C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Projector Fog Light HOW-TO

Old 03-16-2010, 01:18 PM
NavyC4S
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default Projector Fog Light HOW-TO

***DISLAIMER: I do not recommend or condone replacing factory lighting equipment. You may be violating state or federal laws by doing so. You may cause damage to yourself and personal property including but not limited to personal injury or death. By using this resource you are assuming all risk.***

Tools/ Parts:
Adjustable wrench
Socket set with tiny sockets
Needle Nose Pliers

TSX PROJECTORS
8, 3/16” x 3” bolts with nuts
Many 3/16” nuts
Washers to fit 3/16” bolts
100% Silicone sealant
Metallic chimney tape!

Fog Lamps:

Ok, first you have to take them out of the front bumper.

Go in through the brake cooling ducts, then you don't have to take the wheels off.

Unscrew the 3 bolts and remove the lamp as you see fit.

You'll need to map the beam pattern on a wall with the housing laying however it will lay top up. Use painters tape to map the pattern on the wall as well as the position of the lamp on the floor. Figure 10' away from the wall.

This will come into play later.

you'll need to put the housing in the oven. Back out now if you can't bare to do this. They are about $126 each...

Put the lamp in the oven ***ON 2x4s*** between 300* and 350* until the sealant becomes soft and malleable so that you can remove the lens. This could take 10 minutes or more... just check it intermittently.

IT WILL BE HOT! USE GLOVES

Pry off the lens !!!

You'll need to guess where the 2 screws that hold the reflector are from the back of the housing and drill holes there so you can remove the reflector.

Projectors:

You have your TSX projectors!

Now you’ll need to clean up the projection lines. Keep in mind the shield will be on the bottom of the projector because the lens flips the light. This will get you that sweet purple blue color at the top of the light. Skip the spacer nuts if you don’t want that.

Take apart your projector

Take the 3” bolt and put it through the projector screw hole on the top left of the front of the projector housing. Screw the bolt on until it meets the projector housing. Repeat this with 3” screws in all the holes.
Map the pattern of the bolts on the back of the fog lamp.

Drill holes and position the projector in the lamp housing!!!
Bolt the projector into the lamp housing. Use small washers in between the bolts and the housing if you can find them. FIRM, not tight. You will be adjusting the beam pattern.

Remember that beam pattern you drew on the wall?

Put an HID bulb into the projector and power it by some means, I suggest a jump box. Place the housing in the area you marked on the floor and using the bolts in the back of the housing adjust the beam pattern until it closely matches the one on the wall.

Silicone the lens back onto the housing and then silicone EVERYTHING on the rear of the housing. You can’t allow any moisture into the housing. One drip of water will fog your lens and cause you many countless hours of redoing your work.

Put It back into the car, connect wiring and mount your ballast on the removable panel by screwing it into it and gluing the screws. Replace the brake cooling ducts and removable panels.

Repeat for the other side.

You’re done!

Last edited by NavyC4S; 03-16-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:35 PM
PolishDude
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

that is cool, so you did not create any nice shroud? I did this when i added bmw x5 projectors to my mkiv supra
Old 03-16-2010, 03:55 PM
NavyC4S
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by PolishDude
that is cool, so you did not create any nice shroud? I did this when i added bmw x5 projectors to my mkiv supra
I did, look closer.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:14 PM
PolishDude
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

lol you changed the pic! but nice work
Old 03-16-2010, 04:18 PM
Varcix
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Turn 'em on and take a pic!!! looks awesome!!! how long did this all take?
Old 03-16-2010, 07:13 PM
NavyC4S
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by PolishDude
lol you changed the pic! but nice work
I had both of them up, but I got rid of the distraction

Originally Posted by Varcix
Turn 'em on and take a pic!!! looks awesome!!! how long did this all take?
Due to being patient and actually letting the silicone dry for at least 24 hours...bout 2 days

I'll get a pic

Last edited by NavyC4S; 03-16-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:55 PM
QbnSuperman
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

wow. what a great mod.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:28 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyC4S
***DISLAIMER: I do not recommend or condone replacing factory lighting equipment. You may be violating state or federal laws by doing so. You may cause damage to yourself and personal property including but not limited to personal injury or death. By using this resource you are assuming all risk.***

Tools/ Parts:
Adjustable wrench
Socket set with tiny sockets
Needle Nose Pliers

TSX PROJECTORS
8, 3/16” x 3” bolts with nuts
Many 3/16” nuts
Washers to fit 3/16” bolts
100% Silicone sealant
Metallic chimney tape!

Fog Lamps:

Ok, first you have to take them out of the front bumper.

Go in through the brake cooling ducts, then you don't have to take the wheels off.

Unscrew the 3 bolts and remove the lamp as you see fit.

You'll need to map the beam pattern on a wall with the housing laying however it will lay top up. Use painters tape to map the pattern on the wall as well as the position of the lamp on the floor. Figure 10' away from the wall.

This will come into play later.

you'll need to put the housing in the oven. Back out now if you can't bare to do this. They are about $126 each...

Put the lamp in the oven ***ON 2x4s*** between 300* and 350* until the sealant becomes soft and malleable so that you can remove the lens. This could take 10 minutes or more... just check it intermittently.

IT WILL BE HOT! USE GLOVES

Pry off the lens !!!

You'll need to guess where the 2 screws that hold the reflector are from the back of the housing and drill holes there so you can remove the reflector.

Projectors:

You have your TSX projectors!

Now you’ll need to clean up the projection lines. Keep in mind the shield will be on the bottom of the projector because the lens flips the light. This will get you that sweet purple blue color at the top of the light. Skip the spacer nuts if you don’t want that.

Take apart your projector

Take the 3” bolt and put it through the projector screw hole on the top left of the front of the projector housing. Screw the bolt on until it meets the projector housing. Repeat this with 3” screws in all the holes.
Map the pattern of the bolts on the back of the fog lamp.

Drill holes and position the projector in the lamp housing!!!
Bolt the projector into the lamp housing. Use small washers in between the bolts and the housing if you can find them. FIRM, not tight. You will be adjusting the beam pattern.

Remember that beam pattern you drew on the wall?

Put an HID bulb into the projector and power it by some means, I suggest a jump box. Place the housing in the area you marked on the floor and using the bolts in the back of the housing adjust the beam pattern until it closely matches the one on the wall.

Silicone the lens back onto the housing and then silicone EVERYTHING on the rear of the housing. You can’t allow any moisture into the housing. One drip of water will fog your lens and cause you many countless hours of redoing your work.

Put It back into the car, connect wiring and mount your ballast on the removable panel by screwing it into it and gluing the screws. Replace the brake cooling ducts and removable panels.

Repeat for the other side.

You’re done!
Sounds like a lot of trouble and potential trouble to go wrong.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:32 PM
NavyC4S
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by LS WON
Sounds like a lot of trouble and potential trouble to go wrong.
HUGE amounts of failability

Sick end result but I went through a second pair of fog lamps
Old 03-17-2010, 09:45 PM
NavyC4S
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Get notified of new replies

To Projector Fog Light HOW-TO

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Projector Fog Light HOW-TO