C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 Interior Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Cricket2008
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 67 Interior Lights

As I get my 67 closer to completion, I notice the interior lights stay on with the doors shut. Checking the two door switches manually (a person pushing the switches at each door) it works OK. So the upper door hinge is not contacting the switch on either side. I made temporary spacers placed on the hinges about 1/4 inch thick and it works OK. What am I missing?
Old 08-12-2009, 11:27 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Adjust the switches by backing them out of the door jam a little.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:29 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by stingrayl76
Adjust the switches by backing them out of the door jam a little.
In addition to the switches being screwed into the door jamb, my understanding is that the plungers self adjust the first time new ones are used. So I wonder if it's possible that the plungers got pushed in too far by somebody and they need to be pulled out a little?
Old 08-12-2009, 11:34 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
In addition to the switches being screwed into the door jamb, my understanding is that the plungers self adjust the first time new ones are used. So I wonder if it's possible that the plungers got pushed in too far by somebody and they need to be pulled out a little?
Jeff,

Very well could be as you say, however I've never had any new ones, just very old ones.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:28 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Exactly. The tube the plunger rides in is a press-fit in the hole in the nut, and when new, the first time the door is closed, the hinge contacts the plunger, which bottoms out on the end of the tube, pushing the tube to the door-closed position. From then on, any time the door is opened, the end of the plunger you can't see touches the end of the tube, grounding the circuit.

Remove the switches, push the tubes further rearward in the nut, and re-install. One of Dave Zuberer's neat photos is below that shows how they work.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To 67 Interior Lights

Quick Reply: 67 Interior Lights