C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hyperflash Smyperflash!

Old 11-06-2009, 08:31 PM
diverdan
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Hyperflash Smyperflash!

I was hesitant to make the change to LED Tail lights and DRL lights because of the often discussed and much cursed hyperflash. The thought of adding thermite charge load balancers ready to melt anything they touch (or at least that's the amount of heat they put out if you believe everything you read here ) really gave me pause to do it.

I decided to do a test and put in the LED DRL lights with no load balancer and guess what: the flash rate is hardly noticeable! Only a smidgen faster. Having DRLs that are amber during the day, white when the headlights are are on, and flash white to amber when a turn signal is activated with the headlights is way cool.

I guess I'll order those LED tail lights.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When you install the rear LED's you will have even less load on the system and might still get hyperflash.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:03 PM
diverdan
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I considered that. At least it's easier to install them in the back.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:30 PM
ghostrunner
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The easiest and safest thing to install is a LED flasher unit instead. Don't have to worry about resistors getting hot and burning something if they touch something. No splicing wires.

With the LED flasher unit just unplug stock one and plug the new one in and it is all over with. Everything works fine. They are listed here half way down the page. Easiest thing I found for fixing the problem with no issues

http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html
Old 11-06-2009, 09:37 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by ghostrunner
The easiest and safest thing to install is a LED flasher unit instead. Don't have to worry about resistors getting hot and burning something if they touch something. No splicing wires.

With the LED flasher unit just unplug stock one and plug the new one in and it is all over with. Everything works fine. They are listed here half way down the page. Easiest thing I found for fixing the problem with no issues

http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html
Never seen these before, thanks for the info. Just for the record, which one would we need?
Old 11-06-2009, 10:06 PM
ghostrunner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SEVINN
Never seen these before, thanks for the info. Just for the record, which one would we need?
Will have to look for my bill from them for number but it was the one for GM. What I did was go to auto parts store to see one for the car and matched it up from picture. I also called them to make sure was right ne.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:35 PM
diverdan
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

If you could post the model number of the unit you have in your car, it would be great.

I had been led to believe the vette didn't have a flasher relay, it allegedly did it in the computer.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:41 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by diverdan
I was hesitant to make the change to DRL lights
Are these the 7443 switchbacks?
Old 11-07-2009, 08:07 AM
ghostrunner
Burning Brakes

If you could post the model number of the unit you have in your car, it would be great.

I had been led to believe the vette didn't have a flasher relay, it allegedly did it in the computer.
I haven't done it to the vette yet, I have only done it to my pickup so far. And works very well.

You might very well be right because I haven't looked into the flasher unit on the car yet. That would definitely make things harder to do if no flasher unit was on the car and would have to use the resistors for sure.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:40 AM
ghostrunner
Burning Brakes

Well you just ruined my day. Called the parts store and talked to them and they said same thing, no flasher unit on a vette. Since putting LED's and one of the flashers on my truck thought I had the easy solution for the car when I decided to put the LED's in.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:43 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ghostrunner
Well you just ruined my day. Called the parts store and talked to them and they said same thing, no flasher unit on a vette.
That is correct unlike the C5, there is no flasher. Because of this, I used the load resistors for my LED tail lights. Without them, there was hyperflash and it wasn't just a little faster, they flashed very rapidly.

I was interested in the switchbacks as well but didn't get them because of 2 issues:
1. There really is no room for load resitors to be easily mounted and I didn't want to mount them externally.

2. They are only white if you have your lights on, I wanted them white for my DRL's during the day and they will be yellow during the day unless you turn on your headlights which defeats the reason I wanted them.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:53 AM
diverdan
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ben dover
Are these the 7443 switchbacks?
That appears to be them.

I got them from forum vendor jw@jwmotoring.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:46 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

The Eagle Eyes L.E.D. tail lights load resistor is encased in 1 1/2" block of resin. It gets warm, but not hot.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:41 PM
diverdan
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Who sells the Eagle Eyes, other than eBay? (I don't do eBay)

I looked at their site and couldn't find that they made LED Tail lights for the C6 (or any Vette), which is odd since they clearly do.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:37 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I looked at their site and couldn't find that they made LED Tail lights for the C6 (or any Vette), which is odd since they clearly do.
I also bought the 'Eagle Eyes' LED tail lights off of *bay for $279 shipped and they look great and NO Hyperflash. They are on there sold by various 'middlemen'. Do a search. I created a thread with lots of pics of my Cyber Gray showing the stock ones compared to the 'Eagle Eyes' LED ones.

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 11-07-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:30 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

You can buy them from a forum sponsor under another name, but the are the same, and will cost you $100 more.

Get notified of new replies

To Hyperflash Smyperflash!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hyperflash Smyperflash!