C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 06:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Water Pump Replacement Help

Old 12-21-2009, 09:43 AM
mark1107
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Default Water Pump Replacement Help

Hey Everyone,

My water pump went out on my out of waranty 2006 A6 C6. A couple of people on here quoted some prices for a water pump at NAPA at 139.00 They said you have to buy the Silverado L92 water pump and its the same as the LS3 water pump.

Well my question to the forums is is the LS2 water pump the same as the LS3 water pump?

If it is then I can get the NAPA one for 139.00 versus waiting for Gene at GM Parts house to ship me one.

My next question is how do you release the drive belts/accessory belts on the LS2 motor?

I want to change it myself and I found some instructions after doing numerous searches, but no one explains in thier instructions how to release the belts and then put them back?

I could really use the forums help on this as I need to do it today.

Thanks!

Mark

Quoted from Shopdog.....

Except to stock OEM water pump is about $350.00 retail, if I remember correctly.

Plus anti freeze and a flush.....

Plus about 2 hours labor (minimum).....

So about $750 from a dealer is about right.

A water pump costs $185 from Gene, or $139 from NAPA (one of the few parts cheaper from NAPA than from Gene). The trick is to look under Silverado L92 instead of Corvette LS3. It's the same pump, but without the Corvette tax. Dexcool is $12 a gallon at Pep Boys. That leaves the 20 minutes of labor in your driveway to change out the pump. I don't charge myself for that, but if you do, then it should amount to about $15.

Does the 2006 have the same procedures as the 2005 listed below? (I did a search and couldnt find anything.....?

2005 Water Pump Replacement
Removal Procedure
Remove the air cleaner intake duct.
Remove the accessory drive belt. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement - Accessory in Engine Mechanical - 6.0L.
Drain the cooling system. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System .
Reposition the inlet and outlet hose clamps at the water pump.
Remove the inlet and outlet hoses from the water pump.
Reposition the heater inlet and surge tank outlet hose clamps at the water pump.
Remove the heater inlet and surge tank outlet hoses from the water pump.
Remove the water pump bolts.
Remove the water pump.
Remove the water pump gaskets.
Clean and inspect the water pump. Refer to Water Pump Cleaning and Inspection in Engine Mechanical - 6.0L.
Installation Procedure
Install the water pump and gaskets to the engine block.
Notice
Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.
Install the water pump bolts. Tighten
Tighten the water pump bolts a first pass to 15 N·m (11 lb ft).
Tighten the water pump bolts a final pass to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).
Install the heater inlet and surge tank outlet hoses to the water pump.
Position the heater inlet and surge tank outlet hose clamps at the water pump.
Install the inlet and outlet hoses to the water pump.
Position the inlet and outlet hose clamps at the water pump.
Install the accessory drive belt. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement - Accessory in Engine Mechanical - 6.0L .
Fill the cooling system. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System .
Install the air cleaner intake duct.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 1399659
2005 Chevrolet Corvette
Old 12-21-2009, 11:24 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

On the passenger side of the engine right above the water pump you will find a "belt tensioner" Put a wrench on it and you will be able to lossen the tension and get the belt off.

Randy
Old 12-21-2009, 11:29 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The tensioner is right above my hand. You can see the bottom of it from the picture of the t-stat housing.

Randy
Old 12-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Who gave you the idea that the L92 pump was the same as a LS3 or LS2 pump? The L92 pump has a different hose outlet angle, it would be aiming towards your pass side fender instead of coming out the front. The LS2 and LS3 pump are only the same for the 08 LS3. The 09 changed to a different pump altogether.
There is no such thing as Corvette tax except for the low production run that causes and increase in the price. It is the same in any manufacturing business, low quantity usually means expensive part. I would stay with the GM pump, there are companies making these in China now. You may save $50 on the pump now, but when you are on the side of the road with a car overheating because of a pump failure, you will quickly lose that 50 you saved. Stick with the GM parts.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:52 AM
mark1107
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Thanks Randy for the pic and instructions. Thanks everyone for the replies.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:10 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by jabbott
You may save $50 on the pump now, but when you are on the side of the road with a car overheating because of a pump failure, you will quickly lose that 50 you saved. Stick with the GM parts.
Hmmm. My three year old Z06 is on water pump #3 and *IT* is leaking. 47k miles. All replaced under warranty and therefore (in theory) GM parts. My wife's 2007 C6 (27k miles) is on #2. Hard to believe that China could do worse

Z//
Old 12-21-2009, 12:13 PM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't there an electric water pump available? Why not give it a shot?
Old 12-21-2009, 12:29 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

if you don't know how to get the fan belt off, what make's you think you can install a water pump?
The following 2 users liked this post by CMY SIX:
dh88 (01-21-2020), pecosbilly (05-08-2022)
Old 12-21-2009, 01:03 PM
mark1107
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
if you don't know how to get the fan belt off, what make's you think you can install a water pump?
Because I have done other work on my C6, after reading instructions on the forum, like replace all of the brakes, and change fluids, and upgrade performance stuff on the engine and so far everything went well. Pluss I have tools and pretty confident about working on my C6.

I just wasnt sure where the belt tensioner was since I dont have the service manual.

Mark
The following users liked this post:
vfmedic (02-21-2021)
Old 12-21-2009, 08:01 PM
mark1107
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Napa was the cheapest. I paid 250.00 for an AC Delco OEM Corvette water pump from Napa. We looked at the Silverado LS2 water pump and it is different and the pulley is different too.

