 PM
Dantana
Burning Brakes

mine were $7.50/pair ($3.75ea) See my link above. They are 5 way, take a look at the pic on the other end of the link
Old 07-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Dantana
Burning Brakes

Plugged in all my LED bulbs today and fixed the sockets in the console. I closed the grage door for a minute and they look great. Not quite as bright as I thought they would be though. Looking at them outside the dash they practically burn your eyes but inside the clusters they are very subdued.

When I get the dash back together I'll put up some pics.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replace Dash Lights with LED?