C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No audio from stereo system

Old 03-10-2010, 11:51 AM
SeeSixVert
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No audio from stereo system

Hey guys,

Long time "listener", first time caller This site has been a wealth of valuable info for me since I found the site in Aug of last year.

Ok, I've searched here and Google and tried what I could find, but stilll no answer to my problem. I have a C6 vert 3LT with Nav/Bose/Onstar. I replaced the factory head unit with a Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT (which I LOVE). I had it integrated to the Bose amp/Onstar with the PAC module and all has been working great.

2 nights ago, I accidently left a 12v work light on overnight and killed the battery. The battery is brand new, I just put it in over the weekend. But, it was totally dead the next morning. I did the manual entry thing, put a charger on it and the alarm went off. I disarmed with the remote and left it to charge to 100% while I went to work in my other vehicle. After work, I started it up and the stereo seems to be working, but no audio. I checked the amp fuse, went through all the setup options in the stereo, shut down the car, walked away for 30 minutes, returned to try again, still no audio. I disconnected the neg batt terminal, left it for 35 minutes, reconnected, started up, still no audio.

I called the stereo shop who put in the deck for me and made an appt to have them look at it. They think maybe the amp turn-on wire came loose or something. But that's 2 days away, so, in the meantime, I thought I'd see if anyone here might have another idea for me.

Thanks!

Last edited by SeeSixVert; 03-10-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:59 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Wish I could help ya but dont know alot about the subject. Had nightmares myself doing my complete swap out and they gave me alot of help in the Audio Section. Try posting over there. They can likely help you.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:16 PM
SeeSixVert
8th Gear

Oh! My apologies, I didn't see the audio section, I just went to C6. I'll try over there

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2010, 04:08 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

you gettin chimes or no. if you have chimes it an issue with remote wire. if no chimes then odds are ur pac module is messed up
Old 03-10-2010, 04:34 PM
SeeSixVert
8th Gear

Hey thanks, pentavolvo. As a matter of fact, I'm not getting chimes. I just went and searched the actual audio forum...before, I searched all forums and went through several pages of results before posting. After looking at dozens of posts in there, I've decided to just wait and let the stereo experts look at it.

If it just suddenly quit generating audio for no apparent reason, I would've suspected the Bose PAC module died or came loose or something...but, since this happened right after the battery going dead and the alarm going off, I was hoping that maybe the amp is reacting to that...and maybe there was a secret reset I could perform or something.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:10 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

odds are its an issue with the pac module, if ur fuse for the amp isnt blown

the module is pretty crappy IMO tell them to put a relay in on the turn on wire
Old 03-10-2010, 10:02 PM
SeeSixVert
8th Gear

Yeah, I did see in several posts that it's flaky about the amp turn-on function. I'll have them put a relay on it. Hopefully it's just that a wire came loose or something on the module so I can get the chimes back and stuff.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 03-11-2010, 08:12 PM
tambeng
Racer

Originally Posted by SeeSixVert
Yeah, I did see in several posts that it's flaky about the amp turn-on function. I'll have them put a relay on it. Hopefully it's just that a wire came loose or something on the module so I can get the chimes back and stuff.

Thanks again for your help!
Please keep us posted. I am having the exact issue with the PAC module.

Everything works and after driving a car for two days, suddenly no idea, no chime, no onstar sounds coming out of speaker anymore.

The weird thing though is that I didn't have any problem with my battery and the audo just went kaput a couple of days ago.

I'm going to take my car on Saturday.

If you get yours fixed, please kindly let me know as how you do it and I will share what happens with mine also on Saturday.

Thanks,
Victor
Old 03-12-2010, 10:53 AM
SeeSixVert
8th Gear

Hey Victor,

Isn't it frustrating!? I will definitely keep you posted. I took mine to the shop yesterday and they never got it looked at. They'd tried to work me into their schedule and ended up having a guy call in sick with a full load of work to do. They're going to bring me in on Sun morning (when they normally aren't open) just to take care of me. I feel pretty confident that it's an issue with that PAC module. I'm sure that bypassing it to use the amp turn-on direct from the head unit and/or using a relay will solve the "no audio" problem. My only concern is that the module might be dead and he won't get the chimes/onstar working again, but we'll see... I guess worst case is RMA the module.

Anyway, I'll post on Sun to let you know.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:57 PM
tambeng
Racer

Sounds good, please keep in touch, hopefully it's just some stupid fuse.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:44 PM
tambeng
Racer

Just to give an update, I brought my car yesterday to get it fixed.

We tried to put back the original tapedeck and it worked ok, that means, not a problem with the bose amp or any of the fuse in the car.

I also don't think my kendwood headset is also bad, because when the PAC module was put back, not only there's no sound from the kendwood but also not sound from the OnStar as well as from the Chime.

It looks like the culprit is the PAC modul.

What will be a better module to get beside the PAC?

Thanks,
Victor
Old 03-16-2010, 12:41 AM
tambeng
Racer

Just to close the loop on this matter.

I got my audio fixed today.

According to the installer, the problem that he found was the power cable out from the PAC module to the AMP for some reasons only generated like a 5 Volt instead of the required 12 Volt, as a result it wasn't able to power on the AMP.

I am not so sure what he did but he didn't replace the whole PAC module but rather fixed the cable (not so sure how) so that know it was able to power up the AMP.

Hope that helps,
Victor
Old 03-16-2010, 08:48 AM
d.medic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
odds are its an issue with the pac module, if ur fuse for the amp isnt blown

the module is pretty crappy IMO tell them to put a relay in on the turn on wire
I would bet this is what they did.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:11 PM
SeeSixVert
8th Gear

I had mine looked at by the installer. I told him that I suspected the PAC module might be sending a flaky signal for amp turn on. I suggested he try using the relay and he said the amp turn-on happens via databus signal, not just sending 12v to it. He suspected the PAC module, too, so he opened up the dash.

He said first thing he noticed was the Onstar signal indicator on the PAC module wasn't lit. He checked power to it, double checked connections and everything...finally determined the PAC module is dead. He pulled it for me to return. So, now I'm tune-less

I think I'm going to skip it and just go all aftermarket instead of jacking with this integration bull crap. I wasn't happy with the sound quality anyway.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:47 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

bull**** the amp turns on via databus, it turns on via 12 volts let me tell you first hand. i still supsect it was a relay issue
Old 03-19-2010, 01:38 AM
echeunga
Heel & Toe

I wish i had seen this thread earlier. I had the same problem when i installed my z110bt a couple of days ago. I ended up calling PAC after figuring out that the Power coming out of the PAC module was 4Volts... he told me over the phone to take the Power Turn on wire from the deck (blue/white) and connect it directly to the vehicle harness (white wire) and bypass the PAC module. I did this and it worked. I guess this proves that it turns on via 12V and not via databus.

Get notified of new replies

To No audio from stereo system

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No audio from stereo system