Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing with a Tow Dolly???

Old 04-04-2010, 04:54 PM
udornf4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing with a Tow Dolly???

Anyone have any experience towing a C3 (auto) with a Tow Dolly?

thanks!
Old 04-04-2010, 05:03 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Not specifically with a C3, but I'd either pick it up by the rear or remove the driveshaft. Without the engine running there's a risk there won't be enough circulation in the trans to guarantee you won't burn up something in neutral. Learned from having seen this happen more than once to others towing vehicles behind their motorcoaches.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:56 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't towed a C3 with one but the 2 times I did tow with one told me to never do it again
Old 04-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Bugman Jeff
Instructor

If you don't disconnect the driveshaft, you will almost certainly burn up the trans. The pump is driven by the engine, so with the engine off there is no trans fluid circulation.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:00 PM
jordan89
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why don't you just rent a U-haul trailer for $50. You won't have to worry about anything.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:41 AM
Dantana
Burning Brakes

I did it about 3 years ago... and now I see maybe i shouldn't have...

I took mine 15 miles on stop and go roads (very slowly) from the place where the brake cliper locked down on the disk to home. I put the front on the dolly and did not disconnect the drive shaft. I hate my auto trans anyway, but it seems to be working as well as it was before I towed it.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:25 AM
mikejpss
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by jordan89
Why don't you just rent a U-haul trailer for $50. You won't have to worry about anything.

AND the U haul trailers work really well for the C3's. Just make sure you tell them what you are towing so they will give you the correct trailer.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:26 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Originally Posted by mikejpss

AND the U haul trailers work really well for the C3's. Just make sure you tell them what you are towing so they will give you the correct trailer.
I agree also, in fact I'm towing mine Friday a couple hundred miles.

These cars are pretty heavy, mine is 3690# added to the trailer weight of 2200# puts it over 5000#. A class III hitch is rated for 5000# and allot of pickups aren't rated for that weight (even though they'll probably pull it OK)
I believe U Haul does have an aluminium trailer that weighs less but i don't know how much.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:53 PM
builder
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't go too far with a tow dolly unless I had a large tow vehicle. The tow dolly with a car on it behind a pickup can push the rear of the tow vehicle sideways on a corner and loss of control is easy. I would recommend using a trailer with brakes on all wheels.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:38 AM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Get a uhaul car trailer way better than a dolly about a hundred bucks a day
Old 04-07-2010, 07:38 AM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I once towed my 82 vette on a dolly behind my 84 trans am for about 60 miles. No side effects from nothing being disconnected and the car towed great on the dolly. If longer then a 100 miles, then I would take the driveshaft out
Old 04-07-2010, 08:16 AM
OzzyC4
Drifting

U-Haul wont rent you a trailer if your tow vehicle is not within their requirements for what you are going to tow.

Name:  Sharkgoinghome.jpg
Views: 5016
Size:  32.1 KB

If the 4 Runner had been 2 wheel drive it would not have qualified. (tow vehicle weight)

Last edited by OzzyC4; 04-07-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:28 PM
builder
Burning Brakes

I just wouldn't recommend for anyone to use a tow dolly unless they have a "heavy" tow vehicle. I also wouldn't recommend towing a corvette with one.

Also, In my state, the tow dolly doesn't need to be licensed or insured, but the towed vehicle has to be insured and licensed if the wheels are on the ground. Might want to check on that too if you decide to use a tow dolly.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Fishndude
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you tow with a dolly, from the front, dont even attempt it unless your steering locks, otherwise your wheels will try to turn when going around corners and the tires wont straighten back out again after you come out of the corner... Trust me I know, we had to pull over about 8 times and straighten the front tires back out on the way to the muffler shop..

