Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Convertible top care

Old 05-29-2009, 12:28 PM
edge56
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible top care

Just purchased a 2001 Vette convertible and wanted to see what the best way is to care for the convertible top is. Looks to be new or has been really taken care of and would like to keep it that way. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:32 PM
oakvillec5
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got a vert as well....looking for tips
Old 05-29-2009, 01:34 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All roads seem to point to Ragg Top for cleaning, preserving. Best advice is to park it in the garage to minimize UV exposure, clean it when you wash the car, and if the glass begins to separate from the fabric (which is a common occurance), don't ignore the problem. Immediately buy some Rhino Glue and fix it before the window falls completely out. You will still be able to repair it, but it will be a much bigger hassle than if you can catch it early. The top on my 2002 vert still looks new. I never rub it with towels or anything else when I use the pressure washer at the self-serve car wash or in my own driveway. I let it dry naturally. So far, so good. And never drive it through an automated car wash, not even the touchless kind. Water shooting in from the sides will get under your window seals and you'll have a mess. Don't ask me how I know this.

Last edited by JMc; 05-29-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:38 PM
DBL001
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have a vert and just wash it with the rest of the car, i know there is convertible top cleaner you can purchase but i never found a need, after its washed i dry it with the chamois by laying it on the top and just pressing it with my hands, no rubbing, and leave the top up and latched for however long the top takes to dry. Once in a while i use one of those sticky rollers that you use for lint, it seems to work very well to get those little fuzzies that seem to get stuck on there
Old 05-29-2009, 01:49 PM
DBL001
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JMc
All roads seem to point to Ragg Top for cleaning, preserving. Best advice is to park it in the garage to minimize UV exposure, clean it when you wash the car, and if the glass begins to separate from the fabric (which is a common occurance), don't ignore the problem. Immediately buy some Rhino Glue and fix it before the window falls completely out. You will still be able to repair it, but it will be a much bigger hassle than if you can catch it early. The top on my 2002 vert still looks new. I never rub it with towels or anything else when I use the pressure washer at the self-serve car wash or in my own driveway. I let it dry naturally. So far, so good. And never drive it through an automated car wash, not even the touchless kind. Water shooting in from the sides will get under your window seals and you'll have a mess. Don't ask me how I know this.
I agree with most of what you say, but the reason I dry mine (and I don't know how much sense this makes) is the water in my neck of the woods is heavy in mineral content, so I figure get most of it off so it doesn't dull the top with that whitish haze, I don't really know if it helps, after all it is meant to be in the rain (God forbid ) but my top looks new as well, plus I've found if I don't dry it I'll get some drip marks from the top on the body of the car which of course is insignificant but I get nuts with this kind of thing! Also IMHO don't ever use a pressure washer, you can damage your paint if any large particles are on the the car that are capable of scratching and also the water can get into undesirable places!

Last edited by DBL001; 05-29-2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 05-29-2009, 01:51 PM
TooMch
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DBL001
Once in a while i use one of those sticky rollers that you use for lint, it seems to work very well to get those little fuzzies that seem to get stuck on there
X2 on that. when I take it to a show, I use the sticky lint roller on it and that livens it up.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:53 PM
boblud
Racer

RAGG TOP
Old 05-29-2009, 01:57 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DBL001
I agree with most of what you say, but the reason I dry mine (and I don't know how much sense this makes) is the water in my neck of the woods is heavy in mineral content, so I figure get most of it off so it doesn't dull the top with that whitish haze, I don't really know if it helps, after all it is meant to be in the rain (God forbid ) but my top looks new as well, plus I've found if I don't dry it I'll get some drip marks from the top on the body of the car which of course is insignificant but I get nuts with this kind of thing! Also IMHO don't ever use a pressure washer, you can damage your paint if any large particles are on the the car that are capable of scratching and also the water can get into undesirable places!
I hear what you are saying, and our water out here is no prize either, but I haven't had any problem with mineral residue or anything like that. Most of the time, I take it to the self-serve car wash a mile from my house and give the entire a car a final rinse with spot-free ionized water. BTW, I don't disagree with your method of soaking up some of the water with a chamois or anything. I've just never found it necessary - nor have I found the use of Ragg Top necessary - at least, not yet. I also have no issue with pressure washing. The paint can handle it just fine.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Tom Keitzer
Instructor

Just a tip here. Picked this up from my brother in law who is a C4 convertible owner. Washing and cleaning is a personnal preference, but if you run with the top down most of the time, as we both do, wear on the top, while it is down, bouncing around, will produce wear spots where it touches itself. Noticed this right away on my 02. Solution: Take an old thick sheet or thin terry cloth, two pieces cut about 8" wide and the length of the top from side to side. Place them in the creases as you fold the top up to store it under the waterfall. Prevents "ride wear" and doesn't affect the closure of the top at all. Just a thought, but I do it religously.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Texas Dave
Racer

I prefer 303 Aerospace Convertible Top Cleaner and 303 Aerospace High Tech Fabric Guard.

