Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Door ajar/interior lights stay on when driving

Old 04-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Charley "Harley"
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door ajar/interior lights stay on when driving

I've got a 92 Corvette. The door ajar dash signal stays on all the time. My battery gets too low to start after the car sits for 2 days and the interior lights stay on while driving. A couple of times the lights flickered but stayed on and once they actually went out but the door ajar signal stayed on. I've checked both door switches and window hatch switch for continuity, plus taped them completely closed so I know it's not a door adjustment causing the problem. I have looked in both the manuals I have (Chilton & Haynes) and neither have a full circuit diagram and one doesn't even identify the fuse panel correctly. What is the fuse that controls the Door ajar/interior lights? Does anyone have a complete wiring diagram for this circuit or where can I find one on the internet? (My Chevy dealer has chose not to copy and share any of their repair information data anymore.) Is there some sort of relay in the circuit that can be at fault? Does anyone have more than a clue on what to investigate/fix the problem? Help please............I need my car!! THANKS FOR ANY HELP.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:49 PM
NEVRL8T
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of your problems is that you are using a Chilton & a Haynes manual. You need an Factory Service Manual (FSM). You can buy one at www.helminc.com this has a wiring diagram in it.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:27 AM
ottawabarber
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

mine flickers while driving
Old 04-22-2009, 08:04 AM
gw962
Racer

I'm not sure if it will be the same for a '92, but the FSM for my '90 recommends replacing the Courtesy Lamp Diode Module for these symptoms. The location is the rear cargo compartment, right of the fuel filler.
Also, pull your CCM codes, looking for 24 or 25.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:50 AM
wmupaprmkr
Cool Hand Luke of W MI
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 176 Likes on 125 Posts

I had the same problem with my 92 and mine was a faulty door ajar switch.
They are relatively cheap to buy and to change out you need to pull the door apart.
My symptoms were the interior lights coming on (usually when turning sharply over turning into a drive way, or the alarm coming on in the middle of the night (that was fun!).
I did have to add some tiny washers behind the plunger of the door ajar switch because it would not stay in the correct spot and then the plunger would snap off.
Good luck!
Old 04-24-2009, 10:54 AM
jimg's'93
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've actually read of some owners using epoxy to secure a quarter to the switch striker to close that gap.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:56 AM
wkndskier
Advanced

The door ajar switches have a plunger in the center. Shoot a little wd40 on the plunger then gently pry it out about an 1/8" with a small flat head screw driver. After you do that gently close the door (DO NOT SLAM IT). This will reset the plunger and should give the room the switch needs to close. Give it a try before you buy new ones. Worked for me. It solved the courtesy lights staying on and the flickering while driving. It's free and only 5 mins of your time!
Old 12-27-2017, 05:06 PM
nvrl8t
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by wkndskier
The door ajar switches have a plunger in the center. Shoot a little wd40 on the plunger then gently pry it out about an 1/8" with a small flat head screw driver. After you do that gently close the door (DO NOT SLAM IT). This will reset the plunger and should give the room the switch needs to close. Give it a try before you buy new ones. Worked for me. It solved the courtesy lights staying on and the flickering while driving. It's free and only 5 mins of your time!
I just did the trick for me. Fantastic!!!! Thank you!!!!
Old 12-27-2017, 09:58 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

You can replace the switch without removing the door panel. It takes a little patience and a long screw with the head cut off, but that's all.

1) obtain a long screw with the same thread as the existing screws.
2) remove the top screw and replace it with the long one. Thread in just enough to retain the backing plate
3) remove the other screw
4) slide the switch out on the long screw. This takes some patience to work the connector through the hole but it will come out still attached
5) disconnect the switch (don't let the cable go back in.
6) connect new switch
7) slide switch in and connect the bottom screw
8) replace the long screw with the correct one
9) Go through the door switch adjustment
Old 12-28-2017, 11:56 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,499 Likes on 3,586 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by belairbrian
You can replace the switch without removing the door panel. It takes a little patience and a long screw with the head cut off, but that's all.

1) obtain a long screw with the same thread as the existing screws.
2) remove the top screw and replace it with the long one. Thread in just enough to retain the backing plate
3) remove the other screw
4) slide the switch out on the long screw. This takes some patience to work the connector through the hole but it will come out still attached
5) disconnect the switch (don't let the cable go back in.
6) connect new switch
7) slide switch in and connect the bottom screw
8) replace the long screw with the correct one
9) Go through the door switch adjustment
This post years old, I think he fixed by now, but those are good idea's.

Get notified of new replies

To Door ajar/interior lights stay on when driving

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door ajar/interior lights stay on when driving