C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Split Window for 2013? YEA or NAY.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 01:25 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Default Split Window for 2013? YEA or NAY.....

OK most all of us have seen the C7 Concept car used in the latest Transformer Movie. Its a CONCEPT car and that is understood, it would really not be feasible to produce a car exaclty like that. However, taking this into consideration the 2013 is the first year for the new C7, also this fact; GM has stated a few days ago the next generation Corvette will go into production in April 2012 for the 2013 model year. Also state by Peters the chief design engineer, the C7 Concept is NOT the C7 Production, but many of the styling ques are there alread.... and finally, 2013 is the 50th Anniversary of the introdcution and release of the "Sting Ray" model, specifically the Split Window Coupe, (63-67).

The C7 Concept Car has revieved rave reviews, and since the GM bankruptcy has been one of the bright lights in the performance area. You can see a lot of the styling cues for the new Camaro of this car, and Peters did design the Camaro....

So why did I all go through this...my question here for the C1/C2 guys and gals is this...What is the possibility of the Split Window coming back for a one year 2013 Commemerative Model? Would is sell, would people buy it? Do you like it?

OK I have one and I admit I am partial, but boy would I love to see this happen...you think that Peters has the same ***** that Mitchell had to produce this?

Love to hear from all of you here....
Old 08-14-2009, 01:35 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

i think a 'split window' would be a vision safety hazard, so i don't think it will ever happen...
Bill
Old 08-14-2009, 01:52 PM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd tend to agree that actually putting a split down the back window would likely not fly - but it could be overcome somewhat by having a display somewhere...

If a somewhat toned down version of this concept car was coming out, and it looked goood, I would seriously consider one. Split or no.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:42 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by darguy
I'd tend to agree that actually putting a split down the back window would likely not fly - but it could be overcome somewhat by having a display somewhere...

If a somewhat toned down version of this concept car was coming out, and it looked goood, I would seriously consider one. Split or no.

I have to respectfully disagree with statments from both of the above members. Have any of you who make these comments ever driven a Split Window?

I see VANs, Pick up Trucks, Box Trucks, Eighteen Wheelers, motorcylces, 1939 Dodges, 1952 VWs, etc., etc.
POLICE CARS, all have either less limited rear view or have NO rear view at all, including if you haul a car trailer. And you say the split window inteferes with rear view...don't buy it.

It is annoying at first, but you learn to live and drive SAFELY with it...

What is more annoying then the split window is the curvature of the glass that distorts the parifial vision when looking in the rear view. So if you ever have driven a Split Window Corvette, this you would notice more annoying then the split.

I miss the passenger side door mirror more then the split being an issue, second all you do is move you head slightly to the left or right and you see very clearly past the blind spot. Finally, the rear view mirror of the 63 is much smaller then the newer mirrors....I have to respectfully disagree with you, I never had nor do I have a problem with the rear view having the split window.

As I stated I have more of a problem with the lack of a right side passenger door mirror then the split....

Last edited by 1KULC7; 08-14-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:52 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 160 Likes on 121 Posts

Split window or not, if a C-7 ever is made it will no doubt have either a 4 or 6 cylinder engine and would be downsized overall
Old 08-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
i think a 'split window' would be a vision safety hazard, so i don't think it will ever happen...
Bill
I cut mine out, 3 speeding tickets....I would not mind if they hid a camera in back so I could see behind and not rely on merely a 2 piece rear window that I already dumped in 1964 with first hand knowledge of its problems....I have seen concept pictures of the window and it looked good. Nice Vette too. It would be easy to place a camera back there without screwing up the rear styling.....Hell whats one more screen to watch....

Last edited by Ironcross; 08-14-2009 at 03:17 PM. Reason: added pictures
Old 08-14-2009, 03:17 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GCD1962
Split window or not, if a C-7 ever is made it will no doubt have either a 4 or 6 cylinder engine and would be downsized overall
Sources from Detriot state the 8 will still be made, but a Twin Turbo Six will be offered on base models. Also stated was much more material will be made of composite light weight material. The MID-ENGINE WILL NOT BE MADE. It does remain rear wheel drive. This has been stated for the record so far.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:05 PM
darguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by EBVette
I have to respectfully disagree with statments from both of the above members. Have any of you who make these comments ever driven a Split Window?

I see VANs, Pick up Trucks, Box Trucks, Eighteen Wheelers, motorcylces, 1939 Dodges, 1952 VWs, etc., etc.
POLICE CARS, all have either less limited rear view or have NO rear view at all, including if you haul a car trailer. And you say the split window inteferes with rear view...don't buy it.

What is more annoying then the split window is the curvature of the glass that distorts the parifial vision when looking in the rear view. So if you ever have driven a Split Window Corvette, this you would notice more annoying then the split.

I miss the passenger side door mirror more then the split being an issue, second all you do is move you head slightly to the left or right and you see very clearly past the blind spot. Finally, the rear view mirror of the 63 is much smaller then the newer mirrors....I have to respectfully disagree with you, I never had nor do I have a problem with the rear view having the split window.

As I stated I have more of a problem with the lack of a right side passenger door mirror then the split....
No, I haven't driven one (I'd love to) - but I've seen a pretty convincing picture of a shot into a rear-view mirror of one from the driver's seat and what it does to the view. I didn't say that the split interferes with the view, I said that "actually putting a split down the back window would likely not fly", meaning that it would probably get veto'd by someone along the way due to concerns about visibility and safety. Yes, some vans don't have window etc, but they're not 500 HP sports cars either. With all the air-bags, abs, and impact beams etc that get put into new cars I doubt that they'd be able to get the split to fly. I hope they can, and if they do, "it could be overcome somewhat by having a display somewhere".

