C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 vs Mobil 1 Extended Life

Old 03-21-2009, 09:28 PM
Finster07
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mobil 1 vs Mobil 1 Extended Life

Whats the difference?

I just read a thread about Advanced Auto Parts having a deal for 5 qts Mobil 1 5-30 and the Mobil 1 filter for $29. Not bad. I called and they told me that's for either the regular or extended life oil.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:46 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Extended Service has extra additives to extend the period between changes. You can read exactly how much on the Mobil 1 website.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:47 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

At one point, the Extended Life was not yet certified for use in the Corvette.....is it now?
Old 03-21-2009, 09:51 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Yes, seems like quite a good oil, and it doesn't meet that GM spec for Corvettes. (from here: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...erformance.asp)

"Mobil 1 Extended Performance Pdf
Fully Synthetic Engine Oil Print View

Product Description Features and Benefits Applications Specifications and Approvals Typical Properties Health and Safety

Product Description

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-20, 5W-30,10W-30, and 15W-50 are advanced performance synthetic engine oils designed to provide protection and performance at extended oil change intervals of up to 15,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. Mobil 1 Extended Performance features extra performance additive that helps to provide outstanding protection during today's longer oil change intervals.

Features and Benefits

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30 and 15W-50 are made with a proprietary blend of high performance synthetic basestocks fortified with an advanced additive system, designed especially to deliver performance and protection during longer service intervals. Mobil 1 Extended Performance oils are uniquely designed to provide outstanding levels of performance, cleaning power and engine protection, even during longer oil change intervals. Mobil 1 Extended Performance oils are available in a wide range of viscosities. The 5W-20 and 5W-30 viscosities are recommended viscosity grades for newer vehicles. The 10W-30 viscosity provides excellent all-season performance and protection. Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15W-50 is formulated to provide outstanding engine protection for high performance engines and for consumers who want a higher viscosity oil and higher anti-wear performance ( ZDDP) than typically required by modern vehicles.

Features
Advantages and Potential Benefits
Fully synthetic formula with Advanced SuperSyn System Prevents deposits and sludge build-up to enable long engine life.Excellent overall lubrication and wear protection performance under all operating conditions.
Extra levels of performance additives Provides outstanding engine protection at oil change intervals of up to 15,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first
Outstanding thermal and oxidation stability Exceptional control of oil breakdown ; Helps maintain stable oil viscosity
Provides exceptional engine protection Helps maintain long engine life and is compatible with engine seals.
Excellent low temperature capabilities Quick cold weather starting for fast protection and extended engine life. Provides less stress on your starting system

Applications

Mobil 1 Extended Performance engine oils are recommended for all types of modern vehicles, including high-performance turbo-charged, supercharged gasoline multi-valve fuel injected engines found in passenger cars, SUVs, light vans and trucks.

* Mobil 1 Extended Performance oils provide guaranteed protection of critical engine parts for 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. Excluded service includes: commercial and racing applications; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or excessive idling.
* If your vehicle is covered by a warranty, follow the vehicle's oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner's manual. Proper maintenance practices, including frequently checking the oil level to ensure that the appropriate amount of oil is present, are required to ensure effective performance.
* New Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-20 delivers the viscosity recommended for most Ford and Honda vehilces since model year 2001. It is also the viscosity recommended for many Chryslers, beginning with model year 2005.

Specifications and Approvals

Mobil 1 Extended Performance meets or exceeds the following industry specifications:
5W-30
10W-30
15W-50
5W-20
ILSAC GF-4 GF-4 GF-4
API SM,SL,SJ,SH/CF SM,SL,SJ,SH/CF SM,SL,SJ,SH/CF SM,SL,SJ,SH/CF
ACEA A1,B1,A5,B5 A1,B1,A5,B5 A1,B1"
Old 03-21-2009, 09:58 PM
VETTE IV
Instructor

Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil does not meet the Corvette spec GM4718M per

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...nce_5W-30.aspx

Don’t use it
Old 03-21-2009, 10:00 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE IV

Don’t use it
Old 03-21-2009, 10:02 PM
rjwoerheide
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Righto. As already stated, stick with Mobil 1.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:07 PM
redjetty
Burning Brakes

Don’t use it
correct you are!!
Old 03-21-2009, 10:25 PM
RRVettes
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Good post. At first glance, I would have thought it would meet GM spec.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:39 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

And as of April first, with the Mobil One rebate certificate, 5 quarts will cost $16 at WalMart...leaves lots of money for any overpriced filter anyone would like!
Old 03-22-2009, 01:04 AM
Finster07
Pro

Originally Posted by cclive
And as of April first, with the Mobil One rebate certificate, 5 quarts will cost $16 at WalMart...leaves lots of money for any overpriced filter anyone would like!

Got it. Buy the regular stuff for only $16 at Walmart.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:54 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Yes, seems like quite a good oil, and it doesn't meet that GM spec for Corvettes. (from here: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...erformance.asp)

"Mobil 1 Extended Performance Pdf
Fully Synthetic Engine Oil Print View

Product Description Features and Benefits Applications Specifications and Approvals Typical Properties Health and Safety

Product Description

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-20, 5W-30,10W-30, and 15W-50 are advanced performance synthetic engine oils designed to provide protection and performance at extended oil change intervals of up to 15,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. Mobil 1 Extended Performance features extra performance additive that helps to provide outstanding protection during today's longer oil change intervals.

Features and Benefits

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30 and 15W-50 are made with a proprietary blend of high performance synthetic basestocks fortified with an advanced additive system, designed especially to deliver performance and protection during longer service intervals. Mobil 1 Extended Performance oils are uniquely designed to provide outstanding levels of performance, cleaning power and engine protection, even during longer oil change intervals. Mobil 1 Extended Performance oils are available in a wide range of viscosities. The 5W-20 and 5W-30 viscosities are recommended viscosity grades for newer vehicles. The 10W-30 viscosity provides excellent all-season performance and protection. Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15W-50 is formulated to provide outstanding engine protection for high performance engines and for consumers who want a higher viscosity oil and higher anti-wear performance ( ZDDP) than typically required by modern vehicles.

