Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] TSB help

Old 04-20-2010, 12:27 PM
dayABR11
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSB help

I am having some issues related to the following tsb's and I plan on taking my Z06 to the dealer to take advantage of the TSB's. Can anyone point me to where I can download a PDF and print them off? Having the TSB's will hopefully save some time explaining the situation to the dealer. I live in germany and so the english/German language barrier with the service provider and the distance to the nearest dealer make it imperative to get it rght the first time. Thanks.

Bulletin number: 070420002
nhtsa number: 10022263

and

bulletin number: 4678
nhtsa number: 10023737
Old 04-20-2010, 09:58 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Those numbers seem unfamiliar. You should describe the problems you're having and maybe someone will post the bulletin that relates to it.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:15 AM
dayABR11
Advanced

26. POWER TRAIN: DRIVELINE: DIFFERENTIAL UNIT
Bulletin Number: 070420002
Bulletin Date: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 2,008 Chevrolet Corvette

Summary:
REAR AXLE CLUNK AND/OR CHATTER TYPE NOISE ON TURNS (DRAIN/REFILL REAR DIFFERENTIAL FLUID). ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10022263 )

and

Component Description:
31. OTHER
Bulletin Number: 4678
Bulletin Date: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 2,008 Chevrolet Corvette

Summary:
POP OR CREAK NOISE FROM REAR OF VEHICLE BEHIND THE SEATS. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10023737 )

The summary was the best I could find. Taken off of edmunds.com.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:47 PM
hotnono
2nd Gear

I too had the same problem last year (2009)
Dealer had service bullitin ...they changed rear end oil and the problem went away...good luck with yours...
hot nono
Old 04-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Is there a website to find TSBs?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

alldata.com
Old 04-21-2010, 06:34 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Z11409
alldata.com
Can't find the second one, but here's the first one.

#07-04-20-002B: Rear Axle Noise or Vibration When Making Turns or Under Hard Acceleration (Replace Fluid and/or Posi-Traction Friction Plates) - (Apr 14, 2010)

Subject: Rear Axle Noise or Vibration When Making Turns or Under Hard Acceleration (Replace Fluid and/or Posi-Traction Friction Plates)

Models: 2004-2008 Cadillac XLR, XLR-V

2005-2008 Chevrolet Corvette

2006-2008 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the subject title and to add the differential disc kit replacement procedures. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-04-20-002A (Section 04 - Driveline/Axle).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment about a noise or vibration condition coming from the rear axle. This condition can occur during turns or under hard acceleration.

Cause
This condition may be caused by breakdown of the rear axle fluid or, on certain models, degradation of the posi-traction friction plate material.

Correction
Perform the following steps to correct this condition.

For 2007-2008 Cadillac XLR and Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Drain and refill the rear axle fluid. Refer to Differential Oil Replacement in SI. Use the DEXRON® LS fluid listed below. This fluid already contains limited-slip friction modifier.

For 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 and 2004-2006 Cadillac XLR, 2006-2008 XLR-V and 2005-2008 Chevrolet Corvette (base model/non-Z06)
Drain and refill the rear axle fluid. Refer to Differential Oil Replacement in SI. Use the DEXRON® LS fluid listed below. This fluid already contains limited-slip friction modifier.
If the customer returns with the same condition, replace the posi-traction plates with the parts listed below. For replacement instructions, refer to Ring Gear and Differential Housing Disassemble and Ring Gear and Differential Housing Assembly in SI.
Important: The listed replacement differential disc kits may contain a different number of friction plates than the vehicle was manufactured with. This is part of the revised part number application and is correct.

Draining Procedure

Raise and support the vehicle.
Clean any dirt from around the differential drain plug.
If not equipped with a differential cooler, remove the drain plug (1) and washer (2) from the differential.

If equipped with a differential cooler:
4.1. Using a bent tip screwdriver, remove the quick connect fitting retaining ring (3) from the quick connect fitting (4) and discard the retaining ring.

