C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Power top won't close all the way

Old 03-12-2010, 09:17 AM
PR4424
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Power top won't close all the way

So last night I drove to my hockey game with the top down and when I got there the top wouldn't close completely. It looked like it was going to close, the top would get about 8" from the windshield but then would go back down (as if I was putting the top down) until it was in the up right position.

I tried shutting the car off several times, indexing the windows and putting the top up and down numerous times. I eventually drove to a GM dealer where service was closed (I was hoping I could find a salesman who knows about verts). Well, I showed him what was happening then he went in to ask his manager for help and when we went back outside to show him it worked.

This happened once before but after trying to open and close it once or twice it closed properly.

Has this ever happened to anybody?
Old 03-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Justasheet
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you get any messages about the partition?
Old 03-12-2010, 01:04 PM
PR4424
Advanced

No, there were no messages except saying the top wasn't secure (not closed).

Any ideas?
Old 03-12-2010, 01:11 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I am thinking one of the limit switches...the top doesn't know that it is in that 'almost closed' position.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:38 PM
brimee
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 41 Posts

It sounds like the switch you hold in for the top to go up is bad and shorts the other way for down, dunno, maybe...

If it happens at the same position, 8 inches from the windshield, everytime then one of the other switches, but I thought it only activated them switches when it was all the way one direction or the other.

A quick look at the schematic it appears the only way this could happen is a bad control switch or folding top control module. Getting the top not secure message indicates that the control switch was released, that is the only time that it sends that info to the DIC. I bet you have a flakey switch.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:32 AM
PR4424
Advanced

So I have put the top up 5-6 times since the night of the problem and it hasn't happened since then. I am starting to doubt myself thinking that maybe I didn't hold the button long enough. Currently, when I close it it closes 80% of the way then opens slightly, pauses for about 2 -3 seconds then the top comes down the remainder of the way to the windshield.

Is the 2-3 second pause normal? If it is, maybe I was just releasing the button right before it started to move? I can't imagine I was doing that abut I was frustrated so maybe it is possible.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:18 AM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by PR4424
So I have put the top up 5-6 times since the night of the problem and it hasn't happened since then. I am starting to doubt myself thinking that maybe I didn't hold the button long enough. Currently, when I close it it closes 80% of the way then opens slightly, pauses for about 2 -3 seconds then the top comes down the remainder of the way to the windshield.

Is the 2-3 second pause normal? If it is, maybe I was just releasing the button right before it started to move? I can't imagine I was doing that abut I was frustrated so maybe it is possible.
The pause is normal....mine does it too (from what I remember before I stored it last year at least). This last pause I believe is the hard cover latching. Top won't go the rest of the way until that occurs.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Curti
Instructor

Default Power top

Did you ever resolve this problem? My car does the same thing, every time. When it gets to the 80% it reverses and starts to lower again.
Maybe it is common to black verts? ( see avatar)
Old 03-23-2010, 08:59 PM
PR4424
Advanced

No, mine does the same thing. Since this is my first Corvette convertible I am assuming this is normal operation. I haven't had a problem closing it since I started this post. I am thinking I was just being too impatient (hopefully).

Am I wrong in thinking that this is normal?
Old 03-23-2010, 10:36 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by IDSRVIT
The pause is normal....mine does it too (from what I remember before I stored it last year at least). This last pause I believe is the hard cover latching. Top won't go the rest of the way until that occurs.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:04 PM
hamertime
1st Gear

Default top wont go the rest of the way down

If anyone can help. my top wont close either. so the tonneu latch is not closing all the way is what I'm getting how do I fix it?
Old 09-19-2016, 09:00 PM
Curti
Instructor

Originally Posted by hamertime
If anyone can help. my top wont close either. so the tonneu latch is not closing all the way is what I'm getting how do I fix it?
I just put my elbo on it when it is almost closed. That way you are not messing with the switches and the tonneu still fits nice.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:49 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

Could be many things...most common the partition switches.

But...the reason I am posting, as a reminder is for many to review their owner's manual for the emergency top up/ down release procedure.
(Loosen a fitting on the hydraulics - pass side upper behind seat).

Good luck wished.

Get notified of new replies

To 05 Power top won't close all the way

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 Power top won't close all the way