FD
Old 04-08-2010, 08:54 AM
J.K. Cooley
Instructor

I would only use a tow dolly if all other options were exhausted.....As mentioned by others -- Tie-off steering to seat frame, remove driveshaft .......
Old 04-08-2010, 09:25 AM
builder
Burning Brakes

Although most agree that a tow dolly is just "wrong", I would have to disagree with the tying off or locking the steering wheel. Although the wheel plates swivel on the dolly (mine does), the wheels should be free to turn too. I would suggest that the wheel harnesses are not tight enough if the wheels turn in them. You want the towed vehicle to follow and trail. If the steering is locked, you could tweek the tow dolly, but more likely put a lot of extra force on your steering and suspension system and possibly tweeking it. I usually get the wheel harnesses as tight as I can by hand, and then give it another shot with my foot. Make sure the tires are nice and hard on the towed vehicle too. Adding a little air to the harnessed wheels can also help tighten up the wheel harness.

I always;
1. take a battery powered air compressor and inflate the tires to their max psi.
2. tighten the wheel harnesses with my foot.
3. check harnesses after 5-10 miles.
4. use safety chains (they saved me once).
5. leave the steering unlocked.
6. make wide turns.
7. never back the dolly up with a vehicle on it.
8. always use a heavy towing vehicle.
9. never tow a Corvette with a tow dolly.

Last edited by builder; 04-08-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Fishndude
Pro

Originally Posted by builder
Although most agree that a tow dolly is just "wrong", I would have to disagree with the tying off or locking the steering wheel. Although the wheel plates swivel on the dolly (mine does), the wheels should be free to turn too. I would suggest that the wheel harnesses are not tight enough if the wheels turn in them. You want the towed vehicle to follow and trail. If the steering is locked, you could tweek the tow dolly, but more likely put a lot of extra force on your steering and suspension system and possibly tweeking it. I usually get the wheel harnesses as tight as I can by hand, and then give it another shot with my foot. Make sure the tires are nice and hard on the towed vehicle too. Adding a little air to the harnessed wheels can also help tighten up the wheel harness.
We tried it with the straps extremely tight too and the problem was even worse. When we turned a corner, the tires would bind and turn in the straps, know matter how tight we had them and then they would stay bound after we straightened them back out again, which then caused the the car to track sideways.. We also tried the swivels in the locked and unlocked position and still had the same problem.. BTW, we also took 2 lane wide corners and it still bound the tires. I found a post on a RV froum where a guy had one strap bust due to the excessive pressure when his steering wasnt locked. I also couldnt believe the pressure it was applying and how it was still turning in the straps..

Here is a tow dolly manual link, which clearly states the steering should be locked. Here is a quote from the manual

Place the ignition switch in the steering wheel to the locked position and make sure that the front wheels
are pointing straight ahead. Assure that steering wheel is locked and will not turn. (Parking brake is to be
released after tie down procedure is completed.)
On vehicles not equipped with a steering wheel lock mechanism is imperative that the steering wheel be
immobilized by tying it to the seat frame or other suitable point with a ratchet strap or other device

FD

Get notified of new replies

To Towing with a Tow Dolly???

Old 04-08-2010, 01:01 PM
builder
Burning Brakes

I stand corrected. I have not had much problems although I only use a tow dolly within 15 miles, but......refer to item #9 on my list.

That's not in the manual.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Fishndude
Pro

Originally Posted by builder

That is the best point and I totally agree.. I will never do it again, thats for sure

FD
Old 04-08-2010, 02:01 PM
SharkintheWoods
Racer

I agree with don't tow it with a dolly. Years back I towed my 80 from Houston to Atlanta on a dolly since the vehicle I had at the time wasn't approved by uhaul for a trailer. Once the car was on the dolly it towed OK unless of course you needed to back up in any form or fashion. The huge problem I had with it is I had to pick the car up and slide the dolly under it. The nose is too long and low to drive the car onto the dolly. It was about as much fun getting it back off the dolly and I yanked the clip that holds the air dam in place off in the process. I would not recommend it as a whole for sure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing with a Tow Dolly???