Sponsored by:

Split Window in 2013?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:45 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Default Split Window in 2013?

I have seen the Transformer C7 model all over the place. OK now the question is, will GM/Chevrolet be BOLD enough to build a 1 year split window to commemerate the 1963 Model? Is there ANYBODY in GM/Chevrolet that has the ***** of Billy Mitchell to go ahead a STYLE a car first and think of function second.

What are your thoughts?

Being partial...

Here is what I drive...oh yeah for the record the split window does not bother me at all, missing the right side door mirror does. Many people say it cuts visibility, I wonder how many of these people OWN or even drove a 63 Coupe.... Besides when you drive a 63 you never look back

Last edited by 1KULC7; 08-13-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:43 PM
02MillenniumVette
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The StingRay concept is not the C7, its just a concept. If it wasnt for Zora, all of the C2's would of had the split window. There was a reason that Zora didnt want it on there in the first place but he let Mitchell have it on there one year, so I doubt GM is going to add the split window back on it. I could be wrong but I dont see it happening.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:41 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 02MillenniumVette
The StingRay concept is not the C7, its just a concept. If it wasnt for Zora, all of the C2's would of had the split window. There was a reason that Zora didnt want it on there in the first place but he let Mitchell have it on there one year, so I doubt GM is going to add the split window back on it. I could be wrong but I dont see it happening.

I don't disagree with your comments about Zora, but this is more to the story.....During his late years, Zora did admit that having the Spit Window design for one year made the "Stingray" and worldwide icon for the Corvette. Zora also admitted his entire reason for doing away with the split was because of the racing of the GS models that he put on the track. How do I know this, because I heard him say this at Carlise many years ago, and I have talk to Larry Shinoda (sp), who said the same exact thing...both Larry and Zora consider the 63 Coupe the ICON of the Stingray (63-67) model year.

Split Windows are not new, old 38 Dodges had them, VW had them and the a 1955 Italian Sports car (cannot recall the name) the 63 Corvette Coupe was modelled after was one of the most famous. Including many more European Models.....

Many intense and loud "discussions" were held in Mitchell's office specifically about the 63, and you are right, it was a settlement between Zora and Bill that lead to the one you production of the split window.

However, my point is this....to COMMEMERATE the STINGRAY model will the 2013 have a split window...neverminde the Transformer Car, this is not even considered... I HOPE that Cheverolet understands its roots and was really made the STINGRAY the icon it is today... I would love to see the split window for one year... I think it would be HIGHLY successful.....
Old 08-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

The 1963 coupe is one of the most wickedly-handsome cars ever built...

...but if C7 has a hatchback-like rear glass (e.g. from 1978 on), a split window would look awful.

A rear profile more like the Sting Ray, well, that's a different story.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:18 PM
02MillenniumVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by EBVette
I don't disagree with your comments about Zora, but this is more to the story.....During his late years, Zora did admit that having the Spit Window design for one year made the "Stingray" and worldwide icon for the Corvette. Zora also admitted his entire reason for doing away with the split was because of the racing of the GS models that he put on the track. How do I know this, because I heard him say this at Carlise many years ago, and I have talk to Larry Shinoda (sp), who said the same exact thing...both Larry and Zora consider the 63 Coupe the ICON of the Stingray (63-67) model year.

Split Windows are not new, old 38 Dodges had them, VW had them and the a 1955 Italian Sports car (cannot recall the name) the 63 Corvette Coupe was modelled after was one of the most famous. Including many more European Models.....

Many intense and loud "discussions" were held in Mitchell's office specifically about the 63, and you are right, it was a settlement between Zora and Bill that lead to the one you production of the split window.

However, my point is this....to COMMEMERATE the STINGRAY model will the 2013 have a split window...neverminde the Transformer Car, this is not even considered... I HOPE that Cheverolet understands its roots and was really made the STINGRAY the icon it is today... I would love to see the split window for one year... I think it would be HIGHLY successful.....
Old 08-14-2009, 03:45 PM
marinehacker202
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jinx
The 1963 coupe is one of the most wickedly-handsome cars ever built...

...but if C7 has a hatchback-like rear glass (e.g. from 1978 on), a split window would look awful.

