Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] New Record Times for Stock ZR1

Old 10-13-2009, 10:38 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Default New Record Times for Stock ZR1

OK straight to the point, new stock ZR1 best times. We believe these times may be the quickest recorded 1/4 mile ETs for any stock production car in avaliable in the US:

10.851 @ 129.89 mph 100% bone stock on factory tires, driven by racerns

10.730 @ 132.46 mph stock on drag radials, driven by Ranger (read below for story, time slips, and videos)

As some of you may remember, my father (ZO6Jeff) and I had the opportunity to attend a private drag rental, hosted by Ranger, last April in his bone stock 2009 ZR1. It was quite the learning experience and we came away with a stock tire best of 11.05 @ 129.1 mph (me) and drag radial best of 10.98 @ 131.8 mph (Ranger). This past Monday we had the opportunity to continue that learning experience at another rental at MIR arranged by Ranger. This was a small 6 car rental with all Corvettes (we had the only ZR1, and the others were all modified) in a laid back and friendly at atmosphere. My father and I made the 3 hr drive up that morning to arrive at 9:00am. The weather conditions were a little better than the April rental, with the temps on the mid 50s and good baro to give a DA of -350ft through most of the day (as measured track side). There was a moderate to light on-and-off head wind during the day. The track prep out to the 1/8 mile was great, and even though there was no sun to warm the track it stuck well.

We decided that we were going to first concentrate on running the ZR1 on the stock tires since I had come close to breaking into the 10s last time. I ran the car in sets of 2 or 3 passes and then we would cool the car for a while. On my first set of passes I bettered my previous 11.05 with an 11.03. On my second set of passes I broke into the tens with a 10.97 @ 128.35 mph and a 1.703 60’ time. I had the launch down but really needed to work on my shift points and speed. Then during my 3rd set of passes I had another 1.70 60’ and did my best shifting to date that produced the 10.85 @ 129.8 mph run.

----------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------
This video can be seen in full-screen HD by clicking the youtube logo.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------

After a few more passes that did not better the 10.85, we decided to put on Ranger’s 18” drag radials. It was closing in on 3 pm by this point. Ranger had not driven the car with the stock tires today but he was going to get first crack on the DRs since my driving experience with them is very limited. Ranger proved yet again that he is a driving machine by clicking off three 10.73xs passes in a row hot lapping the car. The best was his second pass of 10.730 @ 132.46 mph. I have also put up a copy of his last pass since it shows his best launch and 1/8 mile time (6.998), but the car fell a little short up top only finishing a 131.95 mph, most likely starting to see the effects of some heat soak after the previous two runs and a long day of running. I ran a few passes on the drag radials, never quite getting the launch, and turned a best of 10.95 @ 130.2 mph. Here is Rangers best.

----------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------
This video can be seen in full-screen HD by clicking the youtube logo.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------

Overall it was another great day at the track. The ZR1 performed flawlessly and is simply an amazing car. I also think there are still better times to be had. Even though my shifting is improving, I am pretty sure better shifting could have got another 1/10 with stock tires. I think we are just scratching the surface on drag radials. I am sure if Ranger had pulled the same launch as his last pass on his first pass, we would have seen 10.6s. I would like to thank Ranger for all the tips and putting the rental together and my father for letting me beat on his car. As for the rest of the cars, I will let the owners discuss their times but I will say that every car there made it into the 10s.

Last edited by racerns; 10-17-2009 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Videos Added
Old 10-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Make no mistake about it. The C6 ZR1 is a monster that has, so far, resoundingly eclipsed at the drag strip its stock Z06 stable-mate, the current Viper, and all similar production cars.

I made only three passes in the ZR1 at Monday’s rental. All three were 10.73. Traps were 132.46, 132.01, 131.95.

For comparison sake I made a couple passes in my stock C6Z on DRs. Two 10.95s. Traps were 126.05 (car not fully warmed up) and 127.85 (warmed up).

So apples to apples, the ZR1 was faster that the Z06 by about three car-lengths and 4.0-4.5 mph. That said, my Z06 driving is dial-in. Not the case in the ZR1.

Keep in mind, a driver must invest time to learn the personality quirks of the ZR1. As racerns points out in post #1, his and my driving remains works-in-progress. So quicker ETs and faster traps by these drivers in this ZR1 remain ahead this fall season as we internalize lessons-learned and leverage improving weather conditions.

Weather at this event was good but inferior to the super weather MIR experiences in fall.

After our ZR1-group’s first visit to the track in April, I reported
Originally Posted by Ranger
...suspect some owner will get a ZR1 into the 10.60s on DR and the 10.8s on stock tires....
Racerns has already accomplished the stock tire part. And 10.60s on DRs is a small drop from 10.73 and should come just with minor launch tweaks. Given that, I’ll speculate that this stock ZR1 will likely run low 10.70s on stock tires and high 10.50s on DRs. Stay tuned.

