Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

SPI Paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:43 AM
SHOT-GLAS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPI Paint

I'm able to purchase some SPI paint at $70.00 a gallon. has anyone used this paint? is it any good? and do you have any sugestions for applying this paint? I will be putting it over SPI epoxy and most likely will be clearing it with SPI as well. last question I put on a white epoxy should I spray it with grey if i decied to change my base color to black or will the black cover the white?
Old 08-25-2009, 11:00 AM
maddoggyusa
Intermediate

The SPI paint is supposed to be great stuff. I know Porchdog said he bought up some of the last gallons in red and orange... lucky sob!!

Barry did something really interesting about primer colors. He took a 3'x3' square panel... primed it in 4 colors... black, white, and 2 shades of gray. Then he painted it with SPI Red. By the 2nd coat you couldn't tell a difference. He put on a total of 3 coats and there was no color differences whatsover. He was basically showing you don't need white primer for red. Maybe you save on paint somewhat, but it can't be much.

Not sure if the same is true for black and white... but probably so. For chips, obviously the same color primer won't look as bad.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:24 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

there is not one thing barry makes that i dont like. i still use white under red or orange type colors. if you are a little light somewhere the white wont tell on you and i think it helps make it a little brighter outside. if it's dark it will show every time. chips are not a big problem with spi as it stays flexible . the harder the clear the bigger the chip. if your going black start with black.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:45 AM
SHOT-GLAS
Intermediate

Default Thanks

I'll probably keep looking for the red paint so I dont have to change the Epoxy. I didn't think about the possible chips.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:28 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SHOT-GLAS
I'll probably keep looking for the red paint so I dont have to change the Epoxy. I didn't think about the possible chips.
I think if you check with Porchdog you will find that he uses SPI Epoxy, PPG Base and SPI Clear.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:54 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

how thick your primer is, what kind of primer , type of color and clear determine what to expect in chips.
spi epoxy........... stays flexible
ppg concept ss.......stays somewhat flexible
spi universal clear......stays flexible

since most of my work is on c1 or c2 corvettes i need a flexible surface. i'm not looking for rock hard in a finish.
do yourself a favor. sand all the front surface as much as possible. keeping in mind the thicker the fill the larger the chip. i block down to glass each time until the sealer coat of epoxy. hope this makes sense

Get notified of new replies

To SPI Paint

Quick Reply: SPI Paint