4.2. Remove the differential cooler inlet pipe from the differential nut.

Drain the fluid.
Filling Procedure

If not equipped with a differential cooler, install the drain plug (1) and washer (2) to the differential.
Tighten
Tighten the differential drain plug to 35 N·m (26 lb ft).

If equipped with a differential cooler:
2.1. Install a new retaining ring.

2.2. Connect the differential cooler pump inlet pipe (2) to the differential. A distinct snap should be heard or felt when assembling the cooler pipe to the fitting.

2.3. To ensure the cooler line is properly installed, give the cooler pipe a gentle pull.

Clean any dirt from around the differential fill plug.
Remove the fill plug and washer from the differential.
Important: DO NOT add any limited-slip additive (friction modifier). With this new fluid (DEXRON® LS Gear Oil 75W-90) it is no longer required to add friction modifier. If friction modifier is added, it will cause the fluid to lose some of it's friction-reducing properties as well as reducing seal life.

Fill the differential with the new DEXRON® LS gear oil, P/N 88862624 (Canadian P/N 88862625). Refer to the table listed below for lubrication specifications.
Check the fluid level to ensure it is even with the bottom of the fill plug hole to no lower than 6 mm (0.25 in) below the opening.
Install the fill plug and washer to the differential.
Tighten
Tighten the differential fill plug to 35 N·m (26 lb ft).

Important: Steps 8-13 are for vehicles equipped with the differential cooling system. For vehicles not equipped with the cooling system, proceed to Step 14.

Raise the vehicle so the wheels are about 30 cm (12 in) off the floor. Make sure the wheels can spin freely without obstruction from the hoist or any nearby items.
Start the vehicle and put the transmission in second gear. Slowly accelerate to 16 km/h (10 mph) and hold this speed for one minute.
Turn the vehicle off.
Raise the vehicle.
Check the fluid level in the differential. Add fluid until the recommended level is reached.
Lower the vehicle.
Once the differential fluid has been changed, the vehicle must be driven in 8-10 tight figure eight maneuvers to heat the fluid and allow the fluid to be worked into the clutch plates.
Lubrication Specifications Application
Quantity

Metric
English

2004-2005 XLR (Including Export) and 2005 Corvette (Non Export)
1.72 L
1.85 qt

2006-2008 XLR (Including V-Series and Export) and 2006-2008 Corvette (Non Z06/Non Export)
2.0 L
2.11 qt

2005 Corvette Export
1.88 L
1.99 qt

2006-2008 Corvette Export (Non Z06)
2.16 L
2.28 qt

2006-2008 Corvette Z06
2.75 L
2.91 qt

Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Disc Kit - L/Slip Diff Clutch,

(Use With 2005-2008 Corvette (Non Z06), 2006-2008 XLR-V, 2004-2006 XLR)

Washer - Lkg Diff Clutch Disc Thrust,

(Use With 2005-2008 Corvette (Non Z06), 2006-2008 XLR-V, 2004-2006 XLR)

Disc Kit - L/Slip Diff Clutch

(Use With 2006 Corvette Z06)

Washer - Lkg Diff Clutch Disc Thrust

(Use With 2006 Corvette Z06)

88862624 (U.S.)

88862625 (Canada)
DEXRON® LS Gear Oil 75W-90
As Required

Important: Order the parts for this bulletin per the above information. This information may differ from the information published in the current parts catalog.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:01 PM
sircrashalot
Instructor

Have been having the diff chatter problem and thought I was all set after finding the TSB on here. Went to the dealer today and brought them a printed copy of the TSB. They said that the diff fluid is supposed to be serviced every 15K so the tsb would not mean warranty coverage. They said the last car they did it on GM rejected the warranty request.