Finally, I want to thank Z06Jeff once again for the opportunity to drive his ZR1 on the track. Thanks too to racerns for the pleasure of witnessing him hammer out four 10-second stock-tire passes. He’s a natural driver who will continue to make proud the Corvette community far and wide.

Best to all.

Ranger

Admin note: I plan to upload two videos tomorrow.
Racerns’s 10.85 on stock tires and
Ranger’s 10.73 on drag radials.

Will place a marker post to the thread when the videos are edited into post #1.

Last edited by Ranger; 10-14-2009 at 01:38 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:39 PM
ZO6Jeff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just want to say I’m very proud of my son (racerns). His driving was excellent and I know he will keep on improving. The ZR1 is awesome and is definitely living up to its potential. The only credit I can take is that I taught him how to drive a stick on my 1990 ZR-1.

I also want to thank Ranger for again arranging for the track rental and for all the help he has given my son. I agree with my son that there is potential for even better performance.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:41 PM
ThePigWhisperer
Le Mans Master

Wow.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:52 PM
venomws7
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Now thats freaking awesome great driving and congrats ZR1 Is a mean machine for sure.

I can't wait to see some vids.
Have you ever dynoed the car??
Old 10-13-2009, 11:10 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by venomws7
Now thats freaking awesome great driving and congrats ZR1 Is a mean machine for sure.

I can't wait to see some vids.
Have you ever dynoed the car??
The videos should be up sometime tomorrow evening as Ranger is still converting them.
The car dynoed about the same as most ZR1s. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...o-numbers.html
Old 10-14-2009, 01:31 AM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

That's awesome guys

Old 10-14-2009, 03:30 AM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ZO6Jeff
I just want to say I’m very proud of my son (racerns). His driving was excellent and I know he will keep on improving. The ZR1 is awesome and is definitely living up to its potential. The only credit I can take is that I taught him how to drive a stick on my 1990 ZR-1.

I also want to thank Ranger for again arranging for the track rental and for all the help he has given my son. I agree with my son that there is potential for even better performance.

Congrats guys on some awesome times!!!

You should be proud!!! It sounds like you and your son do the whole car thing together. It's a great way to keep the father and son bond going. I do the same with my son and I know what your feeling.

That car has a tick or two more in it that's for sure.

Also good documentation of your runs. Can't wait to see the videos.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:31 AM
tomsws6
Burning Brakes

YES!!!! Congrats guys!
Old 10-14-2009, 04:56 AM
WayneCar
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Congratulations again on the passes. It was a lot of fun
just watching your car make passes. For a stock car that
daily drives so well to be able to turn into such a Beast
when asked is truely amazing. Have fun with her!
Wayne
Old 10-14-2009, 06:02 AM
zosix427
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow! great job Neil. you and ranger have proven that the Zr1 is the fastest 'stock' production car . wish i could have been there. I have a rental early november ,Atco
,hope to also run 10s. will keep you posted.

Gary
Old 10-14-2009, 07:07 AM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by racerns
OK straight to the point, new stock ZR1 best times. We believe these times may be the quickest recorded 1/4 mile ETs for any stock production car:

10.851 @ 129.89 mph 100% bone stock on factory tires, driven by racerns

10.730 @ 132.46 mph stock on drag radials, driven by Ranger (read below for story, time slips, and videos)

As some of you may remember, my father (ZO6Jeff) and I had the opportunity to attend a private drag rental, hosted by Ranger, last April in his bone stock 2009 ZR1. It was quite the learning experience and we came away with a stock tire best of 11.05 @ 129.1 mph (me) and drag radial best of 10.98 @ 131.8 mph (Ranger). This past Monday we had the opportunity to continue that learning experience at another rental at MIR arranged by Ranger. This was a small 6 car rental with all Corvettes (we had the only ZR1, and the others were all modified) in a laid back and friendly at atmosphere. My father and I made the 3 hr drive up that morning to arrive at 9:00am. The weather conditions were a little better than the April rental, with the temps on the mid 50s and good baro to give a DA of -350ft through most of the day (as measured track side). There was a moderate to light on-and-off head wind during the day. The track prep out to the 1/8 mile was great, and even though there was no sun to warm the track it stuck well.

We decided that we were going to first concentrate on running the ZR1 on the stock tires since I had come close to breaking into the 10s last time. I ran the car in sets of 2 or 3 passes and then we would cool the car for a while. On my first set of passes I bettered my previous 11.05 with an 11.03. On my second set of passes I broke into the tens with a 10.97 @ 128.35 mph and a 1.703 60’ time. I had the launch down but really needed to work on my shift points and speed. Then during my 3rd set of passes I had another 1.70 60’ and did my best shifting to date that produced the 10.85 @ 129.8 mph run.

