C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupe or Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 01:16 AM
nickV8
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coupe or Z06?

Am looking for a Vette and am undecided on what to get. I can either afford a new 2009 Coupe or a used 2007/8 Z06. Am planning to use it every day for my commute (about 1hr each way). What's the general feeling about how the Z06 and Coupe are and how they compare as a daily drive?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 05-25-2009, 01:47 AM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get the newest Vette you can afford. If you want a removable top and possibly an A6, that go for the C6. If you want the LS7 and wide body, go for the ZO6. You can't go wrong with either one. Take them both for a test drive.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:55 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I reread your post.

I'm going to have to say coupe, based on how you say that you are going to use it, and your unfamiliarity with Vettes.

You say that you will be driving it every day, two hours round trip.

I'd probably want an automatic, especially if traffic in spots along that 1hr commute became an issue, and I would want a full 5yr/100k mile powertrain warranty and a full 36month on everything else if its going to be seeing that much service.

You're getting a full year of OnStar directions and connections on a new Coupe too, which you might need driving it that much. May as well take it, if its coming with the car. Plus 6 months of XM which comes in handy for those long 2hr round trip commutes.

You won't quite get all of that with a used car. A used car's factory warranty starts from the day it was originally put into service. You will get whats left of the OnStar and XM, and then you pay.

On a new car, the dealership may be more inclined to give you a loaner should you buy a brand new car from them, which again makes a difference if you should need it for when your daily driver has to go in for service.

Sometimes on a new car, you can also fanagle free oil changes out of them as well. Something else you may want to consider for a daily driver.

Finally, if you are driving that much, the Zs gas mileage is slightly worse than the coupes. Not much, but the 2mpg difference would eventually add up with you driving 2 hours a day, every day.

Then with you driving that much, the tires on the Z will soon need to be replaced. Most people here aren't getting a lot of mileage out of the GY Eagle F1 Supercars on the Z.

So if you are driving that much, the overall operational expense of the Z is going to be slightly higher.

Biggest thing though is the warranty and maintenance. And on a used car, a used Z06, depending on when it was put into service, you are going to lose some of the factory warranty time, etc., and you will be looking at a new set of tires a bit sooner. Especially considering how you will be driving it.

New, automatic, F55 coupe would get my vote.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-25-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:56 AM
meshoooo
Racer

personally I will go for the Z ... I don`t like the C like some one who is driving a carrera and says I have a PORSCHE
Old 05-25-2009, 02:06 AM
nickV8
Intermediate

Interesting. I hadn't noticed the Z06 targa section was not also removable. Will have to think about that...

As for using either for a daily drive, will either feel different from the other when bumping along badly paved freeways, etc? Will definately go for a test drive, but you don't get a feel for how it feels after an hour or two on a long drive that way. In my experience of test drives, it's hard to be objective, as generally you're having a lot of fun!

Oh, and is the Z lower to the road? Already think I may have driveway issues, so if it's lower I may be forced the way of the C!

Nick

Last edited by nickV8; 05-25-2009 at 02:09 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:08 AM
nickV8
Intermediate

Originally Posted by danl72
Get the newest Vette you can afford. If you want a removable top and possibly an A6, that go for the C6. If you want the LS7 and wide body, go for the ZO6. You can't go wrong with either one. Take them both for a test drive.
What's an A6?
Old 05-25-2009, 02:10 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by nickV8
What's an A6?

Automatic transmission.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:26 AM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I have owned C5's, and now a C6. You can't go wrong buying any new Corvette.

You need to think about your long commute and the road surfaces and the Z. Don't own one, but have driven several. A 2007 for several hundred miles over rough Mid-West Interstates. Wisconsin to Chicago in December. The grooved concrete/tire noise would be unbearable to many inside the Z. Couldn't hear the radio.

Having said that, I couldn't have cared less! Weather was wet, but no ice. Loved it! Who cares about the radio! And, once on asphalt, it wasn't much noisier than my C6 convert. As an add, on the concrete it was more the noise. The ride was stiffer, as it should be, but not at all uncomfortable.

