C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does dead key fob need reprogrammed?

Old 06-18-2010, 02:58 PM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does dead key fob need reprogrammed?

So one of my fobs is totally dead and the other is on the way out.

Dealer wants $240 for both fobs to ne replaced and programmed.

Seems a bit high to me.

Can't you just swap the dead battery in the current fobs out for a new one? I don't see why you'd need a totally new fob...

Is the dealer trying to jack me or what?

I was thinking I could get a $3 battery replacement for each, swap them out and be on my way.

$6 is a lot less than $240 so I don't want get taken for a ride.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Epic_C6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there is nothing wrong with your FOB and it is just a dead battery all you would have to do is replace the battery and it should work. I think the dealer is trying to "milk" you for some money.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:02 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

No it shouldn't. You should be able to replace the battery and you are good to go. The fob frequency and unique id is stored with the car and not the fob. Once the new battery is in it will be business as usual.
The following users liked this post:
Evan Sanza (11-03-2019)
Old 06-18-2010, 03:11 PM
1yy07vette
Burning Brakes

What dealer ?
Old 06-18-2010, 03:13 PM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

Ok, that's what I thought.

Just got off the phone with them and what they said was that the one fob that was totally dead, wasn't working because the electronics had gone bad, not the battery.

They said the first thing they did was swap batteries, but it still didn't work.

That's why they said they had to replace and program a new one for a total of $180.

Then they said they didn't have a problem with the other one while it was with them, but since I told them that more often than not lately, I've had to stand REALLY close to the car door for it to open, or hit the unlock button over and over until it unlocked, that it was probably the hardware and not the battery.

So to sum up, they say they had to replace 1 fob, the one that hadn't been working at all for a while, so that was $180 and the other they replaced for $60 (which they called a discount since I had the first one replaced) rather than swapping the battery on that because they didn't have any issues with the fob working while it was in the shop.

So whatever, sounds like I'm screwed at this point anyways. I will admit that the one totally dead fob stopped working about a year ago but I just ignored it. It went dead overnight so it probably did have something hardware related go bad.

The 2nd one, has just out of nowhere started to get fussy. More so when I first go to use it...so who knows.

I suppose I'm the victim of the dreaded Corvette Tax at this point.

Next time, I'll just swap the batteries FIRST and see what happens.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:14 PM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1yy07vette
What dealer ?
Hendrick Chevy: Cary, NC

They are usually pretty good with me, which is why I go there. In the past there have been some issues I've had that they've taken care of without charging, or by suggesting things that would save money and so forth. And I'm not talking about warranty issues.

There's been times I've asked about brakes and so forth and they've told me I don't need new ones yet, etc. However I do need some new pads now, but in the past they've never told me I needed this or that without me knowing it first.

So I wouldn't think they'd try taking me for a ride at this point.

Last edited by ShockwaveGT; 06-18-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by ShockwaveGT
Hendrick Chevy: Cary, NC

They are usually pretty good with me, which is why I go there. In the past there have been some issues I've had that they've taken care of without charging, or by suggesting things that would save money and so forth. And I'm not talking about warranty issues.

There's been times I've asked about brakes and so forth and they've told me I don't need new ones yet, etc. However I do need some new pads now, but in the past they've never told me I needed this or that without me knowing it first.

So I wouldn't think they'd try taking me for a ride at this point.
I'm glad you have had good experiences with them. I bought our new 2009 there a year ago. The two sales people I dealt with were excellent, a pleasure to work with.

There were a couple of items that needed to be adjusted before I drove away. PM me your phone number if you need details, it was a very negative experience even though they weren't trying to fleece me.

Needing to stand close to the door is sometimes a symptom of a dying fob battery. Really cheap to try a new one...
Old 06-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's my fob experience. For some reason, my #2 fob didn't work when I finally tried it, and just did the owner's manual re-programming proceedure with the trunk key and all worked fine. You'll need all fob's present when doing this, as all get reset at this time. Great for if you lost a fob, as it will no longer work. I've replaced fob batteries before the old one's died and no re-programming was needed. You can do your own re-programming if you have at least one working fob and trunk key. If not, then it's dealer time. Also, there are other places to buy fob's than paying list at your dealer, so shop around.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:04 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

1. Try putting the FOB in the glovebox slot. Should work even if the FOB battery is dead.

2. There have been reports of cell phones & other transmitters interfering with the FOB... keep them separate.

3. Discussion & tips for replacing FOB battery (CR2032): http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...post1572918080
Old 06-18-2010, 04:47 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

You may just need new batteries in your fob. It doesn't need to be programmed after changing batteries, but maybe reprogramming would kickstart it back into action.

If you need to get a new fob because the electronics in yours are cooked (if your dealer is correct), I looked on eBay, but you can get a brand new fob from a forum dealer for cheaper.

If you want the old style fob, the GM Part#s are:

Fob# 1 is: 10372541

Fob# 2 is: 10372542

The old style (2005 to 2007, I believe) are about $56 plus shipping from forum dealer partstaxi.com

If you want the new style, Part#s are:

Fob# 1 is: 25926479

Fob# 2 is: 25926480

The new style (2008 & newer) are about $96 plus shipping.

Either style will work with any model year C6, however the keys may not be compatible in all model years.

So.....you can buy a new fob for around 60 bux and program it yourself for a lot cheaper than the quote from your dealer!!!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 06-18-2010 at 04:49 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Does dead key fob need reprogrammed?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does dead key fob need reprogrammed?