Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

automatic transmission modulator location?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 04:59 PM
KillerC5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default automatic transmission modulator location?

i'am trying to replace my automatic transmission modulator on my 02 c5...anyone know exactly where it is located?
Old 04-29-2010, 05:51 PM
KillerC5
Instructor

wow..honestly nobody knows where this part is located at all? thanks..might aswell just call the chevy dealer tomorrow
Old 04-29-2010, 06:28 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by KillerC5
wow..honestly nobody knows where this part is located at all? thanks..might aswell just call the chevy dealer tomorrow
What modulator ? They are electronically shifted and controlled
Old 04-29-2010, 06:33 PM
KillerC5
Instructor

my car is having the problem of passing rev limiter and hitting redline on the gears(but it still shifts gears)..i ordered a part which is called the automatic transmisison modulator..its literaly a small tube with a ball inside..and that part apparently makes the gears go out of wack which is what is happening to me..my tranny only has 15k miles on it so my tranny shouldent be dieng on me
Old 04-29-2010, 06:41 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

my car is having the problem of passing rev limiter and hitting redline on the gears(but it still shifts gears)..i ordered a part which is called the automatic transmisison modulator..its literaly a small tube with a ball inside..and that part apparently makes the gears go out of wack which is what is happening to me..my tranny only has 15k miles on it so my tranny shouldent be dieng on me
Call RPM Transmissions. See link below. Your shift points are controlled by the PCM settings.

http://www.rpmtransmissions.com/
Old 04-29-2010, 07:24 PM
KillerC5
Instructor

yea my gears arent shifting on time..they redline and its like if i drive stick..the chevy dealer said it could be the valve body..im gona have my mechanic take a look at it
Old 04-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

The closest thing I can find in a search of my e-service manual is called "Torque Converter Clutch Pulse Width Modulation (TCC PWM) Solenoid, TCC Solenoid, and Wiring Harness". Is this what you're referring to?
Old 04-29-2010, 09:35 PM
KillerC5
Instructor

i have no idea what that is? =O..i think its a valve in my transmission
Old 04-29-2010, 10:07 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Do you have a part number/picture of what you ordered?
Old 04-29-2010, 10:31 PM
KillerC5
Instructor

i ordered from http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/..type in the Part Number: AC8634400
it is an automatic transmission modulator valve
Old 04-30-2010, 12:17 AM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

i'am trying to replace my automatic transmission modulator on my 02 c5...anyone know exactly where it is located?
I hate sounding critical ,but you bought a part and you don't know where it goes or what it does, based on what a guy told you it might be? I think some more research was needed. Granted it's a cheap part but I don't think, based on your post, that you should think about doing this yourself.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:19 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

yea my gears arent shifting on time..they redline and its like if i drive stick..the chevy dealer said it could be the valve body..im gona have my mechanic take a look at it
I bet somebody changed the rear gears or screwed up the PCM shift points, since it's doing it in every gear.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:24 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

In the "old" days, auto transmissions had VACUUM MODULATORS, basically a vaccum diaphram on the side of the trans that got a VACUUM signal from the intake. Large vacuum changes at the manifold typically mean high load, this would be one of several signals for the trans to change gears. I'm fairly sure the modern version of this is electronic anymore.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:50 AM
KillerC5
Instructor

how can i figure out my pcm shift points? i have no engine lights going off..and i plug my computer in and it reads no codes
Old 04-30-2010, 11:45 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

how can i figure out my pcm shift points? i have no engine lights going off..and i plug my computer in and it reads no codes
You don't see them with a simple OBD scanner.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:14 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

You need specific software like HP tuners, etc ... You don't seem to be that knowledgeable of the newer transmissions and would recommend seeing a professional before you really screw something up and cost you thousands of dollars to fix.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:31 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ajg1915
You need specific software like HP tuners, etc ... You don't seem to be that knowledgeable of the newer transmissions and would recommend seeing a professional before you really screw something up and cost you thousands of dollars to fix.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:18 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 310 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by ajg1915
What modulator ? They are electronically shifted and controlled
The 4L60 is electricallly controlled and the PCM does all the shifting ?
Old 04-30-2010, 06:26 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by killain
The 4L60 is electricallly controlled and the PCM does all the shifting ?

What don't you understand ???? The PCM is what controls the automatic 4L60E, what do you think the "E" at the end means.

