C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Body kit build

Old 04-20-2009, 06:14 PM
fulingbusen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Body kit build

I´m not completely sure how this started but I´m pretty sure I got convinced by a friend to import a C6 from the states. The plan was to find an "estitically" challenged C6 and, together with www.custommania.se , construct a body kit that looks good and performs well. This kit will be available for purchase in the future.

The idea for the body kit is to keep the beautiful lines that the Z06 has and complement it with side-skirts from C5R, "straighten" the lines of the wheel arches (vertically), work some fins into both front side fenders and modify the lower front lip. Custommania has a lot of racing experience so the influences come from racing even though the car itself will not be built for the track. Let me know if you have any ideas that we could use in this project!

After a couple weeks of looking I "won" an auction:

It was picked up and taken to the docks of California:

To be continued...
Old 04-20-2009, 06:40 PM
gomerjack
Pro

There are a few people who have designed good body kits but never got a chance to build them. You might contact them to see if you can build their idea...
Old 04-20-2009, 06:41 PM
gomerjack
Pro

I think that it would be great if the lower lip did not protrude as much.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Fonzijr1964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so u bought a junker?
Old 04-20-2009, 06:59 PM
SnapperDragon
Drifting

I think body kits are just...haenous...on an iconic car such as this. I know that others probably do not agree with me, though.

I am wondering of the total number of people who buy Vettes, how many of them would ever consider doing something that would spoil the good looks of a C6?

Personally, the ONLY part I don't like about my C6 is the front bumper cover, and only SLIGHTLY don't like it. I prefer the Z06 style. However, I only like it if it is truly on a ZO6 and not a C6.

Just my opinion.

Good luck. Sounds like fun work to design and try something like this out.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:30 PM
fastskyline
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a tricky thing to get right. if its done well they will sell a good amount i believe. if not then im sure there are some stupid people that will buy them anyways. for me the key is to make it look like something that could have come from the factory but cooler. if it looks like some panels that a 13 year old thought up and slapped on the car then ill save my $$$
Old 04-20-2009, 07:57 PM
v502
Racer

Good Luck with the project
Old 04-20-2009, 08:06 PM
RussellZ
Burning Brakes

I like it with the missing panel and smashed in door. Definitely a unique look.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:26 PM
fulingbusen
Advanced

Thank you for your comments, I hope that you´ll find this thread interesting.

I do feel that I have to explain myself first:
I am not trying to build a car that screams for attention although I do understand that the word "body-kit" on a forum like this will stir up some emotions. I hope that I will be accepted by most of you before this is over. I have worked on a lot of cars prior to this but consider myself more of a mechanic than "show-car owner", it will be a new exprience to focus on the outside of the car. The point of this project is not to make money but if there is interest it will be available for purchase. It probably will not be the cheapest body-kit but it will be of great quality which we would like to show you later on. It will not be produced in bulk but special-made after the customers request, custom changes is not a requirement but definetely encouraged. Please visit www.custommania.se for a glimpse of some work that´s been done in the past.

RusselZ: A friend of mine suggested that I should go for the "rat-look" that our air-cooled buddies likes so much. I think it would be different but I realized that it would be hard to get the outside of the Corvette in that golden-brown color.

gomerjack: Thanks for the suggestion, we have not looked into the shape of the lip yet but I´ll keep this in mind.

SnapperDragon: What can I say, I am not a Corvette fanatic but I do like most if its look. I hope I´ll be able to keep the good lines and improve the others.

Last edited by fulingbusen; 04-21-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:31 PM
6SPDRCR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by v502
Good Luck with the project
Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:39 PM
RussellZ
Burning Brakes

fulingbusen, the one thing you can always count on from CF members is an honest opinion. I'm sure we would all be happy to comment if you post some scetches/renderings before you actually begin your build. On the other hand, most Corvette owners are not as fanatical about their cars as we are. If you just want to make a few bucks, people will buy almost anything. If you want a quality product then the CF Members will definitely put you in your place if you stray off base.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:02 PM
fulingbusen
Advanced

Sounds good to me!
Old 04-22-2009, 05:37 PM
fulingbusen
Advanced

After the car had taken a little trip around the world (USA-China-Germany-Sweden), it was time to pick it up in Gothenburg.

The battery was dead, I blame the key/sender that was taped to the steering wheel.

Later that night, it had found its new home:

If anyone has sketches or drawings that they would like to see on the car, feel free to post them.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:00 PM
Atomic-Vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very cool. I'd like to see the progress, keep us posted. Don't worry about the Nay Sayers, a lot of the guys on this forum think that if it didn't come from the factory that way it shouldn't be on there, but that's just the old people talking. haha
Old 04-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Fonzijr1964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic-Vette
Very cool. I'd like to see the progress, keep us posted. Don't worry about the Nay Sayers, a lot of the guys on this forum think that if it didn't come from the factory that way it shouldn't be on there, but that's just the old people talking. haha
hey hey I am not old and i agree with that statement
Old 04-22-2009, 06:27 PM
STEVE MC
Safety Car

I would like to see how it turns out.

Keep posting on the progress.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Body kit build

Old 04-22-2009, 07:18 PM
stroked250
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep us posted, this looks like an interesting and big project!
Old 04-25-2009, 01:56 PM
fulingbusen
Advanced

Once in the garage it was time to examine it closer.

The interior needs a clean-up.

The engine sounded good but it was hard to drive since the upper trailer arm on the right side was bent.
I installed a new upper arm and while I was at it a new lower one as well. The lower arm seemed ok but I hade bought one beforehand just in case. The harness had been torn as well as you can see in the picture.

The radiator support had seen better days, I noticed that it had welded with a MIG/MAG. I´m not sure who had tried to do this but I´m pretty sure he was disappointed with his welding skills. It would have saved him a lot of aggrevation if he had noticed that the support is made out of aluminum...

A "new" door and right headlight had been sent with the car, it also needed a driver side door sill, driver side mirror, front harness, and various other small parts.

Here it is "naked"
Old 04-25-2009, 02:08 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Looks great

Keep us updated.... You will no doubt end up with a really nice car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 Body kit build