C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are all C3 frames the same?

Old 01-20-2010, 09:24 PM
1982CorvetteDude
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Are all C3 frames the same?

I know this comes up a lot, I think they are close but not exact enough to allow someone to bolt a 69 body to a 82 frame without doing some serious modifications to be able to utilize the 69 bumpers and drivetrain.

I sparked a slight debate, and if I'm wrong please correct me....but some people seem to think the differences aren't enough to make a difference in which frame you choose. I beg to differ...this is some difference across the years.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showth...81#post1889381
Old 01-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Just the difference in the way the rear differentials are mounted is one major difference.

Auto and Manual tranny's go in entirely different as well.

I don't have those 2 exhaust pipe holes that you see on the older cars.

And I suspect some of the holes in the frame sections will not line up (bumper bars and such).

The basic frame itself is much the same but that ain't all there is to it though.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:58 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

There are some differences, but nothing you can't work around. If you wanted to put a 69 body on an 82 frame (or any from 75 and up), you would have to graft your old 69 rails past the rearend to your newer frame. I'm sure some tweaking is needed up at the front of the frame too, but I don't know if you could work with the 82s' front frame extension or not.

Transmission crossmembers...you should be able to swap automatics and standards w/o any problem. the older manual frames had a welded crossmember, automatics unbolted. You'd just need to weld a pivot stud on the frame for your clutch. I think at some point (75?) all cars got the removeable crossmember. They all had 2 exhaust holes up to 82.

Basically all the way back to 63 the frames are similar...body mounts did move between C2 and C3 generations, e-brake brackets did change, kickups were strengthened, the very fronts and rear are different throughout the years, and the rear frame sections of midyears have a distinct downturn to them as they meet the bumpers.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:29 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 258 Likes on 206 Posts

This may help...

http://www.tracyvette.com/frames.html

Get notified of new replies

To Are all C3 frames the same?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are all C3 frames the same?