Though honestly I frequently just wash the top with the same soap as the rest of the car.

http://www.autogeek.net/303.html

Last edited by Texas Dave; 05-29-2009 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Corrected product name
Old 05-29-2009, 04:44 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 914 Likes on 450 Posts

Raggtopp kit.
Don't get the protectant on the finish.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:38 PM
PETE O.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom Keitzer
Just a tip here. Picked this up from my brother in law who is a C4 convertible owner. Washing and cleaning is a personnal preference, but if you run with the top down most of the time, as we both do, wear on the top, while it is down, bouncing around, will produce wear spots where it touches itself. Noticed this right away on my 02. Solution: Take an old thick sheet or thin terry cloth, two pieces cut about 8" wide and the length of the top from side to side. Place them in the creases as you fold the top up to store it under the waterfall. Prevents "ride wear" and doesn't affect the closure of the top at all. Just a thought, but I do it religously.
Wow, cool idea! I have a vinyl top (white) so it's really easy to clean and I do wipe RaggTopp protectant on it when it dries but this is a great idea for keeping it from damaging itself when stored.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:02 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rode & Schwalenbert Gmbn. (Germany) the world leading manufacturer of automobile convertible tops exclusively recommends Harrtz RaggTop Cleaners and Protectant. Developed specifically for cleaning, re-proofing and preserving convertible tops, these cleaning kits consist of two products:

1. Cleaner to remove soiling, stains and atmospheric pollution for both natural and synthetic materials. The best cleaners are formulated from low-pH (low alkalinity) and gentle enough for repeated use over years. They will rely on proteins and enzymes for their safe, but effective, cleaning power.

2. Fabric protector to re-proof and preserve fabric tops from the effects of water absorption, surface soiling and staining, and provide a sunscreen from UV radiation and subsequent fading. It has the best UV protection of any product on the market, and it repels dirt, grease, and oil. It doesn’t make your vinyl top glossy or greasy-looking. It will have the natural matte sheen of new vinyl.

Alternative product- this is the fabric protector recommended by Glen Raven Mills (Sunbrella) and the Haartz Corporation, 303™ High Tech Fabric Guard restores lost water repellence and stain repellence to factory new levels. It stops leaks, resists soiling and impedes mildew formation and helps protect against the sun's harmful UV rays.

Cleaning / Care Methodology

•Use a soft horsehair brush to remove any loose surface dust, use a lint lifter to remove lint from the fabric surface. Be careful around the rear window to avoid scratching
•Mask the areas around the fabric top with masking tape (3M® Painters Easy Release Blue Tape) also cover the rear window to avoid over-spray
•Shake product for 30-60 seconds to ensure even mixing
•With all cleaning products, always test a small, indiscrete area first to ensure it won't discolour or stain the surface, and ensure that the pH of the product is suitable for the material.
•Apply fabric cleaner (Harrtz RaggTop Cleaner) with a clean, damp applicator and leave to penetrate fabric for 10 – 20 minutes dependant upon stain. Gently scrub using a soft brush to get into the texture of the fabric.
•Repeat if necessary; applying two light coats are better than the application of one heavy coat: allow drying thoroughly between coats.
•Rinse off using a low-pressure water hose and a soft horsehair brush
•Dry with a waffle weave Microfiber towel using a blotting motion to dry excess moisture.
Allow the fabric to dry for as long as possible (preferably 24-hours) before using the protectant. An hour or two isn’t long enough, it may feel dry but that’s only the uppermost surface layer (using a protectant on a damp fabric will ‘seal in’ the moisture and encourage the formation of mildew)
•Apply a fabric protector (Harrtz RaggTop Protectant) on the dry fabric, keeping about 6-8 inches above surface and using a back and forth movements spray lightly but do not soak.
•Alternatively use a soft horsehair paintbrush and apply light thin coats, if time permits, two light coats are better than one medium coat, using gentle sweeping motion. Do not saturate. Allow to dry 10-15 minutes between coats, and to dry thoroughly before using or storing.
•Remove all masking tape and any other materials
•Be sure to remove any accidental over-spray from paint or glass surfaces immediately with a damp Microfiber towel or a 1:1 isopropyl alcohol / distilled water solution. On paint work use a pre-wax cleaner if necessary or fine detailing clay.
•After treatment the top will bead water, when the beading diminishes (usually at 6 monthly intervals, dependent upon climate / use) it's an indication that it's time for another treatment.

