C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear end noise- C6

Old 10-16-2009, 10:43 AM
HaroldDE
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end noise- C6

I have a 2005 coupe with a six speed manual transmission. The car has 60,000 miles on it and I have a distinct rear end noise that tends to oscilate in intensity as the gears "load" and unload". This is most noticeable at highway speeds.

I actually had this same (or similar) problem right after I purcahsed the car. They replaced the rear end at 8,000 miles. Now It seems to be doing it again. This time no warranty coverage. Does anyone have any experience with this problem? Is this unique to early model C6's?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:45 PM
mfoti
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2 problems I know of from searches are 1. loose axle nuts and 2. differential fluid upgrade.

I also have the clunking in my 07 M6. I need to check the axle nuts. I want to replace the differential fluid myself. Here is the TSB for it.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...Noise+on+Turns

Last edited by mfoti; 10-16-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:01 PM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by HaroldDE
I have a 2005 coupe with a six speed manual transmission. The car has 60,000 miles on it and I have a distinct rear end noise that tends to oscilate in intensity as the gears "load" and unload". This is most noticeable at highway speeds.

I actually had this same (or similar) problem right after I purcahsed the car. They replaced the rear end at 8,000 miles. Now It seems to be doing it again. This time no warranty coverage. Does anyone have any experience with this problem? Is this unique to early model C6's?

Any help would be appreciated.
Well since you already know the problem, just get yourself a used 2008 rear end for about $600.00 and pay another $300.00 and slap it on and avoid the headache.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:01 PM
dblais
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Welcome to the Club

My 05 has 19K. I noticed the same sounds you describe. I changed the Diff fluid and used the Royal Purple. It already has the additive for the Posi. To be sure I added 4 Oz. of additive as well. No change in the Noise, I just learned to live with it. Seems most pronounced on the Highway in 6th gear around 70 MPH.

Get notified of new replies

To rear end noise- C6

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear end noise- C6