C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not activating the onstar on new car

Old 03-08-2009, 01:25 AM
da vette guy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default not activating the onstar on new car

i don't want to activate my onstar subscription, my salesman is begging me please do it,says it will cause him alot of grief but i really don't want them knowing where i'm at or what my speed is or what my engine sensors and modules are doing. anyone else feel this way or done this?
Old 03-08-2009, 01:42 AM
02-z28
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by da vette guy
i don't want to activate my onstar subscription, my salesman is begging me please do it,says it will cause him alot of grief but i really don't want them knowing where i'm at or what my speed is or what my engine sensors and modules are doing. anyone else feel this way or done this?
If/when I buy a 'vette, I will rip out the Onstar module from the car.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:44 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

It will *not* cause the salesman any grief *except* for when his sales manager questions him on why he wasn't able to wheedle you into it. See if you can get him to beg for doggie treats Don't fall for that BS. They know that if you do sign up you are likely to keep paying for it for as long as you have the car. That's why they want you to do it.

If you don't want the thing then don't sign up. Pretty simple. "Just say no" is the phrase

You might want to read the FAQ re: what OnStar does/doesn't/can/can't do. There is quite a bit of (semi-understandable) paranoid mythology spread about the service...

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/privacy_policy.jsp

At the bottom...

Z//
Old 03-08-2009, 04:02 AM
NYC-Style
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

The first year free...I don't see the problem. When the year is up don't subscibe...pretty simple. They don't require any credit card info for the free first year..
Old 03-08-2009, 04:17 AM
E Stumpff
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

When you purchase the car you will have to sign one of two documents concerning "On-Star".

Doc#1: If you opt to accept the one year free trial, you will have to sign a document that acknowledges this fact and more importantly commits you to continue the On-Star subscription unless you notify On-Star that you are cancelling. Of course when you call the fun begins - long holds, etc. and meanwhile the charges keep on coming.

or, Doc#2: If you do not want the free one year trial and all the problems with cancelling later, you will be asked to sign a statement releasing the dealer and GM of liability should you crash the car an On-Star in not connected. An obvious scare tactic as a last resort to get you to allow On-Star into your life. But signing this document means that the dealer will never turn on On-Star in the first place.

At least that's the routine in PA at the moment.

ED
Old 03-08-2009, 06:37 AM
0Brian@RPT
Former Vendor

On my '08, I never activated the On Star and had no need for it.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:22 AM
CINIZTR Z06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

If you dont want it dont do it.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:29 AM
DjCritterus
Team Owner

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Z51 Silver Surfer
If you dont want it dont do it.
I opted not to get the On-Star activated when I bought my '05 in November. The dealer was begging me and offered up a few extra goodies but I didn't take them. I wish they would make the vette without any onstar features if you so desire to purchase it that way, too. The service jsut isn't worth it to me and the hands free minutes they sell... it's easier for me to connect my phone up wirelessly and use to voice recognition to dial my numbers.

GM can keep their On-Star and I'll keep the saved money in my bank account.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:36 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Your salesman?
Old 03-08-2009, 07:37 AM
bksnoopy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
It will *not* cause the salesman any grief *except* for when his sales manager questions him on why he wasn't able to wheedle you into it. See if you can get him to beg for doggie treats Don't fall for that BS. They know that if you do sign up you are likely to keep paying for it for as long as you have the car. That's why they want you to do it.

If you don't want the thing then don't sign up. Pretty simple. "Just say no" is the phrase

You might want to read the FAQ re: what OnStar does/doesn't/can/can't do. There is quite a bit of (semi-understandable) paranoid mythology spread about the service...

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/privacy_policy.jsp

At the bottom...

Z//
Paranoid?

If you think someone is out to get you, they most likely are!
Old 03-08-2009, 07:43 AM
Ambalanche
Instructor

Originally Posted by E Stumpff
When you purchase the car you will have to sign one of two documents concerning "On-Star".

Doc#1: If you opt to accept the one year free trial, you will have to sign a document that acknowledges this fact and more importantly commits you to continue the On-Star subscription unless you notify On-Star that you are cancelling. Of course when you call the fun begins - long holds, etc. and meanwhile the charges keep on coming.

