C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Walk Me Through Removing the Battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 06:07 PM
slplank
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Walk Me Through Removing the Battery

I have a 1990 Vert that will soon require a new battery. Taking a quick look under the hood I can see it will not be your typical remove / replace scenario. That baby is buried. Can anyone describe the best approach and any "gotchas" to look out for? I did a search but surprisingly did not turn up what I was looking for.

Thanks for any input.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Default Very easy to remove battery...

Originally Posted by slplank
I have a 1990 Vert that will soon require a new battery. Taking a quick look under the hood I can see it will not be your typical remove / replace scenario. That baby is buried. Can anyone describe the best approach and any "gotchas" to look out for? I did a search but surprisingly did not turn up what I was looking for.

Thanks for any input.
The side panel comes off - screws on inside of fender, and loosen one on the bottom, access thru a slot between the frame and the panel - you'll see it when you get on your prayer bones. (No need to remove the bottom screw, just loosen it as the panel is slotted there to accomodate easy removal.) Slide the pannel toward you and a way from the battery. Nuttin toit!

P.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:29 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

It's really pretty easy. The side panel comes off, and you slide the battery right out.

http://www.corvettemagazine.com/2001...ttery/bat1.asp
Old 03-05-2009, 06:32 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

What ever you do do cheap out and leave the 10MM bolt at the bottom tightened and pull the fender panel out,you will break the panel and then youll be buying a new one.A thin 10MM wrench works best getting the bottom bolt lose.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:35 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Default Just did it last month on my '92 convertible!

Well, it's not as easy as some, but can be done in about two hours or so with hand tools. The key is it doesn't come out upwards - it goes out sideways by removing the "fender" panel between the front of the door and the wheel well, underneath the bottom edge of the hood clam shell.

That in itself is a multi step process because some of the fasterners are either hard to get to, hidden under other body pieces, and./or require the special Torx head tools. It goes like this:

1. remove the first front 3 fasteners from the underside of the rocker panel trim piece so you can drop it down away from the bottom of the fender panel to get to a hidden bolt there.
2. remove the bolts from the top, bottom, and front of the fender panel. The front ones are Torx and require at least turning and maybe removing the front wheel to get at them. Remove the fender panel.
3. Remove the battery hold down bolt and then slide it out sideways thru where the fender panel was. BE CAREFUL NOT TO HIT THE BATTERY TERMINAL POSTS ON THE METAL BRACKET ABOVE IT THAT HOLDS THE CAR'S COMPUTER/CPU. You can fry the CPU if you do.

Reverse the process for installation.

Good Luck!

Last edited by tuxnharley; 03-05-2009 at 06:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Well, it's not as easy as some, but can be done in about two hours or so with hand tools. The key is it doesn't come out upwards - it goes out sideways by removing the "fender" panel between the front of the door and the wheel well, underneath the bottom edge of the hood clam shell.

That in itself is a multi step process because some of the fasterners are either hard to get to, hidden under other body pieces, and./or require the special Torx head tools. It goes like this:

1. remove the first front 3 fasteners from the underside of the rocker panel trim piece so you can drop it down away from the bottom of the fender panel to get to a hidden bolt there.
2. remove the bolts from the top, bottom, and front of the fender panel. The front ones are Torx and require at least turning and maybe removing the front wheel to get at them. Remove the fender panel.
3. Remove the battery hold down bolt and then slide it out sideways thru where the fender panel was. BE CAREFUL NOT TO HIT THE BATTERY TERMINAL POSTS ON THE METAL BRACKET ABOVE IT THAT HOLDS THE CAR'S COMPUTER/CPU. You can fry the CPU if you do.

Reverse the process for installation.

Good Luck!
2 hours?15 minutes tops.This is not a difficult job,4 Torqs bolts at the front of the fender panel,if you dont have the Torqs bits you can get by with an Allen key set,2 10MM bolts,one on top one on the bottom between the fender and rocker panel,this one you have to look for but its not hidden.
The following users liked this post:
89corvettemann (02-13-2024)
Old 03-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Vett4Ted
Intermediate

Obvious ... But be sure to remove the negative cable 1st , and then the positive last. There is a metal bracket above the positive, and you do not want to risk a direct short with a wrench...
I may have to do my 92, in a few days also..
Good luck ..
Ted
Old 03-05-2009, 08:34 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default 15 minutes???????????