Go buy the service manuals and read about how your car works.

This is what is going on when you're in first gear.

Overdrive Range, First Gear
When the gear selector lever is moved to the Overdrive position, from the neutral position, the following changes occur to the transmission's hydraulic and electrical systems:

Manual Valve
Line pressure flows through the manual valve and fills the D4 fluid circuit. All other fluid circuits remain empty with the manual valve in the Overdrive position.

Forward Clutch Applies

Forward Clutch Accumulator Checkball (#12)
D4 fluid pressure seats the checkball and is orificed (#22) into the forward clutch feed fluid circuit. This orifice helps control the forward clutch apply rate.

Forward Clutch Accumulator Piston
Forward clutch feed fluid pressure moves the piston against spring force. This action absorbs some of the initial increase of forward clutch feed fluid pressure to cushion the forward clutch apply.

Forward Clutch Abuse Valve
D4 fluid pressure acts on the valve opposite of spring force. At engine speeds greater than idle, D4 fluid pressure increases and moves the valve against spring force (as shown). D4 fluid can then quickly fill the forward clutch feed fluid circuit, thereby bypassing the control of orifice #22 and providing a faster apply of the forward clutch. Otherwise, with increased throttle opening and engine torque, the clutch may slip during apply.

Transmission Fluid Pressure (TFP) Manual Valve Position Switch Assembly
D4 fluid pressure is routed to the TFP manual valve position switch and closes the normally open D4 fluid pressure switch. This signals the PCM that the transmission is operating in Overdrive range.

1-2 Shift Solenoid (SS) Valve
Energized (ON) as in Neutral, the normally open solenoid is closed and blocks signal A fluid from exhausting through the solenoid. This maintains pressure in the signal A fluid circuit.

2-3 Shift Solenoid (SS) Valve
Energized (ON) as in Neutral, the normally open solenoid is closed and blocks signal B fluid from exhausting through the solenoid. This maintains signal B fluid pressure at the solenoid end of the 2-3 shift valve.

2-3 Shift Valve Train
Signal B fluid pressure at the solenoid end of the 2-3 shift valve holds the valve train in the downshifted position against AFL fluid pressure acting on the 2-3 shift valve. In this position, the 2-3 shuttle valve blocks AFL fluid from entering the D432 fluid circuit. The D432 fluid circuit is open to an exhaust port past the valve.

1-2 Shift Valve
Signal A fluid pressure holds the valve in the downshifted position against spring force. In the First gear position, the valve blocks D4 fluid from entering the 2nd fluid circuit.

Accumulator Valve
Biased by torque signal fluid pressure, spring force and orificed accumulator fluid pressure at the end of the valve, the accumulator valve regulates D4 fluid into accumulator fluid pressure. Accumulator fluid is routed to both the 1-2 and 3-4 accumulator assemblies in preparation for the 1-2 and 3-4 upshifts respectively.

Rear Lube (All Except Y-Car)
D4 fluid is routed through an orifice cup plug (#24) in the rear of the transmission case to feed the rear lube fluid circuit.

Pressure Control (PC) Solenoid Valve
Remember that the PC solenoid valve continually varies torque signal fluid pressure in relation to throttle position and vehicle operating conditions. This provides a precise control of line pressure.

3-2 Control Solenoid Valve
The PCM keeps the solenoid OFF in First gear and the normally closed solenoid blocks filtered AFL fluid from entering the 3-2 signal fluid circuit.

Torque Converter Clutch PWM Solenoid Valve
In first gear, at approximately 6 mph, the PCM operates the TCC PWM solenoid valve at approximately a 90 percent duty cycle. This opens the AFL fluid circuit, to fill the converter clutch signal fluid circuit through the #9 orifice, and flows to the isolator valve. The CC signal fluid pressure, acting on the isolator valve, will move the regulated apply valve towards the closed position. Regulated line pressure is now routed into the regulated apply circuit, and flows to the closed converter clutch valve, and is blocked from entering the converter clutch apply circuit. Regulated apply fluid is routed through the #8 orifice to the front of the regulated apply valve, and regulates the line pressure entering the regulated apply circuit, in response to the CC signal fluid acting on the isolator valve.

Get notified of new replies

To automatic transmission modulator location?

Quick Reply: automatic transmission modulator location?