C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Carpet Glue

Old 08-20-2009, 12:36 PM
dsmithh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carpet Glue

For anyone who has had to work on a piece of trim, to which carpet is glued down on, I'm sure you will agree that removing the old glue from the trim is quite a task. Well, now that that is done, I will need to replace that glue so as to reattach the carpet. Does anyone know what kind of glue that is?
Old 08-20-2009, 01:39 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

3M Carpet Adhesive

AKA: Carpet Glue
Old 08-20-2009, 06:11 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX
3M Carpet Adhesive

AKA: Carpet Glue
Advance Auto has it for about $9.00 a can...WW
Old 08-22-2009, 02:35 PM
josephf31
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default The

Originally Posted by dsmithh
For anyone who has had to work on a piece of trim, to which carpet is glued down on, I'm sure you will agree that removing the old glue from the trim is quite a task. Well, now that that is done, I will need to replace that glue so as to reattach the carpet. Does anyone know what kind of glue that is?
regular 3M spray adhesive works very well
Old 08-22-2009, 05:33 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I use 3M Super 77 multi-purpose adhesive which is very good. It's a lot stronger than the regular 3M adhesive.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:01 PM
klkordzi
Instructor

I used the 3M adhesive in the green can. I believe it was High Strength 90. I sprayed both the carpet backing and the plastic part the carpet would mate to. Then I let them set up a few minutes until they got tacky and ten installed the carpet piece. Make sure you have things aligned cause it will be very hard to get them back apart.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:59 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wouldn't that stuff make a mess if you are spraying it in the car? The one place I know I'll need to reglue is the tranny tunnel carpet that glues down to the floorboard carpet. what else gets glue? I'll be pulling the carpet to install sound deadner, and to steam clean the carpet.

I would be putting the glue on after the carpet is installed, so I think using a spray would mist glue all over the place.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:31 AM
jon0108
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used the 3m hi strength 90 also. It is manageable to spray in the car. Just take your time.Make sure you glue both sides wait a few minutes then attach. The trans tunnel and knee bolsters are the parts that need to be glued
Old 08-23-2009, 06:50 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jon0108
I used the 3m hi strength 90 also. It is manageable to spray in the car. Just take your time.Make sure you glue both sides wait a few minutes then attach. The trans tunnel and knee bolsters are the parts that need to be glued
What is the knee bolters? The carpet on the dash below the steering wheel? I don't plan on pulling that off.

I know the front tranny tunnel carpet gets glued to the floorboard carpet. But does the carpet beside the seat get glued to the console? Or is all of that just bolted or pressed into place?
Old 08-23-2009, 07:36 PM
jon0108
Drifting

your correct on the knee boolsters. It is also on the passenger side in the same location. And I'm pretty sure that the carpet on the side of the seat gets glued in also.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:28 PM
klkordzi
Instructor

On my 85, the carpet on the floor wasn't glued anywhere.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:29 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Yeah, I'm gonna pull the carpet as I've got a moldy smell from water running under the floorboard carpet. I'm sure there probably is mold/smell in the floorboard carpet fibers, but most of it is probably underneath. I guess using regular mold killer stuff from Lowes would work fine to clean up the floorboards? What do you guys use to kill mold in carpet fibers that is safe for the carpet?
Old 08-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by joshwilson3
Wouldn't that stuff make a mess if you are spraying it in the car? The one place I know I'll need to reglue is the tranny tunnel carpet that glues down to the floorboard carpet. what else gets glue? I'll be pulling the carpet to install sound deadner, and to steam clean the carpet.

I would be putting the glue on after the carpet is installed, so I think using a spray would mist glue all over the place.
Actually it wont mist all over.The spray can sprays it very specific.Its not like a can of spray paint that goes everywhere.It will go exactly where you aim it.

That being said,do take care to mask off areas you dont want to get glue on if your aim is wrong.When you get a can of spray glue,use a piece of cardboard outside of the car and practice on it.You will see how it sprays where you aim it.

That aside,when I did the tranny tunnel carpets i took the panels off and set them on a work bench,sprayed the back of the carpet and put the carpet on the panels.This was on an 86 so it may be different.

Then I added some books to provide weight to push down on the capet to the panels,and let it sit all night.Next morning they were dried perfect.Installed them into the car and they never lifted from the bottom.Didnt have to glue them down to the bottom carpet.

