C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions

Old 10-22-2009, 11:54 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts
Default C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions

I have redone the instructions to include a test of the glovebox slot before doing the long procedure so that people don't get into a situation where they erase all the old fobs and then find that the slot doesn't work and they can't add new fobs back to the system. I also would recommend that you attach a battery tender or charger to the car if you have one as a low battery can cause all kinds of crazy behavior from the car. This is especially important when doing the long procedure as it takes 30 minutes. Also, it is a good idea to disable the autolock feature if you have enabled it because it is a pain to have the car lock itself on you while doing this procedure and then have the horn honk when you open the door. Please keep in mind that cars made for export to Canada can only do the short procedure, the long must be done by a dealer. Cars made for export to Europe cannot do either long or short procedure, they must be programmed by a dealer. I believe this is the case for cars destined for the GCC countries also, but would like to hear from an owner there to confirm it.
Since the glovebox slot is something that most C6 owners never have used, they would normally be unaware that it is not working and may have never worked since the car was made. This is unique in the car because almost all the other systems in the car have been used at least once by the owner so as to know if they work. The metal key in the trunk lock would be another area that should be tested by the owner.
The glovebox slot has no electrical plug in it. There is no direct, wired connection to the fob...it is simply a place that holds the fob right next to what is basically an antenna. The end of the fob that holds the keyring must face outwards and the fob buttons must face to the passenger side.
Here are the instructions including the long, short and the test procedure for the slot.

C6 Fob Programming Instructions

Before starting, it is important to make sure that the glovebox slot is working properly. If it is not, and the long procedure is started, then the car will be stripped of its fob programming, but will then not be able to accept new fob programming through the slot. This will leave the car unable to be started. Since most C6 owners have never tested the slot, or had to use it to start the car with a dead fob, they would be unaware if it had never been working properly since the car was new. To make sure that the glovebox slot is working, follow steps 1-6 below. Then in step 7, you may either insert the new, unprogrammed fob into the slot and continue to step 8, or you may insert one of the fobs that is currently programmed to the car into the slot. If the slot is presented with a fob that is ALREADY programmed to the car, the DIC will say “Known Fob”. This shows us that the slot is working correctly by recognizing this fob. Push the bottom half of the start button to end the session if you were just testing the slot for proper operation.

C6 Fob, Short Procedure….use these instructions 1-10 when you have a working fob and just want to add another to the system, or to test the operation of the glovebox slot.

1. Put drivers window down all the way, then turn car off
2. Unlock car and open trunk
3. Glove box open
4. Put working fob on console next to shifter (the one you are currently using to drive the car) IMPORTANT. Also make sure no cellphones are in the car.
5. Put key in trunk keyhole and turn key five times in less than 5 seconds.
6. DIC will now beep and light up and say “Ready for fob 3”.
7. Put new unprogrammed fob in slot by glovebox with buttons facing right (passenger) side and keyring facing outwards.
8. Wait and watch DIC. When it says “Ready for fob 4” it is done. Up to four Fobs may be programmed to the car total.
9. When all Fobs are programmed, push OFF/ACC (bottom half of start button) to turn off DIC.
10. Test all four buttons on fob and then take away all other fobs and check car starting with new fob(s).

Testing the glovebox slot above. Step 6 gets the system into the program mode so that if you then put an unknown fob into the slot in step 7, it will be added to the car. If you put the already working fob into the slot in step 7, the DIC will say "KNOWN FOB" and nothing additional will be programmed. When it says KNOWN FOB, it shows you that the slot is working as it has read the fob and told you that it already has that fob programmed to the car. At this point, just push the OFF part of the start button and all is good, no changes made. If , at step 7, you put a known fob in the slot and the DIC does not say KNOWN FOB, then the slot is not working and you should not do the long procedure.

C6 Fob Long Procedure….use these instructions 11-22 to erase car memory and reprogram all Fobs. Be sure to confirm proper operation of the glovebox slot with the short procedure before using this one. Any lost Fobs that are not reprogrammed with this procedure will no longer work on the car. Lost Fobs that are later found may be added to the car with the short programming procedure. This procedure requires three consecutive ten minute waiting periods, so plan on spending about a half hour to do this, during which the car may not be moved. Remember that the number printed on the Fob only indicates the way it was first programmed at the factory. All Fobs are identical. The order in which they are placed in the glovebox slot determines what number the Fob is.

