C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

On to my next stupid question!! The LTPWS light!

Old 10-23-2002, 10:18 PM
JB666
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default On to my next stupid question!! The LTPWS light!

The week before I picked my car up, the dealer put new tires on the car. He told me the light would "reset" after taking it home on the highway, that it hadn't been driven... I soon found that to be BS, so I'm assuming, next, something needs to be reset. Is it something simple like disconnecting the battery/resetting the computer, or do you think they damanged the sensor putting the tires on? It doesn't come on, until I've been driving for about 5 minutes, if that matters...
Thanks! And, to be honest, I think this is the only other thing I have to ask about on this car, everything else has been better then expected!!!

Jeff
Old 10-24-2002, 01:47 AM
vettl83
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: On to my next stupid question!! The LTPWS light! (Jbaker)

Are you sure they didn't damage one of the sensors? That would do it. On my ZR-1 it comes on when you start the car, then goes off within half a block of driving. If you think they damaged a sensor you need to be there when they break the tires down to check it out. Most tire dealers around here won't touch wheels with LTPWS. They told me they don't want to be responsible for them, due to bad past experiences with trashing them. Hell the Chevy dealer here won't even touch them. Good luck 84 CF 91 ZR-1
Old 10-24-2002, 01:56 AM
Rearview
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: On to my next stupid question!! The LTPWS light! (vettl83)

Are you sure they didn't damage one of the sensors? That would do it. On my ZR-1 it comes on when you start the car, then goes off within half a block of driving. If you think they damaged a sensor you need to be there when they break the tires down to check it out. Most tire dealers around here won't touch wheels with LTPWS. They told me they don't want to be responsible for them, due to bad past experiences with trashing them. Hell the Chevy dealer here won't even touch them. Good luck 84 CF 91 ZR-1

My car does the exact same thing. I know when the one sensor was damaged though. I was making a high speed run one day and all of a sudden, while deep into tripple digits I got a bad shake in the steering wheel. When I slowed down I could hear the parts rolling around in my tire. The sensor itself broke off inside my tire, but the band is still around the wheel.

Does anyone know how much a replacement sensor costs? I'm not too concerned, but if it's cheap, I might do it. :cheers:
Old 10-24-2002, 02:07 AM
merrick
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turning the ignition off is the reset for the light. They definately messed up a sensor if your tire pressures are correct. It is normal operation for the light to come on a few minutes after moving (at a certain speed a signal is sent from the tire sensor). You can pull the codes to see which tire or tires the signal is from. Or just let the dealer do it.

[Modified by merrick, 1:10 AM 10/24/2002]
Old 10-24-2002, 03:21 AM
vettl83
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: On to my next stupid question!! The LTPWS light! (Rearview)

My car does the exact same thing. I know when the one sensor was damaged though. I was making a high speed run one day and all of a sudden, while deep into tripple digits I got a bad shake in the steering wheel. When I slowed down I could hear the parts rolling around in my tire. The sensor itself broke off inside my tire, but the band is still around the wheel.

Does anyone know how much a replacement sensor costs? I'm not too concerned, but if it's cheap, I might do it. :cheers:
Rearview I believe those sensors are around 250.00 to 300.00 smackers a copy. When I put on my new A molds they will be MIA as new tires are allready mounted without them. I'm just going to pull the LTPWS/CRUISE CONTROLL fuse to loose the light on the DIC. Never use cruise on the ZR-1 anyway. Later 84 CF 91 ZR-1
Old 10-25-2002, 05:02 PM
JB666
Le Mans Master

Default Re: On to my next stupid question!! The LTPWS light! (vettl83)

Well, this would be pretty stupid if it's all it was, but.... I just checked my tire pressure, which I THOUGHT was ok. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the 16's need more than 32 PSI? I had just been out for about a mile drive, and it's around 50 outside, but I didn't think that was normal!! So, I put them up to 40PSI each... I haven't been out yet, but I'll be pissed if the gauge was actually WORKING, and I was ASSuming it was just screwed up!!! :nopity
Old 10-25-2002, 11:23 PM
Danno355
Pro