Im going to put it on tonight. Wish me luck everyone.

Mark
Old 12-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Sparo2
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sent you a PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:09 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mark1107
Napa was the cheapest. I paid 250.00 for an AC Delco OEM Corvette water pump from Napa. We looked at the Silverado LS2 water pump and it is different and the pulley is different too.

Im going to put it on tonight. Wish me luck everyone.

Mark

Good call on getting an OEM pump. I had a hell of a time tracking down an idle-speed overheating problem on my LS1-powered '67 Camaro (same water pump as LS2). I found it to be present just after I did major work to the engine (cam/heads/blower, etc.), so it was hard to know what I had done that could have caused the issue. The temps would just continue to creep up until I increased engine speed to 1000+ rpm. It would then cool off very quickly.

Well, after much troubleshooting it turned out to be the Bosch water pump I had installed during my major modification project (original was leaking from weep hole). It just was not flowing enough coolant at idle speeds. Probably an inferior impeller design, but I really don't know for sure.

I bought an OEM pump and the problem was solved. Lesson learned on that one. Good luck on the install, it is very easy to do compared to most other vehicles.

Andy
Old 12-22-2009, 03:05 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Because I have done other work on my C6, after reading instructions on the forum, like replace all of the brakes, and change fluids, and upgrade performance stuff on the engine and so far everything went well. Pluss I have tools and pretty confident about working on my C6.

I just wasnt sure where the belt tensioner was since I dont have the service manual.

Mark
well you hit the nail on the head! ANY competent mechanic would not work on ANYTHING he does not have first hand knowledge of without having a good set of manuals, 125.00 bucks is not alot to make sure you do a job right! your asking advice from people who may or my not know more then you, I don't mind if you remove yourself from the gene pool. I'm afraid your going to kill me or someone I know, It does not inspire my confidence when someone does brake work without a manual and gets his info from people they don't know, and before I have to put my flame suit on, I have been a industrial mechanic/machinist for 25 years and still refer to the manuals
pecosbilly (05-08-2022)
Old 12-22-2009, 04:11 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 566 Posts

well you hit the nail on the head! ANY competent mechanic would not work on ANYTHING he does not have first hand knowledge of without having a good set of manuals, 125.00 bucks is not alot to make sure you do a job right! your asking advice from people who may or my not know more then you, I don't mind if you remove yourself from the gene pool. I'm afraid your going to kill me or someone I know, It does not inspire my confidence when someone does brake work without a manual and gets his info from people they don't know, and before I have to put my flame suit on, I have been a industrial mechanic/machinist for 25 years and still refer to the manuals
I agree with you to some extent, but there is some fantastic info here. And with a little common sense and some help from the forum aces and DIY threads so much can be accomplished. I have service manuals, but i actually come here and check first. And 90 percent of the time, you get spot on answers, along with priceless pictures.
pecosbilly (05-08-2022)
Old 12-23-2009, 02:40 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by blackvetterzo6
I agree with you to some extent, but there is some fantastic info here. And with a little common sense and some help from the forum aces and DIY threads so much can be accomplished. I have service manuals, but i actually come here and check first. And 90 percent of the time, you get spot on answers, along with priceless pictures.
I stiil talk jobs that I have done before over with other mechanics before I start, and come here to see if any bodys got anything to make it easier/cheaper I am just trying to impress upon people that you have a $50.000 car and just a small mistake can really cost you in more ways then one $150.00 shipped is such a small investment to have all that info at your fingertips, hell even the manual leave's something to be desired in some of there illistration/explainations. it is very satisfiying to work on your own car! I love it!!! but also very frustrating/expensive when it does'nt work out
pecosbilly (05-08-2022)
Old 12-24-2009, 01:55 AM
mark1107
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Default I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the advice everyone I did it!! It took me about four hours but I was able to get the belts off and remove the bad water pump and install the new water pump (including the gaskets.). I've been watching the cars temps and it runs the same as before. The only question I have now is should the reservoir be filled all the way to the top when the car's engine is cold? (Mine is filled about 65-75 percent.)

Since I spilled a little radiator fluid on the belts and engine do I have cause for worry about the life of the serpentine belt now or any other parts of the engine getting damaged?
Old 12-25-2009, 03:54 AM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

What a thing to say to a fellow forum member
The following 2 users liked this post by HC Mechanic:
AIR_RAM (12-13-2017), vfmedic (02-22-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Water Pump Replacement Help

Old 12-25-2009, 03:58 AM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for the advice everyone I did it!! It took me about four hours but I was able to get the belts off and remove the bad water pump and install the new water pump (including the gaskets.). I've been watching the cars temps and it runs the same as before. The only question I have now is should the reservoir be filled all the way to the top when the car's engine is cold? (Mine is filled about 65-75 percent.)

Since I spilled a little radiator fluid on the belts and engine do I have cause for worry about the life of the serpentine belt now or any other parts of the engine getting damaged?
Nice work

Well I'm sure the belts will be fine. There made to be resistant various chemicals, and designed to live in the engine bay.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:27 AM
richgoat
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Nice job man! No better feeling then tackling a problem yourself!

My pump went on my 2005 wit 16k miles on it, but GM picked up the price of the pump and I paid about $300 in labor. Next time it goes, I will slap a new one on myself.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:55 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by HC Mechanic
What a thing to say to a fellow forum member
if you want your hand held go to 'handholderforum.com"
pecosbilly (05-08-2022)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water Pump Replacement Help