Sponsored by:

[Z06] ZO6 Died.. The saga continues!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 01:54 PM
jpandes
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by slvrzo6
Gosh! If you lived closer to me, I do them all for you on a Saturday. If you mowed my lawn on my riding mower and bought me a six pack.
You have a riding mower. I'm jealous!
Old 09-11-2009, 02:04 PM
blazer427X3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 02 Z had a valve spring problem at approx 36,000 miles before I bought it. The previous owner had two broken springs replaced during the warranty period . Much like your case, the dealership was only authorized to replace the broken springs and they inspected the others. He didn't like the idea of the other bad springs staying on his car so he chose to drive the car that way until the warranty was up and then replace the heads with a nice aftermarket set for added performance and peace of mind.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:02 PM
DIYdreamcar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jpandes
You have a riding mower. I'm jealous!
I'll let you borrow mine!! Just drive your vette here and I'll let you drive my mower back

-Ed
Old 09-11-2009, 10:09 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by steveovette
Ok what do you think would be fair for me as a tech to replace your valve spring? Keep in mind I have 20 years experience/training and at least $40,000 in tools. Just curious as what all you guys think I should make on this kind of work.
Originally Posted by Popclutch
Ok, good point. But heres the deal. I'm a retired aircraft mechanic with probably just as much invested in tools as you and have a total of 26 years working on aircraft. The fact you have invested $40,000 in tools was on your own volition to make a living. Thats the cost of doing business and having the right tool for the right job. Trying to make a living off of one JOB THOUGH?? Come on. Your tools are an investment so that you CAN make a living for 20 years or more.Replacing a valve spring isn't exactly what I call rocket science. Theres alot to be said for 20 years experience and putting a price on that is difficult at best. Lets put it this way, I having the car returned to my house and I will pay the $300 I have already been charged for the "diagnostics" (which I believe it was worth to KNOW what is wrong) but I'm not going to fund someones college savings over one valve spring.I would like to know what the GM flat rate book says this job should cost. For $800 bucks ALL the springs should be replaced and maybe a dinner at a really nice restaurant. Times are tough for pretty much everyone I know, but I just found this price to be ridiculous.
My car,My problem, My opinion.
Here is what I normally charge to replace ALL the valve springs.... less than $300 plus parts. Most shops use a flat rate manual, even at that it is still considered a guide. The GM labor guide states 5 hours to replace every spring in a LS7. As mentioned above I charge 300 to do the job, which is way less than the prescribed GM alloted labor guide time. The reason, is because with a proper tool I can do the job charge that amount and still save the customer money, that way I am happy and so is my customer. Just because the guide says it pays 5 hours, you do it in 2 hours, is it right to charge someone for 5. Beleive it or not most shops do just that. For me a clear conscience and a happy customer is worth more to me than than a few more dollars.

BTW I probably have well over $150k worth of tools and equipment in my shop.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:13 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm at 30K now... You're all scaring me! Now I'm thinking I should change the springs on my 02 before something bad happens!
Old 09-12-2009, 12:09 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I'm at 30K now... You're all scaring me! Now I'm thinking I should change the springs on my 02 before something bad happens!
It is a rare occasion that a spring will break. I have many customers with 90k + miles on their cars with stock springs. I wouldn't be worried.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by steveovette View Post
Ok what do you think would be fair for me as a tech to replace your valve spring? Keep in mind I have 20 years experience/training and at least $40,000 in tools. Just curious as what all you guys think I should make on this kind of work.

Originally Posted by Popclutch
Ok, good point. But heres the deal. I'm a retired aircraft mechanic with probably just as much invested in tools as you and have a total of 26 years working on aircraft. The fact you have invested $40,000 in tools was on your own volition to make a living. Thats the cost of doing business and having the right tool for the right job. Trying to make a living off of one JOB THOUGH?? Come on. Your tools are an investment so that you CAN make a living for 20 years or more.Replacing a valve spring isn't exactly what I call rocket science. Theres alot to be said for 20 years experience and putting a price on that is difficult at best. Lets put it this way, I having the car returned to my house and I will pay the $300 I have already been charged for the "diagnostics" (which I believe it was worth to KNOW what is wrong) but I'm not going to fund someones college savings over one valve spring.I would like to know what the GM flat rate book says this job should cost. For $800 bucks ALL the springs should be replaced and maybe a dinner at a really nice restaurant. Times are tough for pretty much everyone I know, but I just found this price to be ridiculous.
My car,My problem, My opinion.

I understand what Steveo is saying but I agree pop.
You cant charge people for tools or having the right tool, you cant charge people because you have been doing it for 20+ years and like pop said, you cant make a living off on job.