I think they busted a sensor.
The 32lbs of pressure should still be high enough not to trip it. i believe it trips around 25. I could be wrong, but I think thats it.
When my tire shop busted a sensor (because they didn't look at the stickers on the wheels) it acted exactly like what you are seeing. Down right annoying until they put the new sensor on.
Old 10-26-2002, 12:36 AM
lgetz1
Racer

Do what I do. Simply get a piece of black electrical tape and place it over the LTPWS on the cluster. This way it doesn't become annoying at night. Just remember to monitor your tire pressure frequently. :seeya
Old 10-29-2002, 03:10 PM
rockken_vette
Instructor

Default Re: On to my next stupid question!! The LTPWS light! (lgetz1)

A DTC is stored when a sensor fails to work. I think that DTC will continue to cause the LTPWS light to illuminate even if the sensor is now working. You have to ground one pin on the Data Link Connector (under dash) a certain number of times to get the stored code to clear. The manual has specifics for the procedure. You can also verify exactly which sensor is bad with a bit of testing. 25psi is the activation point. lower pressure in one tire, drive till a light comes on, read the trouble codes via the procedure, and verify you are getting what is expected. reinflate, and move to the next tire.

The local tire shop (Major Brand Name) broke my Left Rear sensor. I took the car in for them to replace the one they broke, and they took the replacement sensor and put it on the RIGHT REAR, and threw out the RIGHT REAR SENSOR (which was good). To complicate matters, the RIGHT Front and Right Rear sensors had been swapped previously before I owned the car, and I did not know it until I did the investigative work myself. After explaining the situation and sequence of events, They ordered another new sensor, and installed it.

The new LEFT rear sensor worked for about a month, and then quit. I gave up after that. Maybe I'll look at it next time I get new rear tires.
Old 10-29-2002, 03:37 PM
Putter
Instructor

Default Re: On to my next stupid question!! The LTPWS light! (rockken_vette)

The sensors are still available. Depending on which one you need. The following parts numbers are color coded: RF Blue 10098494
LF Green 10098495
RR Orange 10098496
LR Yellow 10098497
Try gmparts.com $98.50 plus shipping. C4vettes.com has the defect bullentin that tells hwat the problems were with the LTPWS. I found the service bulletin that had the part numbers for the sensors. You can find vendors that have used ones for about $75.00 Taber parts in Indiana had them at Bloomington. You might try them @ http://www.tabertouch.com or toll free @ 877-fix-avet. My does not come on until I have driven about 6 miles. I got tired of it, so I took the bulb out.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:22 PM
shawnpeebles
5th Gear

My "Service LTPMS' light comes on. The mechanic broke the passenger side rear tire pressure monitor when relaceing the tires. The replace the monitor with the correct part but the light still comes in. How do I go about reseting that sensor so my light will not come on?
Old 03-30-2010, 12:34 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

The only easy way to disable it is to remove the indicator light from the dash. Mine came with 3 since the previous owner admitted to one being broken so I decided to remove that feature from the car since they cost a lot to get replacements. I like to keep everything on my cars in working order, but that was one item I could let go.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:53 PM
shawnpeebles
5th Gear

I don't want the easy way, I want to fix or reset the sensor. Does anyone know how to do that?
Old 03-30-2010, 04:18 PM
tlhagen
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by shawnpeebles
I don't want the easy way, I want to fix or reset the sensor. Does anyone know how to do that?
You will need to manually reset the computer mechanic should have done it for you, make sure you have more than 25 psi in all tires, with key on and using a paper clip in the diagnostic port under the dash ground A terminal to B terminal 3 times within 10 seconds, A is in the upper right hand corner B is directly to its left, both Low Tire and Service LTPWS lights will come on you will now need to turn key off then back on, you will now need to go for a drive to reach a speed of more than 25 mph for 30 seconds hope this helps you good luck
Old 03-30-2010, 07:45 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Be nice to know the Year - there are differences.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:24 PM
shawnpeebles
5th Gear

Thanks tlhagen, I will try that. SunCr, it is a '95.

Get notified of new replies

To On to my next stupid question!! The LTPWS light!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: On to my next stupid question!! The LTPWS light!