Sponsored by:

a/c vent problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Jerry Prescott
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c vent problems

Just purchased my first vette, 1998, what a great car.
I replaced the LED dual climate moduale because the LED portion did not work, now it does. The problem I have now is I cant get the air flow to change from the dash to floor or to the defroster. The blower sounds like its really blowing hard and I can control the blower speed but the Mode doesn't seem to work.
Any ideas??
Old 08-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

This would be better off posted in the C5 Performance/Tech section, or the C5 General section.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:00 AM
tstar
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

What model number did you replace your original HVAC unit with? Your 98 needs a 09352181 which was superseded by part number 16254311. Either one should work for you well...

What did you do with the original unit? I'd be interested in it...
Old 08-23-2009, 03:55 AM
sneakelman
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Do a search on battery acid damage, FAST! Pull the battery out, and look under the tray for signs of leakage/acid damage. Hopefully, there isn't any.
Barring that you didn't use the wrong part number to replace your HVAC unit, you have a vacuum problem. There is a hard plastic vacuum line that runs off the back of the intake to a canister inside the passenger fenderwell area, then into the cabin. This vacuum is what your HVAC uses to move the door from face to feet to defrost......
Start there.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Jerry Prescott
3rd Gear

I have to return it (core charge)..The one I purchased is for 97-04's
Old 08-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Jerry Prescott
3rd Gear

I have the battery and the battery seat out, I dont see any acid damage, it all looks really clean. I'll try finding the vacuum line, is this a line with a clamp of some sort or a screwed fitting?
Old 08-23-2009, 08:03 PM
sneakelman
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Jerry Prescott
I have the battery and the battery seat out, I dont see any acid damage, it all looks really clean. I'll try finding the vacuum line, is this a line with a clamp of some sort or a screwed fitting?
It's inside the wire loom. You can't see it. Feel along the backside of the intake, you will feel a hard plastic line the runs toward the passenger side into the wire loom. That's the line.
Take the passenger fender well access panel off. You'll be able to see the line and where it comes into the canister.
Open up the entire wire loom, and trace the line from the canister to the intake. Feel and look for cracks.
Personally, I would just go ahead and pull the line from the intake and the canister, and replace it with rubber vacuum hose now. That's how I fixed mine. The hard line is going to break eventually, if it isn't already busted.
To get to the back of the intake you either have to unbolt the intake and slide it forward. Or, if you're hands and forearms are small enough, you can get back in there and feel your way to removing and replacing the line.
Let us know what you find.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:18 PM
RJWORKMAN
5th Gear

Originally Posted by sneakelman
It's inside the wire loom. You can't see it. Feel along the backside of the intake, you will feel a hard plastic line the runs toward the passenger side into the wire loom. That's the line.
Take the passenger fender well access panel off. You'll be able to see the line and where it comes into the canister.
Open up the entire wire loom, and trace the line from the canister to the intake. Feel and look for cracks.
Personally, I would just go ahead and pull the line from the intake and the canister, and replace it with rubber vacuum hose now. That's how I fixed mine. The hard line is going to break eventually, if it isn't already busted.
To get to the back of the intake you either have to unbolt the intake and slide it forward. Or, if you're hands and forearms are small enough, you can get back in there and feel your way to removing and replacing the line.
Let us know what you find.
How do you get to the vacuum line behind the intake manifold
Old 09-30-2009, 10:22 PM
RJWORKMAN
5th Gear

Default vacuum line

Originally Posted by Jerry Prescott
I have the same problem, How did you get to the vacuum line behind
intake manifold?
Old 10-01-2009, 03:54 PM
Bill Vett
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Ok I may be off base here but I remember somewhere there is a reset. Have you ever run the codes on your car? Then cleared them? When you do the HVAC codes you will hear the "flappers" open and close to cycle through the system. Before I would start going through the vacuum hose I'd try clearing all the HVAC codes first. Did it work before you changed the the control? Bill

Last edited by Bill Vett; 10-01-2009 at 04:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To a/c vent problems

Quick Reply: a/c vent problems