C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Change Tips/Techniques?

Old 07-22-2009, 09:27 AM
Don Gio
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Change Tips/Techniques?

I was talking to a friend who has a GMC pickup with dual climate control. He installed a new battery and the climate control on one side died. The dealer told him that you have to leave the battery disconnected for at least 15 minutes or this kind of problem can occur.

Any problems or special procedures needed in changing a C6 battery? I was just going to let Sears do it, but if there is some special techniques that must be followed I will do it myself.

Experiences?

Thanks,
Don
Old 07-22-2009, 09:33 AM
LarryMJones
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Tender option

I was thinking it might be an option to plug your battery tender into the lighter plug before disconnecting battery. You will have to make sure the positive battery cable does not touch any metal while changing the battery.

This would keep all systems energized and save having to reset anything.
LJ
Old 07-22-2009, 09:35 AM
SpdWhite
Racer

I had the battery changed in my C6 twice by the dealer. The dreaded DBS got me and killed two batteries.

The dealer had a small battery unit that kept some power to the car, enough to keep the memorys intact while changeing out the battery.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

You will need to reset the window indexing for both windows after the new battery is connected (or any time a battery is disconnected for more than a few seconds).

Close the car door. Raise the window and hold the up switch an extra 3 seconds. Release. Without lowering the window, hold the up switch again for 3 seconds. Release. Done.

This is called resetting of the window indexing or power window initialize and is in the owner's manual. See page 2-17 of the 2005 owner’s manual, page 2-18 of the 2006 owner’s manual, page 87 of the 2007 owner’s manual, page 2-18 of the 2008 owner’s manual, or page 2-18 of the 2009 owner's manual.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

BMW parts retailers used to sell a connector with a 9 volt battery that would plug into the cigarette lighter hole to keep memory in the ECU up and running durning a battery change. sounds like a good idea to me
Old 07-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by LarryMJones
I was thinking it might be an option to plug your battery tender into the lighter plug before disconnecting battery. You will have to make sure the positive battery cable does not touch any metal while changing the battery.

LJ
Originally Posted by Racer86
BMW parts retailers used to sell a connector with a 9 volt battery that would plug into the cigarette lighter hole to keep memory in the ECU up and running durning a battery change. sounds like a good idea to me
In the C6, you don't have to reset anything after a battery change or reconnect but the window indexing. Why pay for anything you don't need?
Old 07-22-2009, 03:31 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I replaced my original battery and only re indexed the windows. I had no other problem and did not use a small battery.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:41 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN
In the C6, you don't have to reset anything after a battery change or reconnect but the window indexing. Why pay for anything you don't need?
The radio presets, and key fob settings (drivers seat, mirrors, etc) don't get wiped out?

Just wondering. I have a 2LT,and an aftermarket stereo, so I have no idea what happens to those systems.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:41 PM
SteveTurner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VET4LES
I replaced my original battery and only re indexed the windows. I had no other problem and did not use a small battery.
I did the same when I put in my new Optima battery.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:13 AM
Mel 2001
Drifting

I replaced mine 2 weeks ago. Re index window and reset clock is all I had to do.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:23 AM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveTurner
I did the same when I put in my new Optima battery.
Did you get an Optima Red or Yellow & why? I just got the Optima Yellow because it is DEEP Cycle & I run the fan with the engine off between rounds of drag racing...

Also at the shop where I did the battery he also used some type of small battery to retain the window indexing, and any other memory that "might" get lost.. (no problems)

PS I still use a Battery Tender during the week if I'm not using the car.. I have a Magellan GPS and don't know how much that will take because I don't unplug it from the cig lighter.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:43 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryMJones

LJ
A Battery Tender has a control that turns off all power when it is not connected to a battery so, as soon as you disconnect the car battery, all voltage would be lost.

The C6 draws a lot of power when the door opens so a 9 volt battery would probably also be dead also.

Just change the battery and reindex the windows. The 15 minute minimum is I would think it more likely that the person changing the battery that killed an A/C control was tentative reconnecting the second lead when they saw some sparks. It is going to spark when the second lead is connected. Just stick it on and keep it on. Don't let it power up-down-up-down-up-down-up-down-up-down-up-down-up-down-up-down-up-down-up-down-up-down-up-down-up-down-up-down-up.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Don Gio
Intermediate

Default Thanks! Good news/bad news

Got the battery last night, no problems, just indexed the windows. Worked first time.

Bad news is that the fob is still not recognized...

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Change Tips/Techniques?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery Change Tips/Techniques?