A rear profile more like the Sting Ray, well, that's a different story.
Yeah, I agree, I can't imagine how GM would pull off the styling on the C6, so the C7 would have to change dramatically to be able to sport a split window. And if we are talking about only a one year run for that split window, I'm afraid we'll probably never see it. I can't see GM changing the look of the modern Vette so much just so they can have that one year run
Old 08-14-2009, 03:53 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by marinehacker202
Yeah, I agree, I can't imagine how GM would pull off the styling on the C6, so the C7 would have to change dramatically to be able to sport a split window. And if we are talking about only a one year run for that split window, I'm afraid we'll probably never see it. I can't see GM changing the look of the modern Vette so much just so they can have that one year run

This is not a hatchback...and I see real no difficulties in the structure of making a change to full glass after one year. The spine is not load bearing. The back of the car will have to be changed to meet DMV state regulations for rear light visibilities etc, besides the back is not practicle for everyday use. I can see this change to a flater back with rear bumper protection, but this post focuses on the split window....look close at the STING RAY emblem on the rear upper panel.

Last edited by 1KULC7; 08-14-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:04 PM
marinehacker202
Racer

not to mention the concept in that picture is.. almost scary.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:22 PM
LIVetteFan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I for one would love it. It works on the concept very well. However there is zero chance the C7 will have one. Reaward visibility is already marginal in the C6 - even a smaller split would still basically remove all reward visibility execpt the side mirrors - no way the lawyers will let it happen.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:44 AM
bizaro
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

We will never see the split window again.too many regulations and law suit happy ****'s.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by bizaro
We will never see the split window again.too many regulations and law suit happy ****'s.
I don't think there's any regulation requiring view through a rear window. As I understand it, if you have a right-side rear-view mirror, you don't need ANY visibility out a back window.

As for lawsuit happy ****'s, they're going to sue anyway.

But I bet GM has some standard for rearward visibility that a good split-window design would likely violate. And in general I think they're trying to build a high-performance car without such severe compromises to everyday usability.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:47 PM
ls2kev
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Split window would **** me off when I look in my mirror. Make it an option, not a standard feature...
Old 08-17-2009, 07:38 AM
Elephanthead
Racer

Why not make the rear view mirror an lcd with a high resolution camera. Incorporate it with a dvr security system so you can record the ahole keying your new vette. I like it, then you don't even need a rear window, which by the way is not a required item in a vehicle according to DOT.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:48 AM
eldoradocanyon
3rd Gear

I'm not saying it's not sharp looking...
I'm just curious as to how you open the hatch???

If you built the split, your choices would be a) purely cosmetic; b) twin side hatches, anyone?; c) FRC with trunk; d) skip the storage space and bring back the 36 gallon rolling gas tank.

I vote for FRC with trunk--63 commemorative edition Z06!!!!!
Old 08-31-2009, 07:21 PM
humvet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is not a hatchback...and I see real no difficulties in the structure of making a change to full glass after one year. The spine is not load bearing. The back of the car will have to be changed to meet DMV state regulations for rear light visibilities etc, besides the back is not practicle for everyday use. I can see this change to a flater back with rear bumper protection, but this post focuses on the split window....look close at the STING RAY emblem on the rear upper panel.
Mr Roboto's car.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:12 AM
02MillenniumVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by eldoradocanyon
I'm not saying it's not sharp looking...
I'm just curious as to how you open the hatch???

If you built the split, your choices would be a) purely cosmetic; b) twin side hatches, anyone?; c) FRC with trunk; d) skip the storage space and bring back the 36 gallon rolling gas tank.

I vote for FRC with trunk--63 commemorative edition Z06!!!!!
There wasnt a hatch on the C2's and there is not a hatch on the StingRay concept either. So more than likely there will not be a split window on the C7. I doubt GM is going to make another FRC like they did on the C5. If they were then there would of been a C6 FRC.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:36 PM
C6roadster
Burning Brakes

Default Hot, hot, hot!!!

THAT, GENTLEMEN, IS THE FUTURE OF CORVETTE. IF ANYONE CAN'T SEE IT, YOUR HEAD IS WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE!

Get notified of new replies

To Split Window in 2013?

Old 09-10-2009, 08:04 AM
02MillenniumVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by C6roadster
THAT, GENTLEMEN, IS THE FUTURE OF CORVETTE. IF ANYONE CAN'T SEE IT, YOUR HEAD IS WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE!

Old 09-15-2009, 07:15 PM
vette4jr
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by bizaro

We should never, ever see a split window AGAIN.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:40 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good god that would be horrible. The split window was a bad idea from the get go. Now with current technology, there'd NEVER be a reason to do it. Ever. Why would you obstruct your view on purpose?! LOL

Split window FTL!

Quick Reply: Split Window in 2013?