C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RUNNING w/ failed OIL PRESSURE SENDING UNIT

Old 11-01-2009, 03:58 PM
marc5
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default RUNNING w/ failed OIL PRESSURE SENDING UNIT

There has been a lot of discussions about a malfunctioning OP sending unit but no one had bothered to ask or know if it is safe to run the car with failed OP sender assuming that it is only this sensor that is out of shape... input anyone?

Last edited by marc5; 11-01-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:19 PM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It causes zero issues in and of itself.....only potential issues with you not finding out about an oil pressure problem soon enough. Honestly, by the time the oil pressure gauge records a problem its probably already too late but could potentially save you a costlier repair if you were alerted sooner.

The other reality is if your just street driving.....even aggressively (and you know your not low on oil), these engines are extremely reliable in that department....there is only a minuscule chance you will experience any issues related to oil pressure and its even less likely with an OEM shortblock.

Just my opinion....not suggesting you never get it handled....just sharing its not the end of the world if you don't do it tomorrow or next week even.

-Tony
Old 11-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Due to trying to find the right parts to repair it "correctly" and partly to my laziness, my wife drove her car for a couple of months with a bad OP sending unit
Old 11-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

We can talk forever about whether or not you need to monitor your oil pressure (I happen to think you should) but certainly we can agree an oil leak is not a good thing to ignore. Once the sensor has failed it is only a matter of time until it will start to leak oil down the back of the engine. The sad part is by the time you are able to notice the leak, the engine will be soaked. So I say, fix it as soon as you can. No, life as we know it on planet earth will not end if you don't.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys, the C5 has an low oil monitor, it goes on if you are one quart low on oil. So, you will be protected from low oil level even with a bad oil pressure gauge.

Again, I am not suggesting you don't need to monitor oil pressure . . . I fixed my sensor.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove a car for 8 years with no oil pressure sensor and it didnt bother me in the least. If my Vette lost it I wouldnt replace it either and it wouldnt bother me at all. I cant even think of the last time I even looked at my oil pressure gauge on the Vette while driving.
My daughters light is flickering on her car and I checked the sensor and its leaking some oil through it and shorting it so I just pulled the wire off cause the sensor is a PITA to get to and I didnt have time to change it on our visit to her. I told her dont worry about it as its not a problem unless you start to see a big oil spot on the ground on your driveway.

Last edited by Z06supercharged; 11-01-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:39 PM
PilotofCorvette
Instructor

Two years and NO oil leakage.........
Old 11-01-2009, 08:38 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I suppose from racing my eyes are constantly scanning the gauges.I would go nuts with one out of whack!
Old 11-01-2009, 08:52 PM
supersupereight
Racer

Problem is you fix it and it breaks again..
Mine was fixed by previous owner and broke again months after I took delivery..
F the thing!!
Just Check your oil frequently and keep it topped off..
Thats what Im doing
Sh*t Im only driving to starbucks and shoprite
Old 11-01-2009, 08:55 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

2+ years and over 20K miles on my aluminum replacement sending unit.
I drove over a month before I could get at it.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rws.1
2+ years and over 20K miles on my aluminum replacement sending unit.
I drove over a month before I could get at it.
Surely you MUST be mistaken because I have read aluminum sensors will last no more than 30 seconds. If it's on the intewebs it must be true!
Old 11-01-2009, 09:50 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Originally Posted by Mark C5
We can talk forever about whether or not you need to monitor your oil pressure (I happen to think you should) but certainly we can agree an oil leak is not a good thing to ignore. Once the sensor has failed it is only a matter of time until it will start to leak oil down the back of the engine. The sad part is by the time you are able to notice the leak, the engine will be soaked. So I say, fix it as soon as you can. No, life as we know it on planet earth will not end if you don't.
Mine leaked on the back of the engine after it failed. I have no clue how long it was out as I bought it like that. It was a mess and started to leak on the exhaust.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:59 AM
RichAshley-Black99
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine started leaking down the back of the engine, replaced about 3 years ago and no issues since still working fine.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:44 PM
rmarks
Racer

Problem is keeping the car nice. First you have one minor unfixed problem, then another, then another, and finally you wake up one morning and realize that your beautiful vette is approaching pos status. So if it breaks, fix it now.

I've recently fixed: tear in leather seat, scratch on side, leaky wheel rim, pressure sender, new tires, oil pressure sender, etc.. Plus god knows how much time cleaning, waxing, and fiddling with it.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:22 PM
marc5
Intermediate

Mine is well-kempt... and in A-1. Drive it everyday to work, 4 days a week job; but I'm only 2.3 miles away from my work- 40MPH limit with two points of school zone. LMAO figure that out. Change oil and filter every 3k miles. Diligently following recommended services.
Have read a lot of arguments about "aluminum and brass" and now undecided which one to get. I checked as suggested in other threads to confirm if culprit is really the sending
unit by just turning the ignition key on without running the engine. Lo and behold reading is pegged.
NOW - that malfunctioning unit therefore is not giving me the right and actual pressure of the oil.
But then again you folks are correct I NEED to have it taken care of. Actually surfing local stores now.

Last edited by marc5; 11-02-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:35 PM
marc5
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PilotofCorvette
Two years and NO oil leakage.........
Two years with bad sensor? WOW
Old 11-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

If you relocate the sensor I really don't think you need to worry about which, brass or aluminum you use. Changing becomes a less than 5 minute job.

Get notified of new replies

To RUNNING w/ failed OIL PRESSURE SENDING UNIT

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RUNNING w/ failed OIL PRESSURE SENDING UNIT