C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car lifts in garage

Old 08-10-2009, 04:59 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Default car lifts in garage

can someone explain or show pics. of a lift for storage purposes.I'm wondering how the garage door opens with the lift in place.Thinking of adding a G.S vert but dont have room and dont wanna sell what I got. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 160 Posts

I order to have a storage lift in the garage, you need at least three requirements:

1) Enought height in the garage to handle the height of both cars and the lift. Most lift sites have a list of the calculation.

2) You need to "retrack" the garage doors so that they hug the ceiling of the garage.

3) You might need to go from a center lift garage door opener (typical sears-type mounted in the center of the ceiling) to a "jack shaft" garage door opener which runs off of the lift springs just above the closed garage door opener. It turns the pulley via a gear, rather than pulling up the garage door from the center. Check Liftmaster site for an example.

My .02. Email me if you have any questions.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Duke/Earl
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One lift, two Vettes. The garage door track had to be raised.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:15 PM
LMBZ4ME
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic-Chevy-Guy
I order to have a storage lift in the garage, you need at least three requirements:

1) Enought height in the garage to handle the height of both cars and the lift. Most lift sites have a list of the calculation.

2) You need to "retrack" the garage doors so that they hug the ceiling of the garage.

3) You might need to go from a center lift garage door opener (typical sears-type mounted in the center of the ceiling) to a "jack shaft" garage door opener which runs off of the lift springs just above the closed garage door opener. It turns the pulley via a gear, rather than pulling up the garage door from the center. Check Liftmaster site for an example.

My .02. Email me if you have any questions.

Rule of thumb is the height of the 2 cars + 4 inches for the lift ramps + 4 inches to get the lift off the locks. I have 2 vettes stacked and my garage ceiling height is just under 10ft.

I had my garage door rails raised. Cost was about $300 by a garage door company.

I also went with the side mount garage door opener, jack shaft style for added height.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:51 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

O.K.I have plenty of height so thinks look promising.Can you suggest a manufacturer?
Old 08-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 160 Posts

I think that it depends how much you want to spend.

Most of the Chinese Storage Lifts are in the $1600-1800 range ( I have one from Greg Smith equipment, but there are many sales, and postings on the Auction Site), You should look into the options like wheels, jack trays, and drip trays),

I believe that the next step up is in the high 2000 to the low 3000 range, but these are more substantial.

I would search for 4 post lifts on the Forums(C6, C5, and others) and you will find many opinions.

Best of luck,
Old 08-11-2009, 12:49 AM
jsbwac
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I looked at all the lifts when I was shopping including the cheap ones. I ended up with a backyard buddy based upon how it is built and how safe it is. I could have bought 2 or 3 of the cheap ones for the price of the backyard buddy, but I was trapped under a car once, and that was enough to make me want to spend the money on a good lift.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Wah
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to cut out the garage ceiling for the hood to clear. Garage door opens only partially to clear the front bumper. Mine is Pro Park 8S from GSE.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:59 PM
MechaMunch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsbwac
I looked at all the lifts when I was shopping including the cheap ones. I ended up with a backyard buddy based upon how it is built and how safe it is. I could have bought 2 or 3 of the cheap ones for the price of the backyard buddy, but I was trapped under a car once, and that was enough to make me want to spend the money on a good lift.
Just curious, since BYB lifts aren't certified, what are the safety features that makes it worth the price hike?
Old 10-06-2009, 02:09 PM
gsport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rob62
O.K.I have plenty of height so thinks look promising.Can you suggest a manufacturer?
i have a dannmar four post lift and i'm totally happy with it... check out costco.com and in the search box type in "dannmar" the great thing about costco is the free shipping and it says in the ad if you aren't happy with it you can return it to any costco warehouse..
Old 10-06-2009, 02:35 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I have two of the All American Lifts. They are the same design as the Backyard Buddy. Checkout the design of the locks. When locked, the dog is fully trapped within the post on the All American Lift and the Backyard Buddy.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:26 PM
IndyPacer
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MechaMunch
Just curious, since BYB lifts aren't certified, what are the safety features that makes it worth the price hike?
I've got two 4 post lifts, the first i bought 6 years ago was an Autolifter M6. It was a good american made lift with all the good heavy locking mechanisms and I paid $2200 for it. The second one I just bought from BYB and it has the same quality, probably better than the first but it was $4200. Six years and the increased price of steel were the difference. I would not get under a Chinise lift for all the tea in China! I would recommend the BYB but you pay for quality and piece of mind. Go to their website, they have an excellent vidio on comparing theirs to one of the Chinese lifts.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:28 PM
IndyPacer
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Forgot, Autolifters is out of business that is why I bought BYB
Old 10-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Shortimer
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I helped a friend setup and install two Eagle 4-post lifts. They work well and the money was right. At the time of purchase the vendor ran a special and the S&H was free!
Old 10-06-2009, 06:12 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyPacer
Forgot, Autolifters is out of business that is why I bought BYB
Autolifters is out of business but some of their employees bought it and renamed it All American Lifts. www.allamericanlifts.com
Old 10-06-2009, 08:43 PM
PAVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jsbwac
I concur with this post and post number 2.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:03 PM
lh4x4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The lift is in the back part of the garage and the door is not a factor. I had a 22' X 22' original garage and I took the rear wall out and had a 33' X 33' addition put on. Two lifts now with the third and final lift ordered.

The third lift will go between the two. I must get rid of nine bicycles in my collection to make room.

Get notified of new replies

To car lifts in garage

Old 10-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Mark VerMurlen
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a Backyard Buddy lift in my garage. I really like it. Here' are a couple of pictures.

- Mark
Old 10-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Greg G
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Here is a link to the write up I did on my install. It shows the door modifications and all. I purchased a direct lift from Greg Smith Equipment. Quite satisfied with my purchase. No need tospent $4k for some of the other lifts. Go look at them and you will see that they are built well.

http://www.keystonestatecorvetteclub...rking_Lift.htm
Old 10-07-2009, 01:00 AM
ToRedVettes
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I have a BendPak that I am very satisfied with. The safety features and exact size to fit my garage space sold me. BendPak is also tested and approved by the American Lift Institute. Check it out.
http://www.bendpak.com/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: car lifts in garage