C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disassemble alternator

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 04:47 PM
ssmith512
Melting Slicks

Received 849 Likes on 443 Posts

Default Disassemble alternator

Since my Z is down waiting for it's new motor, I am wanting to dress up the engine bay a bit and was thinking about painting the alternator. Is it difficult to split the case and remove the armature so I can paint the case and then reassemble? I want to clean the case first obviously and dont want to saturate the alternator with cleaner and water. Hence the reason I want to disassemble the alternator. Any advice would be appreciated. Dont want to go diving in, get it half way apart and then go - oh crap this aint going back together. LOL!

Thanks in advance!

Steve
Old 08-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

It's been a while sence I have taken one apart but I believe the hards part is getting the pulley off and back on when done without damaging anything. The rotor has two electrical brushes that are spring loaded. There is a hole in the rear case for a paper-clip wire to be used to hold the brushes in place while putting it back together.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Fast one
Safety Car

Received 348 Likes on 220 Posts

If I remember right the stator wires need to be unsoldered and that requires a soldering gun not a low wattage iron, too much heat too long will ruin the electronics. The pulley design uses an allen wrench in the center of the shaft and a ground down box wrench or open top socket wrench on the nut. If you can't remove the pulley nut then just degrease with a rag and solvent then paint as assembled. I sanded and polished mine and painted the stator laminations so it had to be taken apart, except for the above it is similar in construction to older alternators.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:14 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmith512
Since my Z is down waiting for it's new motor, I am wanting to dress up the engine bay a bit and was thinking about painting the alternator. Is it difficult to split the case and remove the armature so I can paint the case and then reassemble? I want to clean the case first obviously and dont want to saturate the alternator with cleaner and water. Hence the reason I want to disassemble the alternator. Any advice would be appreciated. Dont want to go diving in, get it half way apart and then go - oh crap this aint going back together. LOL!

Thanks in advance!

Steve
Do a search. There is a really nice thread documenting this out there.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:18 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...cs-inside.html
Old 08-27-2009, 12:32 PM
ssmith512
Melting Slicks

Received 849 Likes on 443 Posts

Thanks friends!

Search is good for future use - duly noted.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:41 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmith512
Thanks friends!

Search is good for future use - duly noted.
Since your in Indy, I just had an alternator rebuilt at Stan's Auto Electric. Their at 5115 E 30th St. Call 545-8537 and ask for Charles he'll pull it apart for you. You can do what you want to the case and then he'll re-assemble it for you and test it. I had a S-10 alternator powder coated. Mine had the soldered coil in and I didn't want to mess it up. In testing I found out the coil had been over heated and it was giving readings all over the map. Looks super now.

Last edited by 87bob; 08-27-2009 at 09:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Disassemble alternator

Quick Reply: Disassemble alternator