11. Drivers window down, car off
12. Trunk open
13. Glove box open
14. Make sure NO Fobs are anywhere near the car. IMPORTANT.
15. Put key in trunk keyhole and turn key five times in less than 5 seconds.
16. DIC will now beep and light up and say “Off/Acc to learn” If you decide at this point NOT to do the programming now, push the TOP half of the Start button and the car will return to normal. With step 17, all previous fobs will be erased. To continue with programming:
17. Push bottom half of the Start button. DIC will say to wait 10 minutes and will start counting down the minutes. You may close the trunk and car door while waiting for the ten minute countdowns.
18. After the first 10 minute countdown, DIC will again say “Off/Acc to learn”. Push bottom half of Start button again. DIC will again start counting down the ten minutes.
19. After the second 10 minute countdown, DIC will again say “Off/Acc to learn”. Push bottom half of Start button again. DIC will again start counting down the ten minutes.
20. After this third ten minute period is over, DIC will say “Ready for Fob #1” Regardless of the number on the Fob, the FIRST Fob that is put in the glovebox slot will be recognized as Fob #1. Put the first Fob in the glovebox slot with the buttons facing to the right (passenger) side and the keyring end facing outwards.
21. After 3 or four seconds the DIC will beep and say “Ready for Fob #2”. Put the second Fob in the slot. The car will take a maximum of four fobs. When you have no more Fobs to program, push the bottom half of the Start button to end the programming session.
22. Test all buttons on the fobs to make sure they work, then take all fobs away from the car and, one by one, try using each to start the car.

Please read through the rest of the thread as many people have added their tips and tricks...lots of good info

Added 9/13/2015: If the car CAN be put into the programming mode but the slot FAILS to recognize a fob, it could be that the system antenna that is attached directly behind the slot is either: 1. defective or 2. (More likely)Unplugged from its' wiring harness or 3. (Also more likely) not properly positioned in its' own slot directly behind the glovebox slot. Pulling the glovebox out will allow this to be easily observed. This antenna must be very very close to the fob in the slot in order to program the fob. See this thread for a diagram and pics of a situation where the antenna was not replaced into its' slot after work was done. It caused serious problems and yet was a very simple fix:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...b-only-me.html

Thanks to GhostC6 and Dano523 for some good pictures, diagrams and analysis on the problem.

Last edited by cclive; 04-23-2016 at 11:01 AM.
The following 28 users liked this post by cclive:
03hdfatboy (09-07-2017), 72greg (09-15-2019), Bariman00 (05-17-2023), Boat (02-20-2023), Cherokee Nation (10-20-2018), corvette312 (04-06-2016), ctaranto (05-25-2022), dddfx (02-12-2018), Evan Sanza (11-03-2019), Furor (03-26-2017), Grabbed_Crow_Mobe (02-28-2018), Homeboy981 (05-29-2018), Itshakes (06-15-2017), Jaybird29 (05-31-2017), Jimmyjoe (04-14-2019), Josh M Boggs (10-26-2020), lobstah24 (03-21-2024), luv2kruze (11-17-2018), MarkDD (11-14-2016), OwensRacing (10-09-2017), pkohler (05-17-2020), Rodzilla37 (05-10-2020), Seadawg (09-10-2023), Stats (05-29-2018), Stavesacre21 (10-17-2018), Tydriver (04-26-2016), unkled20 (04-16-2022), ws6outlaw (08-14-2023) and 23 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-22-2009, 12:19 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Thank you. Have you done both versions as listed and confirmed they both work? Just want to verify. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
f1rob (04-23-2019)
Old 10-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Shortimer
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for posting!
Old 10-22-2009, 12:35 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RicK T
Thank you. Have you done both versions as listed and confirmed they both work? Just want to verify. Thanks.
Have done both many many times on many different C6s.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:45 PM
almondted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Good info! This should be a sticky somewhere in here...
Old 10-22-2009, 12:51 PM
RRVettes
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Well done Chris, I added this thread to the C6 FAQ.
The following 2 users liked this post by RRVettes:
MarkDD (11-14-2016), Ok Boomer (02-20-2020)
Old 10-22-2009, 12:54 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Thanks Rich!
Old 10-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm...guess I should read my owner's manual because I don't even know what a "glovebox slot" is...
Old 10-22-2009, 01:29 PM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris, Just wanted to make sure. If I wanted to just program FOB #3 do I follow your 1-10 steps and turn the car OFF when its done?
Old 10-22-2009, 01:34 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Top_Fuel
Hmmm...guess I should read my owner's manual because I don't even know what a "glovebox slot" is...
So then, I'm assuming that you don't know whether it works either...lol
Old 10-22-2009, 01:35 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LOUSVETTE
Chris, Just wanted to make sure. If I wanted to just program FOB #3 do I follow your 1-10 steps and turn the car OFF when its done?
Yes, to add fob#3...just 1-10 and step 9 will actually turn car off.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
So then, I'm assuming that you don't know whether it works either...lol
10-4. And while I'm embarrasing myself, I might as well admit I've never tried my trunk key, either... :o