I explained that I bought the car pre-owned certified 4k miles ago, GM certified it, and GM's incorrect fluid is causing the issue so from where I sit its a crystal clear warranty issue. I haven't gone 15k miles, so its not a service interval issue. Unreal....I advised the dealer to let me know if they have a problem so that I can get on the phone to GM. Alternatively, I offered to beat it until the diff explodes due to the chatter and then they can warranty the entire differential when they tow it in.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:08 PM
Likecars
Instructor

Originally Posted by sircrashalot
They said that the diff fluid is supposed to be serviced every 15K ..... .
Funny, my owners manual does not show this "required" service!
Old 05-17-2010, 11:36 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Likecars
Funny, my owners manual does not show this "required" service!
When at any dealer it's helpful to have a copy of the GM recommended maintenance schedule with you. Many dealers now prominently display service menus that call for much more frequent "maintenance" than GM's schedule. Service advisors make the customer think it's GM's recommendation. Flushing all the various fluids frequently is a big money maker for service departments.
The best bet is to just try another dealer, easier than trying to reason with the first dealer. He's obviously acting in his own interest, not the customer's. Not every dealer is like this.

Last edited by ZL-1; 05-17-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:23 AM
musclesbmf
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts

Dealers around here are horrible to say the least. Took mine to 2 different ones with TSB for popping endlink noise and both dealers ignored it. I finally have just ordered 4 new endlinks from Gene at GMPartshouse and will do the repair myself. It cost me more in wasted time than it did for all 4 links. total for all 4 was less than $115 shipped. GM service is poor to say the least. I usually do everything myself and will now continue to do so, but when I saw the TSB, i thought a "free" fix would be cool.... not so much.

Mark
Old 05-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Steve Carter
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Dealers around here are horrible to say the least. Took mine to 2 different ones with TSB for popping endlink noise and both dealers ignored it. I finally have just ordered 4 new endlinks from Gene at GMPartshouse and will do the repair myself. It cost me more in wasted time than it did for all 4 links. total for all 4 was less than $115 shipped. GM service is poor to say the least. I usually do everything myself and will now continue to do so, but when I saw the TSB, i thought a "free" fix would be cool.... not so much.

Mark
Sorry about your dealers Mark. That's not the case here in Salt Lake. I had a problem with my 08' ZO6 end links. Went into the dealer (without an appointment) and in less than two hours they had replaced the end links ( at no charge ) and I was on my way. I've been very happy with the quality of service on my last two ZO6's. Thanks to Riverton Motors. Sandy, Utah.

Steve
Old 05-18-2010, 12:24 PM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I had my '06 in the dealer three times for this issue back in '06 and '07...... they would put more additive in the rear each time. About 2-3 months later it came back every time. Coming from Mustangs... I decided to go with the best additive I knew.. Ford Friction Modifier... I had it put in the rear... never an issue since!!!!
Old 05-18-2010, 01:21 PM
musclesbmf
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts

However, I did get a differential change out of the issue... although I knew it wasnt a diff problem. Had that noise in my 06 so I was familiar with it. I just hate when you come in armed with information and they disregard that information. Frustrating....

Mark
Old 05-18-2010, 02:37 PM
sircrashalot
Instructor

My dealer claims to be on my side and is putting it on GM saying that they will reject the warranty request. They are supposed to call me if there is an issue...no call yet so who knows.

If they put it on GM I am calling GM to state my case. At that point I think its safe to say that if it is the dealer and not truly GM resisting following their own TSB I'll find out pretty fast.

Its not like I am just there trying to milk the warranty either. I usually do oil changes and trans services myself but thought since it was there and I am new to the car and building a relationship with the dealer I'd let them do it to the tune of approx $250...so there is money for the maintenance that is due coming from me.

Hoping that the quiet phone so far means good news...I'll post up with the end result.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:15 AM
sircrashalot
Instructor

OK some credit is due to Malouf Chevy in North Brunswick. They took care of the diff chatter TSB with no headaches, replaced the seeping oil pan gasket, replaced axle boots due to light grease/grime making its way past them, and called to ask before running the car through the automatic wash knowing it was a Vette and I may not want machines washing it (ABSOLLUUUUTELY NOT).
They also got it done quickly. If I wanted to nitpick they didn't reset the oil life meter when they did the oil change, and left a map light on but overall I am very pleased.

Get notified of new replies

To TSB help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] TSB help