Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How.. seats ... 1981 Corvette

Old 03-18-2010, 09:25 PM
Don81
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How.. seats ... 1981 Corvette

Okay here is my dumb question for the day. I'm new to Corvettes and my eyes are not as good as they use to be so have a laugh with my question. Anyway here goes...

How do you get the seats to fold down in the 81 Corvettes?

I haven't found the button yet?

Old 03-18-2010, 09:31 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Don81
Okay here is my dumb question for the day. I'm new to Corvettes and my eyes are not as good as they use to be so have a laugh with my question. Anyway here goes...

How do you get the seats to fold down in the 81 Corvettes?

I haven't found the button yet?

Either of my 81's nor the 80-82 style seats in my 69 have seat back release buttons....
They just move forward....could yours be stuck or fixed in place?
Old 03-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Leung
Burning Brakes

They should always be able to fold down, there is no button. Yours are probably stuck, my passenger side got stuck recently and I don't know how to get it unstuck.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Don81
Intermediate

When I got the car the passenger side seat just folded down by itself but the driver side did not. Then all of a sudden a few days ago the passenger side did the same thing.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:02 PM
BurlingtonJohn
Intermediate

When I got the car the passenger side seat just folded down by itself but the driver side did not. Then all of a sudden a few days ago the passenger side did the same thing.

Same thing happened on my '78. Just lifted straight up on the seatback and that seemed to fix the problem. No button needed ...

Regards,
John
Old 03-18-2010, 11:33 PM
Don81
Intermediate

Default Problem Solved

I fixed it. It turns out the metal hinges that rests on the lower part when the seat lets back was getting into a bind with the top part that rests on it and it was locking. I took a screw driver and stuck it in the lower part and pried out on it a little and it freed it up on both sides.

It seems like on both seats it was binding on the sides nearest the console. I freed both up a little and they both are working fine.

I appreciate the help. I normally don't like getting physical with my car unless absolutely necessary. I wasn't sure if there was a button I was missing or was something out of line. Turns out it just needs an little good old fashioned "adjusting".

Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:44 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 237 Likes on 127 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

Originally Posted by The13Bats

Either of my 81's nor the 80-82 style seats in my 69 have seat back release buttons....
They just move forward....could yours be stuck or fixed in place?
Old 03-19-2010, 06:22 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,308 Posts

I fixed it. It turns out the metal hinges that rests on the lower part when the seat lets back was getting into a bind with the top part that rests on it and it was locking. I took a screw driver and stuck it in the lower part and pried out on it a little and it freed it up on both sides
The passenger side seat back on my 81 has been sticking periodically, for at least the last 25 years. When it does, I've always fixed it the same way, slide a long thin screw driver down into the hinge. The seats have an inertia hinge that is supposed to keep the seat back from flopping forward when stopping. Sometimes they become stuck and need a little help to become unstuck.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:49 PM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
The passenger side seat back on my 81 has been sticking periodically, for at least the last 25 years. When it does, I've always fixed it the same way, slide a long thin screw driver down into the hinge. The seats have an inertia hinge that is supposed to keep the seat back from flopping forward when stopping. Sometimes they become stuck and need a little help to become unstuck.

i have done the same to my passenger seat since i got the car.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:40 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

yep, they should just fold down. your centrifugal weights are screwed up. there is a metal weight incased in plastic that supposed to lock the seats in the upright position under sudden deceleration or impact. as the plastic gets old, it separates and starts to jam in the joint. best thing to do is just disassemble the seats and remove the weights.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:31 AM
MCMLXXX
Racer

St. Jude Donor '14

when i first got my 80 the drivers side would not fold forward, passenger side worked fine, then one day without me doing anything to drivers seat it started working fine and has not given my any problems again. I love when the car fixes it self.

Mike.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:55 AM
toolman1981
Racer

Originally Posted by MCMLXXX
when i first got my 80 the drivers side would not fold forward, passenger side worked fine, then one day without me doing anything to drivers seat it started working fine and has not given my any problems again. I love when the car fixes it self.

Mike.
Is your car named "Christine"?

Get notified of new replies

To How.. seats ... 1981 Corvette

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How.. seats ... 1981 Corvette