Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] GM engine recall?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 03:27 PM
UR2SLO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM engine recall?

I dont understand why GM does'nt make a recall to change out a few components in the heads of the LS7 instead of just waiting for the motors to blow and have to cover them under warranty at about $17k a motor including labor. Im sure that GM knows that the LS7's have serious issues, the LS1's, LS2's, and LS3's dont have anywhere near the problems that the LS7 does yet they're only a fraction of the price. I myself have already been through a motor on this car, and even though it was covered under warranty it still wasnt fun to deal with and having the car down for so long. Now when i drive the car I dont have cofidence in the motor holding up, which isnt good when i know im driving a car with a sticker price of 75k+. I honestly dont think ill be buying another GM product again, and I dont know how people dont think its that big of a deal as long as its covered under warranty. What are you going to do when your warranty is up and the motor fails due to a defect?
Old 01-03-2010, 03:34 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Get a Katech engine....
Old 01-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Maybe because the vast majority of engines don't blow, and doing a recall would cost a zillion dollars.

As to GM vs. The World, I was recently considering buying a mid-grade German car. A nice BMW or Audi or Mercedes. The overwhelming advice I got on the forums for those cars was to never own one out of warranty, as they will eat you alive. What's the warranty on a $100k BMW, Audi, or Mercedes? 4 years/60k miles.

Maybe you shouldn't worry so much about your $72k Chevy. At least if you have to buy an engine, a new one in a crate is "only" $14.5k. Price out the V10 in a BMW M5 sometime.

Last edited by Gannet; 01-03-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:43 PM
ghostmech
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannet
and doing a recall would cost a zillion dollars.
Why would Government Motors care how much money it costs? It's all Monopoly money for them nowadays anyways
Old 01-03-2010, 04:12 PM
KIWIBOB
Advanced

I'm another LS7 owner that is now concerned that, the next time i drive up the road is the engine going to get me home again. The 14.5k replacement cost dont sit right with me after saving yeons for the Z the first time. So with all the threads on this, I'm wondering what i can do to make my LS7 bullet proof.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by KIWIBOB
I'm another LS7 owner that is now concerned that, the next time i drive up the road is the engine going to get me home again. The 14.5k replacement cost dont sit right with me after saving yeons for the Z the first time. So with all the threads on this, I'm wondering what i can do to make my LS7 bullet proof.
See #2 post above!

Jim
Old 01-03-2010, 04:40 PM
KIWIBOB
Advanced

Thanks Jim, but not easy to get here in NewZealand, just wanted to know from other members if a few minor mods. may help me sleep a little more. With 17k on the clock and the roof deal as well, i'm really a little worried. Bob.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,956 Likes on 5,345 Posts

There just aren't that many failures to make the OPs comments a serious concern for you. How many 2006 engines had a problem? I see these cars tracked all the time and haven't seen as many failures that I saw with the C5 (LS1 or LS6). Mole hills tend to become mountains on this forum.

Bill
Old 01-03-2010, 05:53 PM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Jim, but not easy to get here in NewZealand, just wanted to know from other members if a few minor mods. may help me sleep a little more. With 17k on the clock and the roof deal as well, i'm really a little worried. Bob.
Bob, it seems to me that the most common pre-emptive fix is replacing the exhaust valves and upgrading the oil system if you track the car.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:23 PM
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Typically, recalls are done for safety defects. Service bulletins are used to handle non-safety issues, and warranty may be extended if it seems to be a widespread problem.

Porsche had huge problems with early Boxsters needing engine replacement, BTW. The joke was that the light on the dash was the 'Change Engine' light.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:32 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
There just aren't that many failures to make the OPs comments a serious concern for you. How many 2006 engines had a problem? I see these cars tracked all the time and haven't seen as many failures that I saw with the C5 (LS1 or LS6). Mole hills tend to become mountains on this forum.

Bill
The bold statement always baffles me.

i'm not trying to be agrumentative at all. JMHO

We take the number of blown engine posts from here and extrapolate that to the general population purchases.

GM won't even tell how many engines have been blown, valves gone bad, thats bad marketing and PR. I would think those numbers are held close to the vest.

Not everyone who owns or has owned a Z is on this forum.

I know of 4 blown here in DFW where the people don't even care that this forum exsists.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:51 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I've had one pop and I understand your loss of confidence. My engine is now bulletproof and I have a hard time going over 6K rpm.
Where would they start on a recall? Exhaust valves, pistons, oiling system, rockers; it would cost more than fixing them as they break.
As for the people who say "they are few and far between", how do you know? I personally know only about 10 Z06 owner and half of them have had issues; one is on his third motor.
Katech is a great option but doesn't fit alot of owner's budgets.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:00 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Wasn't there a poll here on this board where only people with issues were people that modded their cars? I think there were like 2 early 2006 engines that were not modded in some way.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:01 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinke23
I've had one pop and I understand your loss of confidence. My engine is now bulletproof and I have a hard time going over 6K rpm.
Where would they start on a recall? Exhaust valves, pistons, oiling system, rockers; it would cost more than fixing them as they break.
As for the people who say "they are few and far between", how do you know? I personally know only about 10 Z06 owner and half of them have had issues; one is on his third motor.
Katech is a great option but doesn't fit alot of owner's budgets.
Ask RichieRich he would know how many problems where at his dealership

Clif
Old 01-03-2010, 07:05 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by HyperX
Wasn't there a poll here on this board where only people with issues were people that modded their cars? I think there were like 2 early 2006 engines that were not modded in some way.
Absolutely not. From what I see (and the guys I know), it's about 50/50.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:10 PM
skudlw
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the L7 engine is great and have had no problems unless you abuse them. They are only mechanical parts and if you treat them right, this engine should last at least 150K miles. What a bunch of complainers.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:14 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by skudlw
I think the L7 engine is great and have had no problems unless you abuse them. They are only mechanical parts and if you treat them right, this engine should last at least 150K miles. What a bunch of complainers.
BS. There is a reason why the ZR1 went in a different direction.

Get notified of new replies

To GM engine recall?

Old 01-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Big Top Gt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannet
Maybe you shouldn't worry so much about your $72k Chevy. At least if you have to buy an engine, a new one in a crate is "only" $14.5k. Price out the V10 in a BMW M5 sometime.
You're not even kidding.

Mine's an 06 and currently has 28XXX miles on it. So far, it's not had any major failures (only had to have a few trim pieces replaced here and there, plus an oil change or two) but the idea of the warranty being up in May is enough to have me looking to sell it soon. (While someone else can keep it for 5 or 6 months under warranty and buy an extended if they want.)

I really want to buy a ZO6 but these horror stories are seriously making me rethink the decision.

To the OP: have you ever seen the movie Fight Club?

One of the best scenes talks about recalls and how they're calculated. Sure, the movie is fantasy, but this is EXACTLY how a recall is calculated.

Narrator: A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.
Business woman on plane: Are there a lot of these kinds of accidents?
Narrator: You wouldn't believe.
Business woman on plane: Which car company do you work for?
Narrator: A major one.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:20 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

^ your quote is the exact same way in the aviation industry. Cost factor of the fix vs the possible law suite resulting from a crash...

In this cas, GM is waiting it out and replacing engines that pops in hope that the rate of blown engine is lower than the rate of cars going out of warranty...

You can always pull the heads, buy new exh valve and be done for a few hundred bucks as long as you do it yourself...
Old 01-03-2010, 07:31 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperX
It wasn't a poll but a person's data collection

Modded included different tires and wheels than OEM.

So to me it's not hard data.

Quick Reply: [Z06] GM engine recall?