ED
I have Onstar and other than trying the directions (no good, couldn't find my house, I bought a garmin) I don't use it although I like the diagnostics report. My question, based on your comment, how can they keep charging me after one year? I did not buy extra minutes, would've been kinda silly since I have blutooth, so they don't have my credit card #. I had an employee about a year ago that had a Saturn Aura and locked her keys in her car. When I told her to call OnStar, she said she had let it laps (sp) so I don't think they can keep charging you if you don't renew. I think it's a good service, but I think they should offer a super-basic service for maybe 50 bucks a year that would include the diagnostics, unlock and emergency notifications. I don't need it for anything else.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:47 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by 02-z28
If/when I buy a 'vette, I will rip out the Onstar module from the car.
You might just want to disable the Onstar. Ripping out the "Onstar module" would prevent your car from starting it will also prevent your radio, seats and drivers information center from operating but Hey, at least no one would know where you are!
Old 03-08-2009, 07:50 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

apparently you don't have a clue about OnStar or the rest of your car...you go ahead and rip that stuff out

pssst...... it's the Black Box under your seat that will tell investigators all they need to know, not OnStar
Old 03-08-2009, 08:22 AM
bksnoopy
Drifting

I would like to give credit to the member who posted this but I can't remember where I got this write up. :o

I have not done this so I don't know if it works.

to disable....

a) Remove the one and only fuse for OnStar

b) At the back of your car, open the right rear storage compartment, the OnStar module is in there, you might have to pry up the carpet to get at the VCIM (OnStar Module).

c) UNPLUG connectors J1, J2 & J3 ...and UNPLUG the 2 antenna connections. One antenna is for OnStar's GPS signal. (If you have a 3LT car w/NAV, don't worry, the NAV has it's own GPS antenna!) The second antenna is OnStar's Cellular Phone Antenna.

d) The 4th connector, J4, is part of your car's Computer Network Data Bus. LEAVE that connector alone! If you unplug J4, your engine will not start. If you REALLY want the OnStar box out of your car THAT bad, you NEED to install a termination resistance! The easiest solution is to just leave the OnStar module in the car with J4 connected! The OnStar module will be TOTALLY DEAD!!

Ben, OH
Old 03-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Onstar should be an extra cost option for the people that want it.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:39 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by bksnoopy
I would like to give credit to the member who posted this but I can't remember where I got this write up. :o

I have not done this so I don't know if it works.

to disable....

a) Remove the one and only fuse for OnStar

b) At the back of your car, open the right rear storage compartment, the OnStar module is in there, you might have to pry up the carpet to get at the VCIM (OnStar Module).

c) UNPLUG connectors J1, J2 & J3 ...and UNPLUG the 2 antenna connections. One antenna is for OnStar's GPS signal. (If you have a 3LT car w/NAV, don't worry, the NAV has it's own GPS antenna!) The second antenna is OnStar's Cellular Phone Antenna.

d) The 4th connector, J4, is part of your car's Computer Network Data Bus. LEAVE that connector alone! If you unplug J4, your engine will not start. If you REALLY want the OnStar box out of your car THAT bad, you NEED to install a termination resistance! The easiest solution is to just leave the OnStar module in the car with J4 connected! The OnStar module will be TOTALLY DEAD!!

Ben, OH
While this is good information, it only applies to 2005-2008, the 2009 Corvettes are completely different. Just worth noting.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:57 AM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,884 Likes on 792 Posts

I activated it for the first year free.....never used it. But watch out if you do! They start to automatically bill you after the free year runs out...and they dont tell you either....all of a sudden I started seeing monthly charges on our credit card...it had gone three months before I saw it (wife was paying the bills and just figured I wanted it).....I called them and raised hell and demanded a refund....got it too. They said they "cant just turn it off because its a rescue device and legally they cant". Gosh it made me mad.

Get notified of new replies

To not activating the onstar on new car

Old 03-08-2009, 09:02 AM
E Stumpff
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ambalanche
I have Onstar and other than trying the directions (no good, couldn't find my house, I bought a garmin) I don't use it although I like the diagnostics report. My question, based on your comment, how can they keep charging me after one year? I did not buy extra minutes, would've been kinda silly since I have blutooth, so they don't have my credit card #. I had an employee about a year ago that had a Saturn Aura and locked her keys in her car. When I told her to call OnStar, she said she had let it laps (sp) so I don't think they can keep charging you if you don't renew. I think it's a good service, but I think they should offer a super-basic service for maybe 50 bucks a year that would include the diagnostics, unlock and emergency notifications. I don't need it for anything else.
You are correct in that they will not be able to actually get any of your money but they will make all kinds of threats to turn you in for collection since the paper you sign is in fact a contract that puts the burden of cancellation on you. They do know your address and bills will arrive as there is a charge for the basic service even without mobile minutes. So until you go through the cancellation process they will keep charging. It's just easier to never have On-Star turned on by the dealer. Don't let the dealer tell you you have to have it turned on - there is another option.

ED
Old 03-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Wezel
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...i really don't want them knowing where i'm at or what my speed is or what my engine sensors and modules are doing.
Lots of good info available if you do a search on "TIN FOIL HAT".
Old 03-08-2009, 09:55 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,918 Likes on 4,804 Posts

I do not feel as you do, I activated the onstar for my free trial, year just ended I called them and told them to cancel. No problem, but if you do not want to even try it for a year fine, I will say it has some nice features.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: not activating the onstar on new car