Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adhesive that wont harm paint

Old 10-27-2009, 10:36 PM
Bullet Proof
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default adhesive that wont harm paint

Anyone have a suggestion for an adhesive that I could use that would not harm paint. Something with a little better hold that could be removable with some elbow grease? Something other than double sided sticky tape?..or something I could add to the tape??

Jim
Old 10-28-2009, 08:49 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Use 3M Trim Adhesive Remover . any auto parts or body shop supply store should have this.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Dudeurgettnavette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Use 3M Trim Adhesive Remover . any auto parts or body shop supply store should have this.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,218 Likes on 13,928 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

He's wanting to add adhesive to parts, not take it off. I'd be interested in any suggestions too.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:17 AM
robsc501
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi There;
The 3m tape works fine for me.I would check with your local body shop technician for a recommendation.
robsc501
Old 10-28-2009, 11:29 AM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Somebody didn't read the entire original post.

The safest product would be double sided adhesive tape from 3M in gray or black (or other body shop specific product). Don't use home improvement store white foam tape. It won't last. Carpet tape also won't survive for long. Check with local body/paint supply shops to see what they recommend also. Apply it to an inconspicuous area to test the results.

Whatever you do, don't rely solely on any manufacturer's website. I did that with the 3M emblem adhesive (#8061). The website said it was safe, but the package said it could damage clear coat/base coat paint. I tried it as a test and it literally melted the paint.

Last edited by hotwheels57; 10-28-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:51 PM
robsc501
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi There;
A very good post hotwheels57. Thanks for the info.Most vendors never mention the warnings printed on the manufacturers product. But guess what? They are the ones(manufacturer) who do the testing before it is approved for a specific use.Lesson learned read the instructions on the package first.
robsc501
Old 10-28-2009, 07:52 PM
widewheel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hotwheels57

Whatever you do, don't rely solely on any manufacturer's website. I did that with the 3M emblem adhesive (#8061). The website said it was safe, but the package said it could damage clear coat/base coat paint. I tried it as a test and it literally melted the paint.

#8061 is a total waste of money.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:58 PM
widewheel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What are you wanting to do, reattach something with the foam backed tape? There is a 3M product "Press-In-Place Emblem Adhesive" #08069 that is claimed to reattach emblems that still have the foam backing intact. I've never used it but it is listed on the 3M website. I think it would be cheaper just to get some of the foam tape from the auto supply.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:18 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Bullet Proof
Anyone have a suggestion for an adhesive that I could use that would not harm paint. Something with a little better hold that could be removable with some elbow grease? Something other than double sided sticky tape?..or something I could add to the tape??

Jim
Have you considered butyl tape? I bought some recently and used it for an auto related purpose. Very sticky. It's soft enough and malleable enough to be molded by hand if necessary and can be easily cut to length/size with scissors. Cheap too.
It can be removed using either emblem remover spray or wax/grease remover spray and some elbow grease.

www.pplmotorhomes.com

Click on "Sealants and Repair Kits". The particular item I tried was part # 38-1636 PPL is an RV sales/service company in Houston that also runs a parts department.

HTH
Old 10-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Bullet Proof
Burning Brakes

My brother is trying to re attach a fake hood scoop on his truck. I told him it was a sign to just buy the real thing....hahaha. I figured you gurus would have an answer to the problem. It would have to be able to hold up to the wind so the scoop wont fly off again...the double tape didn't work...but maybe the 3m stiff is different than what came with it? Do you think the butyl stuff would work?

jim
Old 10-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Munch
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

I would try the 3M tape as mentioned above. My spoiler was held on with this for a long time and when I went to remove it I thought it was going to snap in half before the tape let go. Make sure to clean the surfaces really well, maybe use some prep-sol.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:03 PM
MarkyMarkGTM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I am a body tech and I would go with 3M two sided tape. It is incredibly strong when applied correctly. I would use an adhesion promoter as well. I recomend the individually wrapped soaked sponges by 3M, they look like:

I would swipe the part (hood scoop) but not the hood. Just make sure the hood is clean and it should stick just fine, maybe wipe with a degreaser or alcohol type cleaner to remove any wax. I would strongly advise that you do not use the 3M adhesive promoter on the paint of the hood as it can leave a stain on the area (easily buffed off though)

Once you have wiped the "contact" surfaces of the hood scoop let dry a minute or two and apply tape to hood scoop. Peel of other side and stick on hood in desired location.

I should also mention that anything that is in contact with the paint for a prolonged period of time has the tendency to leave marks on the finish of some kind. Just talk to the people who have taken of their body side moldings. When you take them off after years of them being on chances are you can still see an outline of where they went. It is usually easy to buff it out but sometimes requires wet sanding and such. Just a word of warning when sticking stuff to a painted finish.

If done properly that scoop will never fly off and you they will be enjoying their faux body mods for years to come.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:02 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Bullet Proof
My brother is trying to re attach a fake hood scoop on his truck. I told him it was a sign to just buy the real thing....hahaha. I figured you gurus would have an answer to the problem. It would have to be able to hold up to the wind so the scoop wont fly off again...the double tape didn't work...but maybe the 3m stiff is different than what came with it? Do you think the butyl stuff would work?

jim
Huh? Why not? I wonder why all the C5 body side moldings dont' come flying off the doors if that were the case. Since I was not aware of what you were trying to do, I too would recommend the gray 3M. Believe me, when properly installed, there is not a street legal truck (or Corvette for that matter) made that can go fast enough to rip it off. That 3M stuff is the real deal.

Btw, removal of ALL the old adhesive/tape is critical.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:09 AM
Bullet Proof
Burning Brakes

Thank you for all the replies

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To adhesive that wont harm paint

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: adhesive that wont harm paint