C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best 4 post car lift...opinions

Old 02-09-2010, 03:54 PM
wkndwarrior
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default best 4 post car lift...opinions

i am running out of room fast in my shop now that i finally got the vette........and just by chance it worked out for kids to get a limo 6 seater golfcart for christmas that is too nice to not garage as well

i saw in a previous post about garage ideas and noticed quite a few people had 4 post lifts for storing multiple vehicles as well as service.

questions are
#1 what brand did you buy and roughly what was the total price (shipped)
#2 have you had any problems with the rack (would you buy same brand again)
#3 is your rack anchored, if not have you had any unsteadiness
#4 does it run off a std 110v plug

i appreciate all of the feedback in advance
Old 02-09-2010, 05:06 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm on my third lift in twelve years in different home shops. I've used both two post and four post lifts. Each has their advantages and disadvantages.

I built three frame off modified tri five Chevy cars with a two post FORWARD MANUFACTURING lift. But, since then my previous SUPERLIFT and my current BENDPAK are much more convenient to use since I'm not building ground up cars anymore. Plus I don't like getting down on my hands and knees to set the lift arms of a two post lift. Nor driving onto boards before being able to lift the car. It kind of defeats the convenience of owning my own lift. I drive my lowered Z16 onto the lift runways w/o all that fuss. I'm capable of doing any type of under hoist work with a 2 ton tri pod jack, adjustable jack tray and bottle jacks. I can lift my Z16 higher than it's comfortable to work under. If I lift our Trailblazer or Silverado Crew Cab, I cannot lift to maximum height, but high enough to use an old office chair beneath.

You should still be able to find dozens of past threads in both C5 General and C5 Tech. Most of them had images, sources, costs, etc. Use search or search this forum (in the red banner) with keywords such as "two post lift", "four post lift", etc.

Concrete requirements will vary, but generally 3.5" to 4" of fully cured 3000psi concrete is sufficient for a home shop two post or four post lift. You only need more than 4" of concrete if you're using a commercial heavy duty lift capable of 12-15,000+ of vehicle. You can also saw cut and core footers if your concrete doesn't meet those specs.

My advice would be to buy more than you think you really need. And don't buy whatever is cheapest. Your pride and joy will be on top and you or your loved ones standing beneath it. Commercial grade lifts are built to take heavier loads more safely and they con't cost that much more than a "hobby lift". Once you use a home lift, you'll want to use it for not only your C5/Z06, but your truck or SUV. Your friends will want to use it, so it'll get lots of use.

Do lots of research online or by asking for brochures from the various manufacturers. There's a lot of differences when you really research them...structural steel vs mild steel, 110v vs 220v, powder coat vs paint, chain vs cable, clear floor vs overhead, four post vs two post, sand finished runwas vs diamond plate runways, aluminum ramps vs steel ramps, warranty and customer service, runway width, runway length, symmetric vs asymmetric two post lifting arms, etc.

Don't allow fast talking salesman who bad mouth other manufacturers designs sway you. Check the various lifts out personally if possible. You should be able to find plenty of owners in your area with various lifts. I checked out a few dealerships and independent shops as well. They're also a good source to check for suppliers.

I currently have a variation of the BENDPAK HD9 four post lift. I chose it specifically because of the company reputation and the redundant safety mechanisms. It requires a deliberate two step procedure to lower the lift. It requires an air compressor for the secondary locking system. Most lift "failures" are due to operator error, not lift component failure. I felt it added to the safety factor in my case. Practice strict shop safety with a lift, whether it's family members or friends.

Whichever lift you decide, ask them for recommendations for professional installers unless you're capable of a DIY installation.

In my case, I had no manner to do so myself. A local distributor/installer ordered the lift for me (no money up front required), stored it until he could deliver it and installed it. Cost to deliver/install and make one return for fine adjustments was $250. My homeowners insurance appreciated that as well. I'd suggest a 220v motor as they're more efficient. I use my lift almost daily. It is not anchored into concrete. It is very stable with weight on it at any height. I lift my Z16, my wife's Trailblazer and my Silverado Crew Cab with it. I have the caster kit and I wanted the convenience of being capable of moving the lift around my shop if need be.

I would buy another BENDPAK HD9 lift. The cost will vary depending on model.

Last edited by hotwheels57; 02-09-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:38 PM
navy99vert
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I went with the the Pro-park 9, because I have a Chevy 2500. If it's just for the Corvette the Pro- park 8 would work for you. Mine is free standing and it's sturdy. Now that my shop is built I plan on bolting it down because I don't plan on moving it now. They also have a store in Atl.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Ve..._Lift_s/36.htm
Old 02-10-2010, 06:18 PM
wkndwarrior
Racer

thanks navy99vert and hotwheels57

i have called both bendpak and propark and both seem like standup companies, exactly what i was looking for, didn't want to get duped by some shady internet salesman.

now i just gotta convince the wife
Old 02-10-2010, 07:41 PM
madmatster
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

about to get the bendpak hd-9 myself. after alot of research, i think it's the lift for me. i think the back yard buddy is a quality lift too, just a bit on the pricey side.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:24 AM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by madmatster
about to get the bendpak hd-9 myself. after alot of research, i think it's the lift for me. i think the back yard buddy is a quality lift too, just a bit on the pricey side.

It's a great lift for just about anything you might want to use it for. Just be sure you select the HD9 variation that is wide enough for your car and anything else you might ever want to use it for.