Now I feel like an idiot and will try it tonight.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:29 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Chris,

Did you check out my Cliff notes in the PM?

Elmer
Old 10-22-2009, 07:00 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Top_Fuel
10-4. And while I'm embarrasing myself, I might as well admit I've never tried my trunk key, either... :o

Now I feel like an idiot and will try it tonight.
Just think about doing the learning and testing in an airport parking lot after a long flight, late at night....some incentive to do it in a warm garage with a cold beer in hand!
72greg (09-14-2019)
Old 10-22-2009, 07:01 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Chris,

Did you check out my Cliff notes in the PM?

Elmer
Hi Elmer, got nothing but the PM....no notes:
Old 10-22-2009, 07:38 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Hi Elmer, got nothing but the PM....no notes:

OK, let's try this:

>>C6 Fob Programming and Glove Box Slot Testing Procedures<<

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 03-21-2013 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Updated Procedure & File type to pdf
Stats (05-29-2018)
Old 10-23-2009, 12:50 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Interesting way of laying it out...good to give people another way of looking at the instructions....

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions

Old 10-23-2009, 04:34 AM
fred_S
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

May I ask a question Chris, you being the "Fob programming master".

Is it possible that this only works for US version Corvettes end not for the European version. The reason I ask is that I have tried your method several times and I can't get the DIC message to appear. I tried to turn the key slow. faster, very fast, insanely fast, well you get the point.

Your thoughts please.

Fred
Old 10-23-2009, 11:50 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Fred, I am thinking that its not a european version problem that is keeping yours from going into the program mode. The Canadian version of the car cannot have the long procedure done without dealer intervention. But it can still be put into programming mode with the key to allow the short procedure. I think you should check and make sure that the two wires from the end of your key switch are actually plugged in to the wiring harness. The key lock has two purposes, first is to mechanically pull the cable to open the trunk, and second is to make contact with a simple single pole switch. This switch goes to the computer and puts the car into the programming mode when the computer sees 5 closings of the switch in close sequence. You could even try disconnecting the key switch from the harness and then manually connect the two contacts on the harness 5 times with a piece of wire to kick it into the mode.
I have sent fobs to people in Europe and they have had no problem adding a fob with these same instructions. The Canadian version is the way it is because of their government regulations and not because of something that Chevy wants, so I don't think that the same apply in Europe.

One thing to try also...the key switch contacts may be dirty...so you might try turning more than five times. The system does not care WHICH 5 times...so if you just keep turning the key, it may pick up turns 8-12 and respond to those 5, for example. Hope this makes sense.

Last edited by cclive; 10-23-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:53 AM
fred_S
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you should check and make sure that the two wires from the end of your key switch are actually plugged in to the wiring harness.
I will have a look tomorrow, see if I can find the wires and if they are connected. Thanks for the tip

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions