C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the torque spec for brake banjo bolts?

Old 05-22-2009, 07:24 PM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default What is the torque spec for brake banjo bolts?

I'm assuming this is the same thing as the "brake caliper inlet fitting bolt" at 33-lb-ft?

http://www.davidfarmerstuff.com/C6-Torque-Auto.PDF

TIA

RMX
Old 05-22-2009, 07:49 PM
ShinodaVette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I torqued mine to 2 weeks ago.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:46 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

33 lb/ft is what the shop manual says but I have a friend that broke one off trying to torque to that setting. I just bought a set of StopTech brake lines and they say set Banjo Bolt to 14 lb/ft. Shop manual also says set brake pipe to flexable hose at 13 lb/ft. I'm wondering if they have these specs reversed? 33 lb/ft sounds high for a hollow bolt. Any pro mechanics out there that can shine some light on this for us. I'm not going to install my new StopTech SS brake lines until I know for sure what to set torque.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:51 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by USA1C5
33 lb/ft is what the shop manual says but I have a friend that broke one off trying to torque to that setting. I just bought a set of StopTech brake lines and they say set Banjo Bolt to 14 lb/ft. Shop manual also says set brake pipe to flexable hose at 13 lb/ft. I'm wondering if they have these specs reversed? 33 lb/ft sounds high for a hollow bolt. Any pro mechanics out there that can shine some light on this for us. I'm not going to install my new StopTech SS brake lines until I know for sure what to set torque.
I'm sticking with the 14 ft/lb from Stoptech. They also say not to use a torque wrench, but to tighten to approximately 14 ft/lb.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/ma...C_03-02-06.pdf

Yeah, those are C5 instructions but they are the same lines and calipers as I will have in a few days. 33 ft/lbs is way too much.

San
Old 06-06-2009, 09:10 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by oldmansan
I'm sticking with the 14 ft/lb from Stoptech. They also say not to use a torque wrench, but to tighten to approximately 14 ft/lb.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/ma...C_03-02-06.pdf

Yeah, those are C5 instructions but they are the same lines and calipers as I will have in a few days. 33 ft/lbs is way too much.

San
I just read their instructions you linked to. I think you've convinced me to go with 14 lb/ft. I don't understand why not to use a torque wrench though. That's the only way I can be sure not to go over 14 lb/ft. Another thing I'm going to check out is my C5 shop manual torque settings. The 13 lb/ft and 33 lb/ft torque settings I posted in an earlier post was from a C6 shop manual.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:43 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

My guess is that they (Stoptech) don't want you to use a torque wrench as if it is not calibrated correctly you could overtorque and strip the threads.

San
Old 06-07-2009, 03:47 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

My guess is that they (Stoptech) don't want you to use a torque wrench as if it is not calibrated correctly you could overtorque and strip the threads.

San
I just checked my C5 shop manual and it calls for 30 lb/ft on the banjo bolt and 12 lb/ft for the brake pipe to flexable hose.

For myself however, I would be more likely to strip threads or break a bolt by guessing at torque setting than using a torque wrench. Even if a torque wrech were off 10% we're only talking about 1.4 lb/ft. I would think even an uncalibrated torque wrench being off 10% would be whole lot. Having said that however, there is always that chance a torque wrench could be off more but my guessing at torque could be off much more too. Either way there's room for some kind of error. Take your pick I guess.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:15 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Bear in mind I'll be installing the Stoptech brakes, which have an aluminum brake caliper, not the C6 stock brakes. The torque for the stock brakes is probably completely different as the materials are different.

San
Old 06-07-2009, 05:19 PM
COL Dave L
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Banjo Bolt Torque

Originally Posted by USA1C5
I just broke off the head of a banjo bolt trying to use the 33 lb ft spec in my Corvette GM shop manual. I thought it was high, but I checked with the dealer and was told that 33 was correct. IT IS WRONG! The 14 lb ft sounds right to me, especially for a hollow bolt. I shoulda known better. Now I'm trying to find a replacement bolt, which seems scarce as hens teeth.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:31 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Bear in mind I'll be installing the Stoptech brakes, which have an aluminum brake caliper, not the C6 stock brakes. The torque for the stock brakes is probably completely different as the materials are different.

San
My Z06 also has aluminum OEM caliper. I'm not sure what the stock regular and Z51 C6 caliper is but the shop manual calls for same torque on both (J56) which is Z06 OEM aluminum caliper and for (JL9-J55) regular and Z51 caliper but not sure of metal in those. I thought they were also aluminum, but I don't know. I know Z06 caliper is aluminum. 14 lb/ft sounds good to me though.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:31 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by COL Dave L
I just broke off the head of a banjo bolt trying to use the 33 lb ft spec in my Corvette GM shop manual. I thought it was high, but I checked with the dealer and was told that 33 was correct. IT IS WRONG! The 14 lb ft sounds right to me, especially for a hollow bolt. I shoulda known better. Now I'm trying to find a replacement bolt, which seems scarce as hens teeth.
Sorry to hear that, but nice of you to post for others to learn from.

San
Old 06-07-2009, 05:36 PM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm....I torqued mine to 33 and it worked out fine. Maybe a 25 lb might be safer next time around?

They were tight as hell when trying to remove them.

RMX

Last edited by REMIX; 06-07-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:41 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by COL Dave L
Maybe someone can chime in here with a Banjo Bolt for COL Dave L. Someone that has installed new brakes or new brake lines may have some spare OEM Banjo Bolts somewhere.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:09 PM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

The factory bolts are different than the StopTec bolts. I have snapped the Stoptec bolts also they are made of a totally different material that even looks less stong. They don't need to be that strong just enough to get good seal with the crush washers.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:31 AM
COL Dave L
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a replacement bolt today, GM Part # 11570052. This bolt is different than the OEM banjo bolt, which may have been built in Australia with the OEM caliper. The GM replacement bolt has a hex washer head and is zinc plated, while the OEM bolt is a hex head and seems to be made of stainless steel, plus it is machined in greater detail. However, I feel the replacement will work. Two-hundred mile trip to a dealer that had just one in stock!

Get notified of new replies

To What is the torque spec for brake banjo bolts?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is the torque spec for brake banjo bolts?