C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake manifold gasket replacement ??

Old 08-10-2009, 09:00 PM
tblt44
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Intake manifold gasket replacement ??

I just found out my newly bought 1995 corvette has an oil leak from the front of the intake manifold.Is this a big job? I am pretty good at fixing things,starters,alternaters,clutch,ect,b ut never been inside a engine.
Should I do it my self or pay someone?
What would this cost?I got a quote from chevy of 464.00 is this high?
Thanks all I'm new to the corvette world
Old 08-10-2009, 09:18 PM
NeutronVette
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try posting your question here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-tech-performance-48/
Old 08-10-2009, 09:31 PM
01vetter
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 21 Posts

Ooops, see that you have a C4. What I say below for a C5 might still be valid.

The intake manifold has a gasket set for each runner. But, these can't be the problem because the intake manifold doesn't see any engine oil. The only possibe way for the intake manifold to be leaking oil would be if your PCV system is pumping oil into it and if one of your front runner gaskets isn't installed correctly. But, I doubt if this is your oil leak because you would see a vacuum leak and would be sucking the oil into the engine.

The other possibility, and most likely cause is your valley cover, which is under your intake manifold. The valley cover has a gasket on it that could have let go. Also, your knock sensors have rubber seals in their wells. One of mine let go and partially filled the well with oil. I suppose that it could fill all the way up and spill out onto the front of the engine.

Wher do you see oil leaking from??

Last edited by 01vetter; 08-10-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:13 PM
tblt44
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Front right looks like at the intake.It's very hard to see.It,s around the distributor cap area or just above
Old 08-11-2009, 07:13 PM
coxjajb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tblt44, I have no specific experience with a 1995,, however, I once had an 84 and thought I had an oil leak from the back of the intake manifold. I replaced the gasket twice but it continued to leak. The leak turned out to be from the oil pressure sensor. It's located behind the manifold near the distributor. Again that was an 84. Just a though to check before you tear into your 95.

Get notified of new replies

To Intake manifold gasket replacement ??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intake manifold gasket replacement ??