The variation that is only 37 1/4" width between the runways doesn't provide enough margin for error if you're not lined up perfectly straight. It's to easy to hang off the edge of one side or the other.

The variation that provides 37 1/4" to 44" (adjustable runway width) will allow for that.

Of coarse, you gotta post images when you get it installed.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:41 PM
kenzo
Instructor

I just purchased the HD9 about 2 months ago. As previously mentioned by Hotwheels, the adjustable width on the runways and extra room between the columns was a big selling point. My son and I set the lift up ourselves using an engine hoist. We took our time with assembly and it went fairly smooth. The only issue was the plumbing on the pump and which ports to use. I called tech support for clarification on the hydraulic hookups to the pump just to be certain.
The options I purchased with the lift were the caster wheels and the telescoping jacking tray. The lift is still new to me but seems well built and very sturdy. I am very happy with my decision.
FYI I also looked at Quality lifts, BackYard Buddy, and The ProPark 8 before buying the BendPak
Old 02-11-2010, 01:33 PM
wkndwarrior
Racer

Originally Posted by kenzo
I just purchased the HD9 about 2 months ago. As previously mentioned by Hotwheels, the adjustable width on the runways and extra room between the columns was a big selling point. My son and I set the lift up ourselves using an engine hoist. We took our time with assembly and it went fairly smooth. The only issue was the plumbing on the pump and which ports to use. I called tech support for clarification on the hydraulic hookups to the pump just to be certain.
The options I purchased with the lift were the caster wheels and the telescoping jacking tray. The lift is still new to me but seems well built and very sturdy. I am very happy with my decision.
FYI I also looked at Quality lifts, BackYard Buddy, and The ProPark 8 before buying the BendPak
any particular reason you were/are sold on bendpak??
Old 02-11-2010, 02:02 PM
kenzo
Instructor

I sent a PM
Old 02-11-2010, 02:20 PM
MN81C3
Instructor

I installed the Pro-park 8 last year. There is plenty of room between the post so I do not have to fold the mirrors and you do with other. I am able to safely part one Corvette up and one Down under a 10 foot sealing. Also makes repairs and Oil changes a breeze.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been looking at the Direct Lift, Pro Park 8, and installing it myself.
It's one of the better priced lifts; Any issues with it?
Old 02-11-2010, 04:25 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I have a opertunity to buy a National Auto Tools NSS8000 lift for $1500.00

Its a 220V system about a year and a half old. Is that a good price.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:06 PM
navy99vert
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Blow Torch
I've been looking at the Direct Lift, Pro Park 8, and installing it myself.
It's one of the better priced lifts; Any issues with it?
I went with the Direct lift Pro park 9. If you need any help installing give me a call!
*BTW I went the 9 because of my truck*

Last edited by navy99vert; 02-13-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:55 PM
TBZ06
Intermediate

I have a Bend-Pack HD-9. Great Lift!

No Problems and I have had it about 2 years.
I paid roughly $2400.00 shipped.
It's not bolted down at this time. It seems steady enough without the anchors, but I plan to bolt it down once I get my floor epoxy coated.
You can order the lift with a 110V or 220V power. I have the 220V unit.
I would buy the same lift again without any doubt.

Good Luck
Old 02-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by navy99vert
I went with the Direct lift Pro park 9. If you need any help installing give me a call!
*BTW I went the 9 because of my truck*
DANG Joe ...Be careful about volunteering, as heavy as that puppy is, I'll might take you up on it.
They wanted $600 to install it, and there's NO WAY I can pay that much extra. I think I should be able to figure out how to set it up myself, if I can just figure out how to lift the parts of he thing .

How tall is you ceiling and how deep is the garage?
Old 02-14-2010, 03:53 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Old 02-14-2010, 04:45 PM
navy99vert
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Blow Torch
DANG Joe ...Be careful about volunteering, as heavy as that puppy is, I'll might take you up on it.
They wanted $600 to install it, and there's NO WAY I can pay that much extra. I think I should be able to figure out how to set it up myself, if I can just figure out how to lift the parts of he thing .

How tall is you ceiling and how deep is the garage?
It's Very Heavy!! (but that's good) I have put mine together twice. I had it in the driveway took it apart to move it to the new shop in the back yard. We could do it in a few hours. I used an engine hoist to move the parts. The ramp with the cylinder is the heaviest part. What are they charging for shipping ?

Get notified of new replies

To best 4 post car lift...opinions

Old 02-14-2010, 06:21 PM
RLYSLO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I went with the the Pro-park 9, because I have a Chevy 2500. If it's just for the Corvette the Pro- park 8 would work for you. Mine is free standing and it's sturdy. Now that my shop is built I plan on bolting it down because I don't plan on moving it now. They also have a store in Atl.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Ve..._Lift_s/36.htm
wow, they are proud to announce everything on that site.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:00 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

It's Very Heavy!! (but that's good) I have put mine together twice. I had it in the driveway took it apart to move it to the new shop in the back yard. We could do it in a few hours. I used an engine hoist to move the parts. The ramp with the cylinder is the heaviest part. What are they charging for shipping ?
from the quote I got, it looks like about $500 They have a location in Florida, so if I go forward with buying one, I might just run fdown there with my truck and pick it up for about 20% of that cost
Old 02-15-2010, 12:21 AM
RGAZ
Advanced

Default Lift comments

Investigated everything
Went with the Bendpak HD9XW
Wanted to accommodate the C5 as well as trucks and small cars
Wanted the extra length ad well as adjustable runway width

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leYgoqd2i5c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsO-xVJxkqI