C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH350 - Fluid coming from torque converter shield hole

Old 02-08-2010, 10:43 AM
ixlor8
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TH350 - Fluid coming from torque converter shield hole

I have a couple of drops of transmission fluid coming from the torque converter shield hole.

What is the likely cause of of this small leak? Front Seal? Or torque converter?

If I took it to a shop. What would it cost to replace and repair this? How big of a job is this?

What other things might be done at the same time?
Old 02-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by ixlor8
...Front Seal?...
Probably.

...If I took it to a shop. What would it cost to replace and repair this?...
The tranny has to be dropped in order to get to the seal. Get a couple of estimates.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:13 AM
GPGG70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hold on there dont freak out just yet.
My 70 was doing this after I had change the fluid and gasket. What was happening was the transmission pan had a small leak at one of the bolts next to the bellhousing cover and the fluid was spreading or migrating into the bellhousing and dripping out of the weep hole.
I took the car to this so called mechanic and he tried to tell me that the trans pump was shot and he was going to have to pull the transmission. I told him he was out of his f$&king mind and that anybody with little or no brain could see what it was doing. Needless to say in my case I had used a crappy gasket and that was the cause of the leak, and i didnt have it torqued to the correct spec's either.
As far as the mechanic is concerned he lost mine and my family's business.
Hope this helps. It may not be as bad as it look's. Just be carefull who you have look at it.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:24 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, small leaks in the pan gasket can wick forward and drip down the dust cover. But if you haven't touched any of the pan bolts, it's likely the front seal. You have to pull the trans, then pull the converter straight off, pull the seal and put a new one in. The seal is probably less than $5.00. It really isn't a difficult job, just takes some time. Most of that will probably be in pulling your exhaust back to the cat...
Old 02-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Red 71
Pro

Location: Melbourne, Fla. 6 months- New Middletown, Ohio 6 months
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First things first, can you remove the dust cover? If so, you should be able to see if any fluid is running down from the seal. Most likely the seal but as stated prior, "not always" Also, you want to check the pan bolts while you are under there.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:07 PM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by GPGG70
Hold on there dont freak out just yet.
My 70 was doing this after I had change the fluid and gasket. What was happening was the transmission pan had a small leak at one of the bolts next to the bellhousing cover and the fluid was spreading or migrating into the bellhousing and dripping out of the weep hole.
I took the car to this so called mechanic and he tried to tell me that the trans pump was shot and he was going to have to pull the transmission. I told him he was out of his f$&king mind and that anybody with little or no brain could see what it was doing. Needless to say in my case I had used a crappy gasket and that was the cause of the leak, and i didnt have it torqued to the correct spec's either.
As far as the mechanic is concerned he lost mine and my family's business.
Hope this helps. It may not be as bad as it look's. Just be carefull who you have look at it.

my 81 was doing this and after i got a few quote to r and r my trans (1K) i took the dust cover off and found out it was a couple of things 1st it was the pan gasket PO had over tightened the pan bolts. and 2nd the oil filler tube gasket was leaking.

good luck
Old 02-08-2010, 03:58 PM
ixlor8
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by larryg3

my 81 was doing this and after i got a few quote to r and r my trans (1K) i took the dust cover off and found out it was a couple of things 1st it was the pan gasket PO had over tightened the pan bolts. and 2nd the oil filler tube gasket was leaking.

good luck
I know that the fluid we recently changed, before I got the car. I will check out. Thanks for all the help/

Get notified of new replies

To TH350 - Fluid coming from torque converter shield hole

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TH350 - Fluid coming from torque converter shield hole