Now steve has a point too though; I have a IT consulting business and people think because it dosent say Dell or HP or Microsoft that I should
only charge $20 an hour or that what any big name compnay does I should do for far less money. It dosent work that way, I may know how to solve your problem in 20 min but I still bill you for 1 hour, it wouldnt be worth my time to come out to your business or residence knowing that I will solve your problem in 20min or that you were only expected to pay for 1/2 hour of service yet some people do. They carry the "you're not making a living off me" too far.

The tools you bought, were to help you have the right tool for the job and decrease the time spent on the job which increases your profits.
You dont need snap ring pliers to put snap rings in but they sure speed up the process which gets the job done quicker. Be reasonable on what you charge people and you will get a repeat customer.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:35 PM
0Mike@NorrisMotorsports
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11

Thanks danzinger

I have had a couple C5 Z06's with a broken stock valve spring. To replace the set with GM stock replacements is generally $350-400 if I remember correctly.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Mike Norris
Old 09-12-2009, 10:59 PM
slong
Melting Slicks

Springs are not that hard to change. Plenty of on-line help out there. Now I have no room to talk. I was lazy and took my car to A&A because I have a couple friends with the same year Z who broke springs and exploded there motors. Because I was having power adders added, I had Andy install Patriot dual springs. Cost was $500 with complete parts kit. Little bit of a deal because I spent so much $$$ on the complete job done by Andy so prices may very everywhere.........
Old 09-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Popclutch
Pro

Originally Posted by Z06_BluByU
Brad,
did the car come with any modifications?!?! different intake, air cleaner, tune or anything?!? or is it bone stock? Also if you look at the sticker in the door jamb of the drivers door it will tell you the manufacture date.. if you could post that up it be helpful also!! Thanks!
The car is currently at the dealership taking up space. I have no idea what the build date is though. The only mods have been a K&N intake and a Borla exhaust. That's it. The more I read the more I get disgusted with the local dealer and not to mention their name but as a "Courtesy" again I think for this cost I should get a night out with the wife on them!!
Thanks,
Brad.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:28 PM
Popclutch
Pro

Originally Posted by danziger
You could take it to Mike Norris (Norris Motorsports?). He is local to you and does some nice work...
Going to check with Mike Norris on Monday. I'm also going to try to find the procedure for changing them out. A friend of mine says he has a spring compressor.
Thanks!
Pop.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Popclutch
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike@NorrisMotorsports
Thanks danzinger

I have had a couple C5 Z06's with a broken stock valve spring. To replace the set with GM stock replacements is generally $350-400 if I remember correctly.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Mike Norris
Hey Mike, just fired off an e-mail to you from your website then came back to the forum and saw your post! Look forward to meeting you!
Pop.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:15 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tjwong
It is a rare occasion that a spring will break. I have many customers with 90k + miles on their cars with stock springs. I wouldn't be worried.
AWESOME! Thanks. That's been on my mind all day. I even told my friend I needed to borrow his spring compressor.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:55 PM
Popclutch
Pro

Default ZO6 Died... The Final Chapter!

Originally Posted by danziger
You could take it to Mike Norris (Norris Motorsports?). He is local to you and does some nice work...
The final chapter....
After much aggravation and irritation, I pulled the Z out of the local dealership and had it taken to Mike Norris of Norris Motorsports Winter Garden,Florida. First off, Mike is an incredibly nice guy with Corvette knowledge beyond belief! Having heard of, but having never met Mike I was EXTREMELY impressed with his level of professionalism, courtesy and respect that he demonstrated over the phone only to be surpassed when we met face to face. This is a FIRST CLASS business man and I would with ALL sincerity HIGHLY recommend anyone who owns a Vette to do business with him.
Not only did Mike replace ALL of the valve springs FOR LESS money than the dealership, he did it in less than 24 hours!
I am NOT easily impressed by anyone or anything, but I have to say Mike Norris went way beyond my expectations!!
My THANKS to Mike and wish him continued success!!
Brad...aka Popclutch
Old 09-17-2009, 01:13 PM
TK6
Advanced

Glad to hear you are back on the road and you found a good guy to help you out anytime your Z needs some TLC.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Popclutch
Pro

BTW.... Just as a footnote to this saga, when the valve covers were removed at the dealership and they discovered the broken spring, they pointed it out to me, yep it was indeed broken. But, I also noticed that the #2 cylinder had already had one replaced and they hadn't noticed that one. Hmmmmm... a continuing problem maybe?? NEVER will this dealership see me again. The service writer has lost me as a customer for good. As he stated, they have lights to keep on. So do I. End of story, and THANKS to ALL on the forum, and Mike Norris for your input and support!!
Pop.

Quick Reply: [Z06] ZO6 Died.. The saga continues!!