C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Injectors on one side not working.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:37 PM
davedirt
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injectors on one side not working.

Let me preface this by saying I am no mechanic. I have a 1989 L-98. Currently it will crank, but runs like s#%t! I have narrowed the problem down to the fuel injectors on the drivers side. With the car running, I unplugged all four injectors on that side - no change in the way the car was running. Like I said, I'm not a mechanic so I don't know where to look from here. I have had it in two shops. They don't even want to fool with it. (I can't afford to pay them either!) I am hoping someone here may have some experience they can share.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:46 PM
bitsa85
Instructor

If all 4 of your injectors go bad at once you should go play the lottery right now because that would be very rare. That being said it sounds like the drivers side injector harness is the first place I would look for the problem.(ie..broken and or grounded wires.)
Old 12-09-2009, 03:57 PM
bitsa85
Instructor

Oh, and I forgot to mention.... Do not assume that it is the injectors without testing the plugs and wires for spark and eleminating them or verifing them as the problem. I am an ASC certifed master tech and before I changed careers to IT I worked as a auto tech for 15 years so you can trust my advise.If you need it I can im you my phone# so we can work the problem more efficently.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:00 PM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One bad injector can cause a bank to fail.

Disco them one at a time to see if the remaning three begin to work. Ohm them hot and cold. Watch the videos in the FIC sticky.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:03 PM
94vettelover2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by davedirt
Let me preface this by saying I am no mechanic. I have a 1989 L-98. Currently it will crank, but runs like s#%t! I have narrowed the problem down to the fuel injectors on the drivers side. With the car running, I unplugged all four injectors on that side - no change in the way the car was running. Like I said, I'm not a mechanic so I don't know where to look from here. I have had it in two shops. They don't even want to fool with it. (I can't afford to pay them either!) I am hoping someone here may have some experience they can share.
On some older GM vehicles,one bad injector will not allow the injectors behind it to work.First check for injector pulse on the side where the suspect injectors are.Check all 4 for injector pulse.Second while injectors are still disconnected ohm each injector.They should read about the same(ohms).If getting injector pulse on all(suspect) injectors & all injectors ohm out the same pull fuel rail while all injectors are connected to fuel rail.Put a small container under each injector & have someone try starting vehicle while you watch injector spray pattern.Or you can switch suspect injectors over to other side & see if problem occurs on that side.No smoking while doing any of this!Post results
Old 12-09-2009, 04:05 PM
94vettelover2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bitsa85
Oh, and I forgot to mention.... Do not assume that it is the injectors without testing the plugs and wires for spark and eleminating them or verifing them as the problem. I am an ASC certifed master tech and before I changed careers to IT I worked as a auto tech for 15 years so you can trust my advise.If you need it I can im you my phone# so we can work the problem more efficently.
You mean ASE certified
Old 12-09-2009, 04:06 PM
davedirt
Cruising

ok this prob sounds like a stupid question to you seasoned veterans - how do I test the injectors?

I thought I might have some wiring issues or ecm problems. nice to hear it might be one injector.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:10 PM
94z07fx3
Race Director

ok this prob sounds like a stupid question to you seasoned veterans - how do I test the injectors?

I thought I might have some wiring issues or ecm problems. nice to hear it might be one injector.
The FIC videos do a better job explaining it than I can. Watch them.

Basically you disco the harness from the injector then read the resistance from one terminal to the other. It is not a comprehensive test. It will only show one that has failed electrically. If you see any in or below the 12 Ohm range suspect it.

FIC will hook you up with Bosch Designe III injectors all 8 for about $170 (check with them to be sure of pricing) and these are compatible with E15 (15% alcohol fuel) whereas the original ones are not.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:03 PM
FICINJECTORS
Supporting Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You can be a certified RN to test injectors. One shorted injector will keep the bank from working, also there are two injector fuses. 1 for each bank.. check those if you have not already done so. Then watch the video and report the findings.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:17 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Do a simple check, and check your fuse for the injectors as there are left and right bank fuses.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:32 PM
94vettelover2
Burning Brakes

Keep in mind that even if injector(s) ohm properly/in spec the injector can STILL be bad.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:47 PM
floridamale
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steve40th
Do a simple check, and check your fuse for the injectors as there are left and right bank fuses.

Simple to do and first place to start. It’s a step by step process to get to problem. Then get a node test light make sure you have a pulse at injectors, then try disconnecting one at a time see if idle improves, then ohm test them hot & cold . You can also listen to them using a long screw driver or probe while car is running you should hear a clicking sound. Good Luck
Old 12-09-2009, 08:48 PM
pr0zac
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you check the fuses?
Old 10-08-2018, 01:49 PM
luckiedon
6th Gear

here is one for you I have a 1985 corvette it only fires the new injectors on the left side there is no ground coming out of the ecm to make them fire they tell me the ecm is good there is a new fuel pump new cam lifters timing chain gears distributor couple of new sensors if I cross the ground from the right to the left the car will run not very well but it will what is the problem now with this car why wont the right injectors fire like they should I cant find what is wrong
Old 10-08-2018, 02:42 PM
FICINJECTORS
Supporting Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Is there 12 volts on both sides?
Old 10-08-2018, 02:58 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by luckiedon
here is one for you I have a 1985 corvette it only fires the new injectors on the left side there is no ground coming out of the ecm to make them fire they tell me the ecm is good there is a new fuel pump new cam lifters timing chain gears distributor couple of new sensors if I cross the ground from the right to the left the car will run not very well but it will what is the problem now with this car why wont the right injectors fire like they should I cant find what is wrong
Lets start all the way from the top. Look at your fuse panel and make SURE, in fact, change the fuses if you are unsure. That's fuses, both of them. Ask me why I said that.

Go to Autozone and borrow THIS. That will make sure you are having the issue. The side that doesn't light up, make sure that the wires are good. If you have accidently cut it, you will have an issue. Ask me how I know. You might have to run the wire all the way to the ECM by doing a pinout test for continuity.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:54 AM
luckiedon
6th Gear

like I said there is no ground coming form the ecm there is however power on both sides everything should be working as it should but it is not what could be the possible problem why is the ecm not sending a ground signal to the right side left side fires fine can jump a wire from left to right and get the car to run not right but it will run had the ecm tested and they say it ok bought a new one put it in and the injectors stick wide open they have constant ground and power this car is a nightmare lol

Get notified of new replies

To Injectors on one side not working.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:56 AM
luckiedon
6th Gear

I did pinpoint the ecm I put a wire between the ecm and the injectors nothing I try helps
Old 10-20-2018, 08:57 AM
luckiedon
6th Gear

yes there is power both sides but only left side shows ground from ecm
Old 10-21-2018, 09:42 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by luckiedon
yes there is power both sides but only left side shows ground from ecm
so new ecm?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Injectors on one side not working.