Features
Advantages and Potential Benefits
Fully synthetic formula with Advanced SuperSyn System Prevents deposits and sludge build-up to enable long engine life.Excellent overall lubrication and wear protection performance under all operating conditions.
Extra levels of performance additives Provides outstanding engine protection at oil change intervals of up to 15,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first
Outstanding thermal and oxidation stability Exceptional control of oil breakdown ; Helps maintain stable oil viscosity
Provides exceptional engine protection Helps maintain long engine life and is compatible with engine seals.
Excellent low temperature capabilities Quick cold weather starting for fast protection and extended engine life. Provides less stress on your starting system

Applications

Mobil 1 Extended Performance engine oils are recommended for all types of modern vehicles, including high-performance turbo-charged, supercharged gasoline multi-valve fuel injected engines found in passenger cars, SUVs, light vans and trucks.

* Mobil 1 Extended Performance oils provide guaranteed protection of critical engine parts for 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. Excluded service includes: commercial and racing applications; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or excessive idling.
* If your vehicle is covered by a warranty, follow the vehicle's oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner's manual. Proper maintenance practices, including frequently checking the oil level to ensure that the appropriate amount of oil is present, are required to ensure effective performance.
* New Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-20 delivers the viscosity recommended for most Ford and Honda vehilces since model year 2001. It is also the viscosity recommended for many Chryslers, beginning with model year 2005.

Specifications and Approvals

Mobil 1 Extended Performance meets or exceeds the following industry specifications:
5W-30
10W-30
15W-50
5W-20
ILSAC GF-4 GF-4 GF-4
API SM,SL,SJ,SH/CF SM,SL,SJ,SH/CF SM,SL,SJ,SH/CF SM,SL,SJ,SH/CF
ACEA A1,B1,A5,B5 A1,B1,A5,B5 A1,B1"
That's good just filled her up yesterday.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:21 AM
JERGENSEN LS3
Melting Slicks

Location: New Jersey - National Corvette Museum Member '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Good to know.....Thanks
Old 04-17-2009, 12:11 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Strange though that GM's own CD that comes with the corvette owners manual shows a gold capped bottle of Mobil-1 sitting on top of the LS3 in the maintenance section of the video when talking about oil changes.

I don't think GM even knows or isn't going to officially say it is the better oil. If anything, they are not going to encourage people to try to go for 15k mile intervals, if I had to guess.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:31 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Don’t use it
That's what I was told when I asked waay back.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:03 PM
zich6
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Since mine isn't a DD, I end up changing at 1 year way before 5K, so it's not worth it for me.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:24 PM
USAF-Vette
Pro

Guys,

I have seen countless oil analysis on Mobil products. The current oil standard is SM. The introduction of the SM standard mandated a reduction in Zinc and Phosphorus in the oil to around 800 parts per million or so. The previous standard was SL, which capped Z and P at ~ 1000ppm. By the way, SL Mobil Synthetic did meet 4718M. Anyway, it is my opinion that Mobil 1 Extended Life is nothing more than the old SL formula with a new label. I base this on oil analysis from the previous "regular" Mobil 1 Supersyn and the "new" Extended Life stuff......the numbers are identical.

Stuff like this happens all the time. Some of these (if not all) certifications cost money. Sometimes it's just cheaper not to get it, even if the oil meets and even exceeds the standard.

Another good example is Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 5W-40. It is exactly the same as the Famous Delvac 1, 5W-40 Gas/Diesel engine oil. Yet, under the Delvac label, the oil costs some 15-20% more a quart.

Anyway, my point is, the Extended Life stuff will meet and exceed 4718. I would use it without hesitation.....not for 15k miles though.

Rick

Get notified of new replies

To Mobil 1 vs Mobil 1 Extended Life

Old 04-19-2009, 05:48 AM
ssv3
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by USAF-Vette
Guys,

I have seen countless oil analysis on Mobil products. The current oil standard is SM. The introduction of the SM standard mandated a reduction in Zinc and Phosphorus in the oil to around 800 parts per million or so. The previous standard was SL, which capped Z and P at ~ 1000ppm. By the way, SL Mobil Synthetic did meet 4718M. Anyway, it is my opinion that Mobil 1 Extended Life is nothing more than the old SL formula with a new label. I base this on oil analysis from the previous "regular" Mobil 1 Supersyn and the "new" Extended Life stuff......the numbers are identical.

Stuff like this happens all the time. Some of these (if not all) certifications cost money. Sometimes it's just cheaper not to get it, even if the oil meets and even exceeds the standard.

Another good example is Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 5W-40. It is exactly the same as the Famous Delvac 1, 5W-40 Gas/Diesel engine oil. Yet, under the Delvac label, the oil costs some 15-20% more a quart.

Anyway, my point is, the Extended Life stuff will meet and exceed 4718. I would use it without hesitation.....not for 15k miles though.

Rick
Absolutely agree with you and as a matter of fact just put in the Mobil1 EP two days ago. Not waiting for 15k to change my oil.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:16 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I've currently got the Mobil 1 Exteneded oil in my Vette. The last time I was due for a change, I couldn't find the regular Mobil 1 and went ahead and got the extended oil just to get the change done.

I'll change it out when the oil life monitor indicates it's time for it, and will look for the regular Mobil 1 for my next fill.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:08 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Originally Posted by USAF-Vette
Guys,

Rick

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mobil 1 vs Mobil 1 Extended Life