An extract from one of a series of in-depth detailing articles © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2008, all rights reserved
Old 05-30-2009, 08:06 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

We offer and sell Ragtopp and 303 Convertible care packages as they are considered the best of the best. No wrong choice as both work great. Good luck on new ride !

www.autogeek.net
Old 05-19-2017, 01:38 AM
missme69
3rd Gear

Default sun damage

my convertible car has been sitting in my driveway (not running) for almost a year now. and i am very concerned about the top getting sun damaged. is there anything that i can put on it to prevent the convertible top from sun damage?
Old 05-19-2017, 10:39 PM
Allan
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

This, and you support the museum.

https://corvettestore.com/raggtopp-c...k-raggtopptwin
Old 06-02-2017, 08:48 PM
RPOZ51
Race Director

Location: For the strength of the pack is the wolf . . . . . . and the strength of the wolf is the pack.
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

I originally posted this here about 10 years ago (!!), and have been doing it this way since I had my '04. I also shared this with other people, and it still works for me:

Originally Posted by RPOZ51
I am NOT representing that I am an expert. In fact, I'm anything but an expert. I've had Corvettes with Shale and Gray tops, and haven't had any problems with this approach:

1. Cleaning:
- If I'm taking care of the roof, as part of an overall car cleaning marathon, I do it first - before taking care of wheels,tires, paint or windows.
- If there are any strange spots, I attack them with Goof Off.
- Soak the top very thoroughly with the garden hose, then get out the RaggTopp cleaner and a big beefy sponge.
- I know some people use a brush, but I am very averse to any kind of rubbing or scrubbing, which can increase the odds of lifting the fibers of the material, or ripping the stitching. I believe the fibers are most susceptible to damage when they are soaked with water.
- Spray the top liberally with the cleaner, and work it in by squeezing the sponge (i.e. not by rubbing), making it nice and sudsy.
- Rinse everything down with the hose. If it's been a while, if I'm in a good mood, or if it looks like it needs it, I do another wash cycle. I've been told that if you can't get the cleaner to make a lot of suds, that means the material is still dirty.
- After I'm done washing, and thoroughly rinsing, I get out the shop vac, and go over it several times, trying to get out as much moisture as I possibly can. You'd be surprised at how much water ends up in your vac.
- Then, with the top up at all times, I put the car in the garage. I cover the top with an old sheet, to prevent any dusk or dirt that might be floating in the air to settle on it. Then, I "step away from the car." I come back in the next day or two, depending on the air temperature, to be sure the material had enough time to thoroughly dry out.

2. Treatment:
- The key here is to mask everything that shouldn't be treated. I don't know what the stuff will do to paint, or glass, but I'm not anxious to find out.
- First, I mask the window with several layers of newspaper, and blue masking tape.
- Then, I cover the car with two (2) of the cheapest disposable plastic drop cloths I can find - one for the front of the car, one for the back.
For the front: I open the roof latch, and raise only the front section of the roof. With the windows up, drape the cloth over the windshield and each window, pulling the drop cloth as far to the rear of the car as possible. Then I close the roof over it.
For the rear: I raise only the back end of the roof, drape the drop cloth over the waterfall, pull it as far to the front of the car as possible, and close the roof over it.
Then the fun begins.
- As I learned from my old car model spray painting days, shake well and often, and keep the nozzle a good 12 to 14 inches away from the fabric. I spray well above the fabric, and sort of let a cloud of spray settle on the roof (I probably waste a lot of stuff). For the first coat, I work from the front of the car toward the back.
- After the first coat, resist any temptation to go over a spot you missed, and let it sit for at least a half hour.
- RaggTopp recommends two or three coats of treatment. I generally do two. For the second coat, I go from left to right across the roof (at a 90 degree angle to the first layer). That should ensure the whole thing is covered.
- After letting everything sit for a half hour or so, toss the drop cloths, and the window masking, and you're good to go.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:36 PM
Ronnie123
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vert top

I have a 1993 ruby red 40th anniversary edition. It has been garage kept with a car cover since new. Never been driven in the rain with 41,000 miles on it. Do I need to clean it or just use protectant?

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible top care

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Convertible top care