Some fabulous deals on new Corvettes out there, even on new Z06's. Something to be said about "new." However, if you have a budget point that allows a year or two old Z, but not a new one, I'd think about used. All Vettes are wonderful, but the Z is really something else. You have to drive it to understand. A Z is my next purchase, and used is very much in the mix.

Good luck, and remember buying any C6 is a smart move!
Old 05-25-2009, 03:34 AM
nickV8
Intermediate

Thanks guys. Very useful.

Nick
Old 05-25-2009, 03:41 AM
09C6VRGG
Drifting

I was in the same boat as you. I opted for a fully loaded Coupe MSRP 58K. I can take the roof off, and I can deal with traffic. My average speed after 850 miles is 16.5 miles per hour so I needed an automatic transmission.

If you live in a rural area get the Z, if you live in an over populated city get the Coupe with an automatic.

Also try to test drive the z06, an F55 suspension Coupe, a Z51 suspension coupe, and a base suspension coupe. You can't go wrong with any newer Vette. Also with the 09, you will have your 5 year warranty.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:23 AM
dwiemers
Pro

My Z06 scrapes wayyy less than the previous 3 coupes I had....the suspension is stiffer and I have an inclined driveway. I was surprised. The coupes bounce too much causing them to scrape......
Old 05-25-2009, 08:33 AM
Finster07
Pro

Excellent question. It totally depends on how YOU like to drive and what your commute is like. I purchased a new 07 C-6 mn6 and use it as a daily driver. I have put 20,000 miles on it and cherrish each one. I chose the base suspension for the commute. I have really enjoyed the car.

There are days though that I wish I had the Z06 fenders front and back, and the LS-7. I like the lines (and power) of the Z06. Honestly, if I had it to do all over again, I would have gone with the Z06.

Take your time, test drive both and figure out what you like. Either one is an excellent choice.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:41 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,937 Likes on 4,816 Posts

Tough decision but if it were me I would go with the new coupe. I like the removeable roof, I like the ride and I like the fact it is new.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Fonzijr1964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ever since i was in 7th grade i told my self i would get a convertible or a Z because the coupe is jut the z without the power (minus the top but the targa i consider to be nothing like a vert anyway)
Old 05-25-2009, 10:07 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Imho, if you are commuting on badly paved freeways, the Z06 will get old. The best all around daily driver(Imho) is a C6/F55 for the rougher roads with either a 6speed manual if you don't have a lot of stop & go & like to shift, or the 6 speed paddleshift auto A6 tranny, if you have a mix of heavy traffic & some open road driving. I have both( an 08Z & an 06 C6/A6/F55). Imho, the C6 is a better all around daily driver, & the Z06 is a better weekend/occasional back road, one with the car, rocket ship.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:11 AM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 238 Posts

Nick- your profile doesn't indicate where you live so you may want to add it . . . in my view, that's got a fair amount to do with your decision.

Do you mind shifting all the time in traffic for your commute?? Would you like the option of either the smoked Lexan top or solid roof that you can remove?

The Z definitely has more power and performance features but the stock C6 with a performance handling package may suit you just as well -especially if you like going "topless" . .

Good luck !
Old 05-25-2009, 10:13 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,598 Likes on 1,632 Posts

If you drive hard, like to row gears and don't care about taking off the top, get the Z. If you don't drive hard (or that is not a primary thing), have to deal with stop and go traffic or want to take off the top, consider the F55 Coupe with an A6.

Get notified of new replies

To Coupe or Z06?

Old 05-25-2009, 10:45 AM
yanniz
Burning Brakes

2 hrs commute every day? outs...

I would get the coupe....no reason for the Z plus you can save a few precious $s going that route..
Old 05-25-2009, 10:54 AM
BrooklynC6
aka allbottle¬hrottle

Location: Brooklyn New York The DVL and the chicken sleep with the fishes....
St. Jude Donor '08

Test drive them both , and decide what your priorities are .

The Z is awesome , but the LS3 will do 90% of what the Z can do on the street , within reason.

If the track is a serious concern , the Z is for you .
Old 05-25-2009, 11:01 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by nickV8
What's an A6?

Quick Reply: Coupe or Z06?