Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

FM reception sucks after install of Kenwood DNX5140

Old 03-28-2010, 06:00 PM
speedy77
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default FM reception sucks after install of Kenwood DNX5140

Finally got my total sweep done !!....One thing I haven't been able to get right is the FM reception. It's not even close to the Blose unit.
I have the blue wire on the GMCO / B3 hooked to the power antenna wire from HU (I also had tried the wire for the amp power up...the same). It does get better when I attach the power wire but still poor. I checked the bigger antenna wire seems OK.
Does the ground wires have anything to do with it ? I just have all the blk. wires hooked together but didn't run them to ground. Everthing else works fine on the HU.
Is there an FM setting in the Kenwood 5140 ? I looked through the manual 100 times..nothing.
Thanks
Old 03-28-2010, 07:07 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by speedy77
It does get better when I attach the power wire but still poor.
If you have the module powered with 12v, that's about all you can do. Plastic cars make for bad antennas
Old 03-28-2010, 08:19 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

I didn't have great reception with the Kenwood I had, but then again my Alpine is really no better.

I had the factory setup in for such a short time I don't know if it was good or not?

Darion

Old 03-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Blackout
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by markcz
If you have the module powered with 12v, that's about all you can do. Plastic cars make for bad antennas
I only know of the C5 but if the C6 is setup in a similar manner with 2 antenas (one front windshield, one back rear deck both going to a power module) then you have to power up the module with the proper voltage. Markcz has been giving me great information! He is one smart dude on here.

Markcz/OP...do you have the module grounded? You mentioned all the black wires "tied together" but not grounded?

Last edited by Blackout; 03-29-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:43 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

In C6 there are 2 antenna modules, both located inside the rear bumper, and both have their own ground, so all you need to connect is the +12v. There is a 'FM Composite Signal' wire that normally connects to the stock radio, but nobody ever confirmed exactly what it does. I believe it's some kind of feedback type system that would tell the modules if the signal is good or bad, telling them if they need more or less amplification, but that's just speculation.

Click here for the antenna schematic.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:27 PM
WB6HRO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The composite FM signal is most likely the sum of the two antennas, less prone to fading.

It is also known as Diversity Antenna System using more than one antenna.

Sometimes they polarize one antenna vertical and one horizontal.

The intent is to fill in areas that may flutter due to signal strenth.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:50 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WB6HRO
The composite FM signal is most likely the sum of the two antennas, less prone to fading.

It is also known as Diversity Antenna System using more than one antenna.

Sometimes they polarize one antenna vertical and one horizontal.

The intent is to fill in areas that may flutter due to signal strenth.
This is correct. The service manuals spell out how this system works. Unfortunately, any aftermarket system won't give the FM composite signal. Our only solution would be to buy an aftermarket antenna or replicate the composite signal circuitry and algorithm used to fine tune the signal.

Jay
Old 04-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Jimmy 2 Times
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i put a metra glass mount antenna under the grill (where the center speaker is) and that greatly improved the signal.
The following users liked this post:
Beastifus (12-28-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To FM reception sucks after install of Kenwood DNX5140

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FM reception sucks after install of Kenwood DNX5140