C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

TPI firing order

Old 03-22-2009, 05:07 PM
superspeeder
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPI firing order

Is this firing order same on 88 TPI?
Name:  firing_order.gif
Views: 58574
Size:  45.1 KB
I removed the distributor, distributor cap, spark plug wires and now I but them back together according to this picture and when I crank it nothing happens.
Distributor rotor can be assembled only two ways because there is a pin inside the bottom drive gear? If the firing order is same on 88 TPI can it just be timing? Can a slightest turn of the distributor mess up ignition?
Please help!
Old 03-22-2009, 05:18 PM
CAJUN C4
Safety Car

Yes it is.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:25 PM
superspeeder
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by CAJUN C4
Yes it is.
Is it possible to mess up the ignition timing that the car even don't start anymore whit slightest turn on the distributor cap?
Old 03-22-2009, 05:29 PM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,002 Likes on 836 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default dist.

Are you sure its not 180 degrees off?
Old 03-22-2009, 05:34 PM
floridamale
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find TDC #1 compression stroke position the rotor pointing at #1 cylinder or one tooth on the dizzy before . Should get you close enough to fire it up. You can also check your timing mark on the harmonic balancer should line up around zero on the tab. If you have pulled the dizzy you need to be sure that the rod it fits into look in the hole lines up with the bottom of dizzy, that drives the dizzy.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:24 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default timing

The rod on the bottom of the dist. turns the oil pump. if you have any oil pressure at all while cranking and the dist. is sitting on the manifold, your problem is base timing.
1. the #1 cyl. rockers have to be loose, engine on #1 tdc
2. the rotor in the dist. points to #1
3. the timing mark on the harmonic dampener is at the pointer.
4. THE DISTRIBUTOR IS PLUGGED IN......HELLO!

If any of the above is off, your timing chain could have jumped a tooth.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:36 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by superspeeder

I removed the distributor, distributor cap, spark plug wires and now I but them back together according to this picture and when I crank it nothing happens.
Distributor rotor can be assembled only two ways because there is a pin inside the bottom drive gear? If the firing order is same on 88 TPI can it just be timing? Can a slightest turn of the distributor mess up ignition?
Please help!
When you install the distributor with the rotor in place, the contact on the rotor should point towards the #1 wire as shown on the diagram. It's real easy to be a tooth or two off on the gear and that can throw timing way off and result in a no start.

As mentioned, bring #1 piston to TDC and pull the distributor. To find TDC, remove the #1 plug and cover the hole with your thumb. Spin the engine until you feel compression and you see the timing mark on the crank damper align with the 0 degree mark on the metal tab. You will probably need to clean the tab and use some paint or chalk to mark the line on the damper.

When you feel that, drop the distributor in so the contact on the rotor points to the #1 teminal on the cap and bolt the distributor down. Install the cap, #1 plug and the wire. Disconnect the tan/black wire leading to the distributor and start the engine. Set the timing with a timing light to 6 degrees BTDC or whatever timing value it says on the Emission Control Information Label. Then reconnect the tan/black wire.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:33 PM
floridamale
Safety Car

When I replaced the gear bottom of dizzy I noticed the harmoinc blancer had slipped, so you have to do both look at tab & TDC #1. Easy way to fine TDC is if you have a compression gague. TDC compression is absoult though no matter what is showing on timing tab.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:55 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If the outer ring of the balancer slips, it will be difficult to set timing with a timing light. Electronic timing control won't allow for too much of a variance beyond the initial setting of 6 degrees.

Even if you do get TDC from compression or watching the rocker arms on #1 cylinder, the timing mark on the balancer ring is still going to have to at the mark on the tab to get it right.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

Please help!
Once again this f%&ing diagram shows up and screws up someones timing. Ignore the "#1" on the distributor in the diagram. Drop your dist in with the pump drive engaged( the base will sit all the way down). You may have to lift and rotate the rotor to do this. Then bring #1 cyl on compression by feeling with your finger and line up the timing mark with 0. Wherever the rotor is pointing is now #1 so put the wires on clockwise from there 18436572 and fire it up.

Then time it with a light(est wire disconnected) to 6BTDC.

Oh yeah....burn that diagram when you are done
Old 03-23-2009, 03:28 PM
superspeeder
Heel & Toe

I managed to fire it up today. Idle was a bit rough, but I think I should wait until engine warms up and then set timing with timing light. I will do that day after tomorrow because my car is jacked up right now for lowering...
Anyway, thanks guys!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,719 Likes on 929 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

This is how my dad taught me to count! 18436572
Old 03-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Yorcci
Pro

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts

If you happen to forget that firing order, it's written on the stock intake manifold, between the egr valve and fuel pressure regulator

See the picture:

Old 03-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

I managed to fire it up today. Idle was a bit rough, but I think I should wait until engine warms up and then set timing with timing light. I will do that day after tomorrow because my car is jacked up right now for lowering...
Anyway, thanks guys!!!
You can tweak the dist to get it smoother before you put the light on it. Don't sweat the temp for base timing...it won't change anything
Old 03-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Kubs
This is how my dad taught me to count! 18436572
I actually remembered it when I did the 5.7 in my son's IROC after 15 years without turning a wrench...some things stick

Get notified of new replies

To TPI firing order

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPI firing order