Sorry for the confusion, I'll be more verbose in the future. If a C7 Stingray was on par styling-wise with the new Camaro, I'd likely be on that train.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Comp Cam 1
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironcross
I cut mine out, 3 speeding tickets....I would not mind if they hid a camera in back so I could see behind and not rely on merely a 2 piece rear window that I already dumped in 1964 with first hand knowledge of its problems....I have seen concept pictures of the window and it looked good. Nice Vette too. It would be easy to place a camera back there without screwing up the rear styling.....Hell whats one more screen to watch....

Great Points! But the car is horrible!
Old 08-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Scott333
Racer

Sources from Detriot state the 8 will still be made, but a Twin Turbo Six will be offered on base models.

What's the point? How much price difference will there be between a "base V-8" and a V-6 with twin-turbos added on... and whatever that amount is, is it significant enough considering the target audience?

How much price difference will there be on the resale market, 10 years down the road, for a six-cylinder Corvette?

I just prefer they'd stick with the V-8... and stop tryin' to fix what ain't broke...

Forgot the OP's question... the split-window on the '63 is a beautiful thing. The 2013 model pictured above doesn't do anything for me personally, but I'm biased toward the older Corvettes in general, and very partial to the 1963-1967, and the early C-3's.

Last edited by Scott333; 08-14-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:44 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by sixty4
Great Points! But the car is horrible!
I've got to agree. It takes the angular looks of the new Camaro and recent Cadillacs and carries it right over the edge.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:58 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

The next time you're in a store with a toy department, look for models of this car in the Transformer section. The toy (with a split rear window) looks great.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:03 PM
w1ctc
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://jalopnik.com/5336586/stingray...yline=true&s=i
Old 08-14-2009, 06:05 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by darguy
No, I haven't driven one (I'd love to) - but I've seen a pretty convincing picture of a shot into a rear-view mirror of one from the driver's seat and what it does to the view. I didn't say that the split interferes with the view, I said that "actually putting a split down the back window would likely not fly", meaning that it would probably get veto'd by someone along the way due to concerns about visibility and safety. Yes, some vans don't have window etc, but they're not 500 HP sports cars either. With all the air-bags, abs, and impact beams etc that get put into new cars I doubt that they'd be able to get the split to fly. I hope they can, and if they do, "it could be overcome somewhat by having a display somewhere".

Sorry for the confusion, I'll be more verbose in the future. If a C7 Stingray was on par styling-wise with the new Camaro, I'd likely be on that train.

If you ever in the Washington DC area I will be more then happy for you to drive my 63, a PHOTOGRAPH is missleading as you do not have the same focal plane you do as the human eye, in order to capture a look in the rear view mirror you have to telephoto the lense and in turn the rear window is also magnified....I have done it and it is NOT what you see driving.

Still I rest my case on just driving and adapting to it, because one you see the split you become that much more aware of things which means you become much more careful to assure you have a good look..
Old 08-14-2009, 06:05 PM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GCD1962
I just hope GM does not decide to share the Sky platform with the next Corvette. Remember what Ford did with the Thunderbird. When big was in the Bird got 4 doors. When small was in the bird got a 6 cylinder. Dont say never. The Goverment now has a say in things.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:07 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 160 Likes on 121 Posts

Sources from Detriot state the 8 will still be made, but a Twin Turbo Six will be offered on base models. Also stated was much more material will be made of composite light weight material. The MID-ENGINE WILL NOT BE MADE. It does remain rear wheel drive. This has been stated for the record so far.
With the new fuel mileage requirements the V-8 will only be available in those vehicles that require that much power,i.e. trucks and HD P/U trucks. What is being said about future C-7 cars is pure speculation, even by those within as the directive comes from the top (which now is gov't, not execs). For the Corvette to survive into a C-7 it will require a downsizing of engines. Twin turbo is not all that bad and a reduction in size and weight will be the way it will be able to pass under the watchful eyes of the gov't do-gooders.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Oriondriver
Pro

They produce Suburbans with rear "Barn Doors"... effectively a split window version for SUVs... we have never had problems with visibility and have been driving it since 2000...

Scott

Get notified of new replies

To Split Window for 2013? YEA or NAY.....

Old 08-14-2009, 07:01 PM
NEVERL8
Drifting

Received 245 Likes on 109 Posts

I highly doubt the safety *****, do-gooder, politically correct, "we know what is better for you", risk averse contingent of the general US socio-industrial machine would allow such a thing.

The lawyers, on the other hand, are salivating at the mere thought of it.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:18 PM
darguy
Drifting

If you ever in the Washington DC area I will be more then happy for you to drive my 63, a PHOTOGRAPH is missleading as you do not have the same focal plane you do as the human eye, in order to capture a look in the rear view mirror you have to telephoto the lense and in turn the rear window is also magnified....I have done it and it is NOT what you see driving.

Still I rest my case on just driving and adapting to it, because one you see the split you become that much more aware of things which means you become much more careful to assure you have a good look..
I'll take you up on that, if I'm ever in that stretch of the woods. Likewise, if you're in Vancouver we can do a comparison with my '64.

I get what you're saying with the difference in a photo compared to the eye. The brain is a wonderful piece of hardware/software that makes all them photons make sense!

Old 08-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Zora will get his way this time, if they try to produce a SWC again.

Quick Reply: Split Window for 2013? YEA or NAY.....