HD Videos to be added soon

After a few more passes that did not better the 10.85, we decided to put on Ranger’s 18” drag radials. It was closing in on 3 pm by this point. Ranger had not driven the car with the stock tires today but he was going to get first crack on the DRs since my driving experience with them is very limited. Ranger proved yet again that he is a driving machine by clicking off three 10.73xs passes in a row hot lapping the car. The best was his second pass of 10.730 @ 132.46 mph. I have also put up a copy of his last pass since it shows his best launch and 1/8 mile time (6.998), but the car fell a little short up top only finishing a 131.95 mph, most likely starting to see the effects of some heat soak after the previous two runs and a long day of running. I ran a few passes on the drag radials, never quite getting the launch, and turned a best of 10.95 @ 130.2 mph. Here is Rangers best.

HD Videos to be added soon

Overall it was another great day at the track. The ZR1 performed flawlessly and is simply an amazing car. I also think there are still better times to be had. Even though my shifting is improving, I am pretty sure better shifting could have got another 1/10 with stock tires. I think we are just scratching the surface on drag radials. I am sure if Ranger had pulled the same launch as his last pass on his first pass, we would have seen 10.6s. I would like to thank Ranger for all the tips and putting the rental together and my father for letting me beat on his car. As for the rest of the cars, I will let the owners discuss their times but I will say that every car there made it into the 10s.
Congrats Racerns! Thats an awesome time and I know first hand what it takes to run that time and its awesome driving! Great Job! Same to you John! Great Job! 10.8 on stock tires is awesome as is 10.7 on drag radials. I am glad to see some stout numbers run by a ZR1!
I am also pretty positive those are the fastest and quickest factory production runs ever for an american car!
Also Racerns I have to say that 1.70 short time on stock tires is amazing!

Last edited by jamie furman; 10-14-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:08 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by zosix427
Wow! great job Neil. you and ranger have proven that the Zr1 is the fastest 'stock' production car . wish i could have been there. I have a rental early november ,Atco
,hope to also run 10s. will keep you posted.

Gary
Was a short-notice event Gary. You were missed at this one. Good luck at Atco.

Racerns put on quite a show.

Ranger
Old 10-14-2009, 07:29 AM
breakskeet
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 145 Posts

Thank you ranger and racerns for all your hard work!

Now I never have to hear some idiot spout off about how a stock ZR1 has never beat a stock Z06, blah, blah, blah, etc.

You have silenced the ignorant!!!! However, I'm sure that they will come up with some other flaw that they can beat their chest about......

cheers!
Old 10-14-2009, 07:31 AM
GTPprix
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow Congrats! Ranger I think I need to have you run mine when I get it, I dont have that good of a driver mod right now
Old 10-14-2009, 07:46 AM
buckloc
Heel & Toe

Default Drag tires

Originally Posted by jamie furman
Congrats Racerns! Thats an awesome time and I know first hand what it takes to run that time and its awesome driving! Great Job! Same to you John! Great Job! 10.8 on stock tires is awesome as is 10.7 on drag radials. I am glad to see some stout numbers run by a ZR1!
I am also pretty positive those are the fastest and quickest factory production runs ever for an american car!
Also Racerns I have to say that 1.70 short time on stock tires is amazing!
Drag tires, what brand, what size and what rims????
Old 10-14-2009, 07:55 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by buckloc
Drag tires, what brand, what size and what rims????
You can run any of the 18" drag radials.

I've mounted CCW Corsair Race wheels (only come in 18") on the ZR1 and the fit is tight but sufficient to clear the 15" rotors. I've not tested wheel alternatives to the Corsairs, since I already had a pair of them for my Z06.

If you order Corsairs, be sure to tell John or Chip at CCW that the wheels are for the rear of a ZR1. That will ensure correct offset/back-spacing.

When changing tires, take care to mount the blue booties over the C/C rotors, to avoid an expensive, hard lesson-learned.

In an abundance of caution, we have been using two pairs of hands to maneuver the wheel on and off the hub.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 10-14-2009 at 08:00 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To New Record Times for Stock ZR1

Old 10-14-2009, 08:05 AM
buckloc
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Ranger
You can run any of the 18" drag radials.

I've mounted CCW Corsair Race wheels (only come in 18") on the ZR1 and the fit is tight but sufficient to clear the 15" rotors. I've not tested wheel alternatives to the Corsairs, since I already had a pair of them for my Z06.

If you order Corsairs, be sure to tell John or Chip at CCW that the wheels are for the rear of a ZR1. That will ensure correct offset/back-spacing.

When changing tires, take care to mount the blue booties over the C/C rotors, to avoid an expensive, hard lesson-learned.

In an abundance of caution, we have been using two pairs of hands to maneuver the wheel on and off the hub.

Ranger
I am getting a 2010 Z06 and was looking for a drag radial and rim set up. Will the same work for the Z06 or do you have some suggestions??

Lou
Old 10-14-2009, 08:07 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Neil.............just a matter of time!
That F body feels lonely now.................
Old 10-14-2009, 09:14 AM
walterm32
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice!! Its about time we saw the 10's for the zr1. There's still more in it though. Now that heat soak isn't as big of a limiting factor with the cool air here I knew it was only a matter of time. I think we'll see a 10.7x by someone bone stock before the year is out. Good job Racerns

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ZR1] New Record Times for Stock ZR1