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
2 hours?15 minutes tops.This is not a difficult job,4 Torqs bolts at the front of the fender panel,if you dont have the Torqs bits you can get by with an Allen key set,2 10MM bolts,one on top one on the bottom between the fender and rocker panel,this one you have to look for but its not hidden.
Hey Jeff - I'll be happy to pay you shop rate for 15 minutes next time mine needs changing!!!!!! Maybe you're just a lot younger and fasster than I am! Or, maybe it was because I was talking about total time including taking the old battery to the store, buying a new one, and bringing it back to install it - as well as a beer break or two along the way!
Old 03-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Hey Jeff - I'll be happy to pay you shop rate for 15 minutes next time mine needs changing!!!!!! Maybe you're just a lot younger and fasster than I am! Or, maybe it was because I was talking about total time including taking the old battery to the store, buying a new one, and bringing it back to install it - as well as a beer break or two along the way!
Sure,I could use the money,Im in Fremont.I forgot one of the tools,13MM socket and 6 inch extension for the hold down clamp.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:34 PM
deerra
Burning Brakes

Quite frankly, it's a PIA to change. Same with the fuel filter. Nothing like engineering a car to make regular maintenance items difficult to service.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:44 PM
96polovette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will want a socket wrench with a long extension for the battery hold down bolt. And take off any metal watch or jewelry. Last time I was installing my battery I was trying to get the positive bolt screwed into the battery and my metal watchband touched the negative terminal while I was fooling with the positive and I got zapped!
Old 03-05-2009, 09:59 PM
kenmack
Pro

Default coupla hints

Turn your wheels hard left and ignition lock them in position.
This allows access to the 3 torx head screws (2 diff sizes)in the fenderwell.(remove completely)If your new battery has plastic caps on the terminals,save them to put on your old battery for removal(no shorts).
I've done this a dozen times and never loosened the bottom screws. (If your slow and gentle) the panel flexes enough to remove old and install new battery.
Just one 1/4 " or 5/16"screw in door jam to remove.
P.S.When you put that screw back in the doorjam,ensure that the panel is aligned correctly,with the door (closed)and the hood (down)
20-30 min tops.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:23 PM
ELVIS' C4
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '09, '13

make sure you check the alignment by gently shutting door to make sure it doesn't scrape paint...take your time...still should take you no more than 15 min once you have done it once

enjoy!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Eakster
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This one's a great introduction to C4 construction - fasteners all over the place and 3 different tools to get a panel off.. have fun
Old 03-06-2009, 01:25 AM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, it's not as easy as some, but can be done in about two hours or so with hand tools
2 HOURS??
That must include an hour and half nap.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:26 AM
mikeb
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 80 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Good Luck!

I take mine out thru the top. 15 minutes max.

Remove the cruise module, unbolt top of brace, swing brace over a few inches, tilt battery, comes out at about 15 degree angle.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:29 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by touringmike
I take mine out thru the top. 15 minutes max.

Remove the cruise module, unbolt top of brace, swing brace over a few inches, tilt battery, comes out at about 15 degree angle.
This is what I had to do on my car also, I have a ground effects package and it goes over the panel so this was much faster,15 minites tops for the whole job..WW

Get notified of new replies

To Walk Me Through Removing the Battery

Old 03-06-2009, 10:48 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Geez, what a tough crowd!!

Originally Posted by jabez
2 HOURS??
That must include an hour and half nap.
OK, maybe I'm slow, or you guys all wrench for a living or something - but I was trying to give the OP a reasonable guess as to how long it will take HIM the FIRST time he does this, what with switching tools, total project time including taking the old battery to the store to exchange for the new one in the middle of the process (tell me again how that alone takes only 15 minutes?), etc.

Tell you what - let's let the OP be the final say on how long it takes him once he's done - he can report back and see who's closer to reality.

Beer bet, anyone?

PS - the bottom bolt on my fender panel is absolutely covered up by the rocker panel, no way to get to that one without dropping the rocker panel first. Maybe yours is different, but that's how mine came from the factory - never been hit. Also, on my '92, it's not just the cruise control unit that would have to be moved to take the battery out upwards, it's that AND the CPU/computer. No way I can see to do that in "15/20 minutes". Maybe some of you guys have earlier C4s where the CPU was located inside the car.

Last edited by tuxnharley; 03-06-2009 at 10:57 AM. Reason: added info
Old 03-06-2009, 11:02 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Man, you must be REALLY hard on your battery!

Originally Posted by kenmack
I've done this a dozen times and never loosened the bottom screws.
20-30 min tops.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:38 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

[QUOTE=tuxnharley;1569189472]OK, maybe I'm slow, or you guys all wrench for a living or something - but I was trying to give the OP a reasonable guess as to how long it will take HIM the FIRST time he does this, what with switching tools, total project time including taking the old battery to the store to exchange for the new one in the middle of the process (tell me again how that alone takes only 15 minutes?), etc.

Tell you what - let's let the OP be the final say on how long it takes him once he's done - he can report back and see who's closer to reality.

Beer bet, anyone?

QUOTE]

This is where the discrepancy lies, usually you only count the mechanics of the job, not the breaks, or travel time, or beer runs...:o,,WW

Last edited by WW7; 03-06-2009 at 12:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Walk Me Through Removing the Battery