If you must glue them to the bottom carpet,get some painters masking tape,the 2 inch kind and put it below to mask off and spray the bottom of the trans tunnel carpet and then stick it down.Put some kind of weights on there so they dont lift and let dry a few hours.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:36 AM
jon0108
Drifting

Yeah, I'm gonna pull the carpet as I've got a moldy smell from water running under the floorboard carpet. I'm sure there probably is mold/smell in the floorboard carpet fibers, but most of it is probably underneath. I guess using regular mold killer stuff from Lowes would work fine to clean up the floorboards? What do you guys use to kill mold in carpet fibers that is safe for the carpet?
when my heater core was leaking I yanked the carpets and cleaned them with simple green and hot water using a small deck brush on the end of a long handle. Cleaned up the floorboards with same solution of simple green and hot water. However that jute padding under the carpetting was shot from the leaky heater core.I had to throw it out and ended buying new jute padding from a local upholstery shop. I guess you could replace the jute with dynamat or some other brand of underlayment.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:14 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

So, which 3M spray adhesive is the best to use? I've read on the net not to use a spray adhesive for carpet as it doesn't hold up, but to use a brushable carpet adhesive. Some of the carpet that will be glue is virtical, so I wouldn't want the carpet to start peeling off.

I've looked and some of the tranny tunnel carpet is pulling off the console plastic piece. So, since it is already out. I'm gonna finish pulling it off, clean it up and reglue it. Is there some way for you to tell how to align the carpet back up to the trim piece when you glue it? And what do you use to clean up the pieces that you plan to glue?
Old 10-27-2009, 01:07 AM
94vettelover2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dsmithh
3M adhesive like mentioned.Recommend dry fitting first then let carpet sit out on a hot sunny day-that will make carpet easier to work with & contour better.Use books or any other type of weights to hold carpet down.Make sure to clean area well that carpet is to go over.Take your time & it will look factory & car will smell like new on inside.I replaced whole interior on 1984 vette I used to own with new carpet,leather,etc.,it smelled wonderful inside when I was done
No smoking in there after this or drinks/food-just my opinion.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:53 AM
jon0108
Drifting

So, which 3M spray adhesive is the best to use? I've read on the net not to use a spray adhesive for carpet as it doesn't hold up, but to use a brushable carpet adhesive. Some of the carpet that will be glue is virtical, so I wouldn't want the carpet to start peeling off.

I've looked and some of the tranny tunnel carpet is pulling off the console plastic piece. So, since it is already out. I'm gonna finish pulling it off, clean it up and reglue it. Is there some way for you to tell how to align the carpet back up to the trim piece when you glue it? And what do you use to clean up the pieces that you plan to glue?
WHen i did my 86 i used 3m HI Strenght 90. i think thats the one for permanent installations. Spray the tranny tunnel then the carpet pieces, wait a minute then adhere. 2 years later and still good.

Get notified of new replies

To Carpet Glue

Old 10-27-2009, 04:44 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jon0108
WHen i did my 86 i used 3m HI Strenght 90. i think thats the one for permanent installations. Spray the tranny tunnel then the carpet pieces, wait a minute then adhere. 2 years later and still good.
Are you talking about spray adhesive right on the tranny tunnel of the car? Cause adhesive doesn't go there.

Though, I've still looking into replacing the factory Jute that is in the floorboard and tranny tunnel. I've heard things of Reflectix. Would that alone be fine in a
C4?

I called a local upholstery shop and they have some carpet adhesive in a 5 gallon bucket. And they said they could sell me some out of it. Though they say they use a spray gun, but they said I could brush it on. They did say that 3M spray can adhesive is garbage.

Last edited by samsonb; 10-27-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:36 AM
josephf31
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I don't think

Are you talking about spray adhesive right on the tranny tunnel of the car? Cause adhesive doesn't go there.

Though, I've still looking into replacing the factory Jute that is in the floorboard and tranny tunnel. I've heard things of Reflectix. Would that alone be fine in a
C4?

I called a local upholstery shop and they have some carpet adhesive in a 5 gallon bucket. And they said they could sell me some out of it. Though they say they use a spray gun, but they said I could brush it on. They did say that 3M spray can adhesive is garbage.
so (the 3M stuff being garbage); maybe from a commercial/shop point of view, yeah, but I been using this stuff for years for carpet, headliner, etc. and it always works well -- sticky as heck and holds up just fine.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:53 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by josephf31
so (the 3M stuff being garbage); maybe from a commercial/shop point of view, yeah, but I been using this stuff for years for carpet, headliner, etc. and it always works well -- sticky as heck and holds up just fine.
It may depend on how you apply it. Or where the car is, ex. kept in a cool garage all the time or out in the hot sun.

Either way, I like the idea of brushing it on vs. trying to spray it and keep from making a mess. The carpet is coming off on the side console plate. So, I plan on pull half of it back, apply glue. Let it set, then pull the other half back and apply the glue. That way, I don't have to worry about trying to get the carpet aligned up.

I also need to reglue some of the carpet on one of the door sills.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carpet Glue